BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Smile EBC Sport Rotors / Cool Carbon Pads

This maybe should be in the Brakes / Suspension section; but since my intention is to improve my breaking at the track, I decided to put it here.

I've done one HPDE day with cool carbon pads and OEM Stock Rotors. Performance was surprisingly good. I wasn't going 100% though, cause I still had certain feelings that it'll over heat and fade, but could've just been paranoid.

I ordered a set of EBC Sport Rotors, and will be trying out this combo on Feb 4th at PBIR (Palm Beach International Raceway). Will probably update this thread on how it goes, I just installed and bedded them in, so hoping for good results.

Thanks for looking and I'll keep you posted for anyone that's interested.
      01-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

hey you're running the same thing I did for my last track day. If you're still running in the Novice group you should be fine with the setup and it's great on the street. however, once you get to the intermediate group and you really start picking up speed and braking you'll need to up to race spec pads. I'll go through a brand new set of CC's in a 2 day HPDE now Went through 3 sets of cc's and my stock pads last year.
      01-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
hey you're running the same thing I did for my last track day. If you're still running in the Novice group you should be fine with the setup and it's great on the street. however, once you get to the intermediate group and you really start picking up speed and braking you'll need to up to race spec pads. I'll go through a brand new set of CC's in a 2 day HPDE now Went through 3 sets of cc's and my stock pads last year.
I just started running intermediate, so yeah, I'll wear these then probably move to some hawks or something. Thanks for the heads up, how did they stand up to heat though? Bedding them in, I kept getting the brake light come up.. Trying to find out what that means, can't really remember.

Doing hard 70 to 10 stops and 80 to 10MPH that is, stops.
      01-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you got a yellow "BRAKE" light, from what we could tell it basically means you've been hitting the brakes very hard and there be fade. I get that light on all the time at the track haha. Rotors did fine with the heat, although on a hot day you'll still get a bit of fade from these pads once they really start getting hot. You'll probably get away with a track day out of them, but if your in the inters, def look at getting some race spec pads.

I just picked up a set of Hawk DT70's and DT60's for a pretty good price for this year. Also i'm going to be running the RB 2 piece rotors. If you're want to know where from PM me and i'll send you over to my friend. Also are you running the titanium shim backing plates? If not pick up a set before your next track day...highly recommended.

PS...just noticed your sig picture...we both run white 135s and have the same number haha...i use 117 and 17
      01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If you got a yellow "BRAKE" light, from what we could tell it basically means you've been hitting the brakes very hard and there be fade. I get that light on all the time at the track haha. Rotors did fine with the heat, although on a hot day you'll still get a bit of fade from these pads once they really start getting hot. You'll probably get away with a track day out of them, but if your in the inters, def look at getting some race spec pads.

I just picked up a set of Hawk DT70's and DT60's for a pretty good price for this year. Also i'm going to be running the RB 2 piece rotors. If you're want to know where from PM me and i'll send you over to my friend. Also are you running the titanium shim backing plates? If not pick up a set before your next track day...highly recommended.

PS...just noticed your sig picture...we both run white 135s and have the same number haha...i use 117 and 17
Yea, it was the yellow light, goes away after driving for 30secs or so.

Nice, those are actually my two numbers as well, 117 and backup of 17.. funny. I'm much lowered now than in that picture, also just put on some Vorshlag Camber Plates at 2.5 neg in the front... first time with those.. I'll hit you up about the RB Two piece, those are in my shopping list, but probably for after a screw these up a bit.

Thanks again
      02-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
So I ende up going with DTC-70 Front and DTC-60 Rear; man am I glad I did! Thanks Focusedintntions for the advice as well. These pads were amazing, allowed me to brake way later, the rotors did a pretty good job at dispensing heat, ~-150 degrees from previous track days.. could also be that most of the time, I got a full cool down lap, so take that number with a grain of salt.
      02-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Glad they worked out for you!! Did you bed them in at all before the event?
      02-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad they worked out for you!! Did you bed them in at all before the event?
yup, installed and bedded the Friday before; but even during bedding procedure, I could tell the huge difference right away, almost didn't have to bed them in.. lol almost, but I did..

8 stops from 70-10 from 65% to about 80% brake force
3 stops from 85 to 10 from 70% to 90% brake force

Worked out great
      02-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

By chance did you drive to the track with them in or pop them in and out at the track?

I'm asking b/c i'm debating popping mine in before i leave and swapping back when i get home....3.5 hour drive each way.
      02-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
By chance did you drive to the track with them in or pop them in and out at the track?

I'm asking b/c i'm debating popping mine in before i leave and swapping back when i get home....3.5 hour drive each way.
Mine was about 2hr drive, I drove with them on there and back.. put my streets back on yesterday.. no issues at all.
      02-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks