BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
max102654
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Picked up a new 328i and bye bye to 135i, for now

I love my 135i but during the past 3 years since I owned the car, I had problems on Hpfp, fuel injectors, transfer pump, run flat tires and sensors. The last incident was the car died on the freeway on our way back from Las Vegas and we got stranded in the desert that is 160 miles from Los Angeles. The dealer at first refused to even fix the car stating no problems found. I had to call BMWNA to finally get that resolved. I picked up the car on a Saturday and got rear ended on the freeway the next Monday on my way to work. I know accidents have nothing to do with the car but I just have enough. I picked up a new 2011 328i, the last of the inline six engines still in the dealer lot. I got a good deal as it was on clearance. I don't care if it is the old body style or the old engine. No more forced induction and no more turbo; I just want a lack luster basic reliable car as an everyday driver and a car that I have confidence to take to a long trip.

As for the beloved 135i, we’re going to shelf it in our garage, along with the Lotus Elise as well as the Cayman R. These are all great fun weekend cars that we love but too much hassles for everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

You are lucky to have space to keep so many cars. Sorry about the wreck, I hope you were not hurt.
      07-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

why didn't you get a 128i
just kidding! A good deal is a good deal!
      07-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Goodluck with the new car...I no the feeling when enough is enough but luckily this has not been the case with my 135i....22,000 miles and had the HPFP changed(fixed) 9000 miles and a squeek in the armrest(,Fixed),All has been perfect... although with other cars i have sold a couple that were real annoying with issues and drove me nutzz. .My issue is i have a Porsche 911 Carerra fixation ATM and i want one bad....probably a 2006-2009 6mt low mileage 911 will soon grace my garage with the 1....which goes to my son.
      07-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Sorry to hear that you felt it necessary to get something else more reliable. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. 09 135i with 41,000 miles and no issues. I had the HPFP replaced by the dealership, no issues with it prior just replaced it. Also a driver side window regulator issue, window would go up 3/4 of the way and then come back down again. No other issues with the car in the last year.
      07-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I thought the new 4 cylinder Turbo is a lot faster than the old 328?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Congrats on the 328! At least you get to keep your 135...we dont have room for one more car so I'm selling mine. The wife hates it anyway

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
L8*Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

If you just couldn't take it anymore then why would you buy another BMW????? All the problems you stated had nothing to do with the 135i or that it had a turbo. HPFP was a BMW problem not a 135i problem and admittedly was fixed. Post seems pointless.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8*Apex View Post
If you just couldn't take it anymore then why would you buy another BMW????? All the problems you stated had nothing to do with the 135i or that it had a turbo. HPFP was a BMW problem not a 135i problem and admittedly was fixed. Post seems pointless.
Pointless, nice and good for you to decide. Just to let you know, the NA engine does not have a HPFP, so yes it is only a issue with the 35i engine. If you really don't want to look like a smarta$$, do your research first before posting pointless comments.
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post
Pointless, nice and good for you to decide. Just to let you know, the NA engine does not have a HPFP, so yes it is only a issue with the 35i engine. If you really don't want to look like a smarta$$, do your research first before posting pointless comments.
Bingo.

328i/128i won't have turbo failure, HPFP failure, DI carbon buildup, and various other turbo problems.
      07-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Bingo.

328i/128i won't have turbo failure, HPFP failure, DI carbon buildup, and various other turbo problems.
Or more specifically a pre-2012 328i won't have those problems.

To the OP, with the Elise and Cayman R in the garage, I don't see the point of keeping the 135i. If it were my garage, the 1er would collect dust.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Sorry about all the trouble your car gave you, hopefully you'll have better luck with the new 2011 3er! Enjoy driving the Ultimate Driving Machine
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
L8*Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk
Quote:
Cool story bro.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post

To the OP, with the Elise and Cayman R in the garage, I don't see the point of keeping the 135i. If it were my garage, the 1er would collect dust.
Yup.

And yeah, I would focus on having the Elise break down and drive the Cayman R.

Quote:
Cool story bro.
Great response. I'm sure we can look forward to loads of other valuable contributions from you.
      07-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Bingo.

Yes, the N54 did have HPFP failures, and the problem has been largely fixed.
Once the recall was issued, all replacements since then have held.
N55's, if they have the newest pump, also don't have HPFP failures.
So, this problem is one that plagued the N54, but no longer.
To say, "...and various other turbo problems.", is really an incorrect assessment.

As for turbo failure, they are as likely to fail as any other mechanical part in/on the engine. Fact is, BMW turbo failure is rare.

Carbon buildup occurs in any internal combustion engine, including normally aspirated engines. The increase in carbon buildup issues with many modern engines is due to direct injection where the fuel can't help clean some of it away. The 328i NA engine is a direct injection engine as well, thus it to has a greater chance for carbon buildup.

Other general failures in BMW's are part of any BMW, and are often ECU related, much like the OP's 135i dying on the highway.

I understand the OP's particular situation has caused him much grief. And in his desire to get something "more reliable" he chose the 328i.
Nothing wrong with a 328i, it's a sweet automobile, as has often been stated on this forum. His 328i has as much chance to be reliable as any 1 series at this point. The turbo waste gate issue was on early models, and has been fixed, as well as the HPFP problem. The major issues have been addressed.
Thus, which model 328i or 335i is more reliable is about even at this point.

The only significant issue at this point, is that as BMW's with turbo engines get older, there is an increased chance in a turbo going out, and that means that the long haul possibility of increased repair cost is higher for a turbo BMW. Yet, there are now higher mileage N54 BMW's out there, and no reported big rash of failed turbo's. So, no evidence that one would suffer
those "...other turbo related problems."
Just wanted to set the record correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yes, the N54 did have HPFP failures, and the problem has been largely fixed.
Once the recall was issued, all replacements since then have held.
N55's, if they have the newest pump, also don't have HPFP failures.
So, this problem is one that plagued the N54, but no longer.
To say, "...and various other turbo problems.", is really an incorrect assessment.

As for turbo failure, they are as likely to fail as any other mechanical part in/on the engine. Fact is, BMW turbo failure is rare.
Just from the first page of the maintenance forum:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712843
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704584

Two threads with multiple people having turbo failures, with a few a 33k. Fact is, it's not rare.

Maybe we should check elsewhere? Oh look, on the front page of the 1Series section of GetBMWParts.com it's replacement turbos on discount, before any other part.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=132126

Funny, I don't see other engine parts like cam shafts on that first page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Carbon buildup occurs in any internal combustion engine, including normally aspirated engines. The increase in carbon buildup issues with many modern engines is due to direct injection where the fuel can't help clean some of it away. The 328i NA engine is a direct injection engine as well, thus it to has a greater chance for carbon buildup.
Wrong again cupcake, the N52 does not have direct injection. You might want to do a do a little bit of fact checking before you spout your nonsense.
      07-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I cant believe you bought another BMW..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks TheSt|G for correcting the flow of wrong info, as to the OP congrats on the purchase the N52 is a gem especially when paired with the manual.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Thanks TheSt|G for correcting the flow of wrong info, as to the OP congrats on the purchase the N52 is a gem especially when paired with the manual.
Indeed.

I suspect in time people will discover what it is. The last and the best of the non M varient NA I6 engines BMW made.
      07-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Indeed.

I suspect in time people will discover what it is. The last and the best of the non M varient NA I6 engines BMW made.
+1

I hopefully with my AA tune tomorrow even better
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

2010 135 with over 2 1/2 years without any mechanical issues what so ever and thats with the PPKI installed. Its been the most trouble free new car I ever purchased.

Most of the turbo issues are on cars with after market tunes and many of the other warranty voiding parts. There might have been some early released 08 cars that had issues but that has been worked out since then. If owners want to roll the dice by upping rwhp to 400+ they should accept the fact that parts will break. And those who are quick to show threads should also realize that many of these cars are pushing limits much more than BMW built it for. Even still, turbo failures are quite rare.

Everyone knows that forums are a place for owners to air their grievances. We hear complaints here but in the grand scheme of things, they arent a common occurance contrary to what some might say. Just the few who need to vent.

As far as the direct injection, I know most of us 135 drivers can live with the fact that it will likely require bead blasting the intake every couple years and easily accept that to get the quick throttle response, increase in TQ and better mileage. Factor in the cost of fuel savings over a couple years the price for the work goes down considerably. Besides, Im not worried about forking over a couple Franklins down the road. Its not gonna break my bank. Cost of doing business and owing a car with such a spectacular, award winning engine. I'll leave it to others to pinch pennies.

The vast majority of us dont have turbo failures or pump issues and have quite dependable, quite fast, performance coupes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
max102654
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
I thought the new 4 cylinder Turbo is a lot faster than the old 328?
I do not want a Turbo this go around. I already have a 6 cylinder Turbo. The point is for everyday drive and long trip, I just want to get a reliable NA I6 engine. I do not believe a bit that the reliability of the forced induction turbo is going to be the same as the NA I6 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post

I did think about trading in the 135i but we still have some hopes for the 135i. "Might be" they really fix all the problems. It is such a fun car when it is working. The N54 got another engine of the year award, LOL. It might be just my bad luck. The 135i performs so effortlessly and it is always a joy ride. Trying to get in and out the Elise can break your back and you feel every single bump on the road. Cayman R is fantastic but don't want to put too many miles on it. Since the car is already paid off so why not just shelf it for a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy View Post
I cant believe you bought another BMW..
I was so frustrated with BMW when the dealer refused to fix my car and I did comtemplate to switch. But BMW handles so well and I just can't find another sports sedan that can compare. Some of the brands make me feel like I'm riding on a boat. Others are very stable but feel totally disconnected. BMW is our Ultimate Driving Sports Sedan.

Quote:
Indeed.

I came to the same conclusion after my three years with the 135i. It actually took me a while to find a 2011 328i which meets my choice of color and options. Most of the dealers sold out 2011 models or they were turned into loaners. I was so overjoyed to finally find one. The sales guy said he never met a person so happy to see an old model. I intend to keep the 328i for a long long time.
Appreciate 0