BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Getting stir crazy not being able to polish in the winter - Rav4 Tire cover

Hey everyone,

So I been getting my brochure together for my side-business of detailing and really liked the name Car Spa for it. Come springtime I will be massaging out defects on cars and giving them that spa treatment to look and feel brand new!

Yesterday I experimented on a tire cover, in my basement, for a Rav4 that was purchased on eBay for a lot less than a brand new painted one would be. Reason being is that my client's car was hit from behind and decided to pocket some money by buying a used one that could be refreshed to make it new again. Here we go!

This is what I was looking at

Here are my supplies resting on the table (Yes I cleaned out my Megs cutting pad to a porous state again. As a warning to all, optimum cut cannot be achieved when the pores on the pad are clogged with dried compound)

White claybar

Not so white claybar

After two passes with M205 on megs polishing pad. It definitely was not able to massage out the defects.

Compared to the untouched side

Here are some 50/50's after 2 passes with M105 and a single pass of M205. The paint could breathe again

All finished up and layered two coats of Collinite 476s to let cure overnight. The tire cover was detoxified and looked fresh. Knock on wood it doesn't get hit again when people lose themselves in this clean, wet paint!

Thanks for looking!
      02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Jesus H...that looks fantastic! Great transformation
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Jesus H...that looks fantastic! Great transformation
Thanks man!
      02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Its always good to start small and black is a pain to clean up but the results are very much worth it. Looks great!!! Did you use glaze at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaweizen
Its always good to start small and black is a pain to clean up but the results are very much worth it. Looks great!!! Did you use glaze at all?
Yeah been polishing for three years now and I am confident in my abilities to handle come what may. Small customer base is ideal for me as I already have a full time job which I am fortunate to have. I want to keep it small and not explode so that every weekend of mine is booked.

No glaze. I personally don't like them unless I am burnishing the paint. Some people overdose with glaze as a protectant but my Collinite 476s has proven quite the durable companion. At least my GTI thinks so in upstate winters. Definitively purchasing opti coat 2.0 next month when I detail a black x3.

Thanks for the comment!