BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
J_pasta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -searching-

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
custom vs bought exhaust

What is the difference between buying a pre-manufactured exhaust system, vs a custom made exhaust from a exhaust shop?

just trying to see why and what reasons ?

I feel you can get a full system made for the price of the premade axle backs, and or similar prices but get what you want rather then what a company sells?

Last edited by J_pasta; 04-20-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Really? This is self explanatory
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
J_pasta
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Really? This is self explanatory

Oh thanks, that answers my question perfectly. Im glad you took time out of your day to do nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I guess it all depends on what you want. You could also build a car yourself as opposed to buying one "off the rack". ?

As for exhaust systems... I really LOVE my BMW Performance Exhaust. So many guys have put one one and never a negative comment. It's relatively quiet at part throttle but loud at WOT. Its the best of both worlds. No drone and it's a factory made part with ZERO fitment issues. Get one!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_pasta View Post
Oh thanks, that answers my question perfectly. Im glad you took time out of your day to do nothing.
I had to LOL at this answer:

But for me, I wouldn't buy a premade exhaust unless it met MY requirements.

Does it produce more power?
How much does it cost?
How does it sound?
How does it look?

If it can't do any of those properly, I would build a custom exhaust with the parts I selected. Wait...I'm already planning on doing that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
The benefit of an off-the-shelf exhaust is that you can have some idea of how it'll sounds before making the purchase. To get a custom exhaust to sound exactly the way you want it, you'll need some experience, luck and / or a fabricator thats willing to work with you ($$).

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint

Last edited by BBursey; 04-20-2014 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Materials and labor are cheap, you'll soon find that exhaust are overpriced nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Stainless steel pipe is not really that cheap. A fraction of the price of an exhaust, sure, but it's not exactly cheap. Mandrel bending machines are very pricey, especially ones that can do long lengths of 3" and larger. You could be looking at $100k easily. Good tig welding machine, and a skilled welder to do the work ... It adds up fast. Mufflers and resonators are not cheap either. A good Magnaflow muffler is around $100 or more. Plus tips, flanges. You could easily have $350+ in just raw materials in a downpipe-back exhaust for our cars.

You can get a mild steel, crush bent, mig welded, unfinished tip, cheap muffler exhaust for cheaper, sure.
      04-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
And labour costs do depend on your location. Unfortunately, I live in a city where is seems no one will lift a finger for less than $100 / hr.

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Stainless steel pipe is not really that cheap. A fraction of the price of an exhaust, sure, but it's not exactly cheap. Mandrel bending machines are very pricey, especially ones that can do long lengths of 3" and larger. You could be looking at $100k easily. Good tig welding machine, and a skilled welder to do the work ... It adds up fast. Mufflers and resonators are not cheap either. A good Magnaflow muffler is around $100 or more. Plus tips, flanges. You could easily have $350+ in just raw materials in a downpipe-back exhaust for our cars.

You can get a mild steel, crush bent, mig welded, unfinished tip, cheap muffler exhaust for cheaper, sure.
Are you on drugs? Stainless is indeed cheap - $55 for a 4' section of stainless steel, and that's not even the cheapest way. I wouldn't be surprised if you can buy all the bends you need and the piping for less than $150. Welding? Any muffler shop can cut and weld, including Midas - Muffler, you only NEED one and a resonator can be again, had for 150ish (from Magnaflow). You don't need to buy a mandrel bender, a welder or anything else of the sort.

You're obviously one of those people who think 500-1000 for a muffler is somehow a "value."

http://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust-Header...10263/10002/-1
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

A custom exhaust can be fine tuned to increase gains in the RPM range. By reducing backpressure, and having a bigger diameter piping can help increase high RPM HP at the cost of low end torque.

Yada Yada..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
J_pasta
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

certainly not looking to do this myself, and buy the tools. more of a take it to a shop type custom.

And from what i have read, its more of a ease of purchase, and piece of mind for what you already know its going to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

I can tell you by experience that if you are going to do a proper stainless exhaust setup with all TIG welds, proper flanges and quality resonator and muffler you won't save enough money to cover your time to do it. I've built several exhaust systems for cars now and the parts aren't as cheap as you think unless you can get them locally. Shipping adds up quick.

Your only going to pick up 5-10 HP for an exhaust system on these cars, it's really all about shedding some weight and getting the sound you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Any muffler shop can cut and weld, including Midas
Seriously? Lets buy nice piping and take it to a bunch of shops that can't weld worth shit with a MIG that typically isn't even setup or maintained properly and they are not using stainless wire. If you going that cheap you mights as well just have them expand it and clamp it on.
      04-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #14
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
A custom exhaust can be fine tuned to increase gains in the RPM range. By reducing backpressure, and having a bigger diameter piping can help increase high RPM HP at the cost of low end torque.

Yada Yada..
lucky on our turbo cars, you GAIN low end torque with the additional spool

personally i want to learn how to tig weld so i can DIY manifold/exhaust.

either way, spending $1k on a muffler alone is pretty insane when you can get custom ones for a couple hundred bucks, let alone off the shelf ones welded on for less...

just depends whether you're willing to trial and error for the sound you want!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
lucky on our turbo cars, you GAIN low end torque with the additional spool

personally i want to learn how to tig weld so i can DIY manifold/exhaust.

either way, spending $1k on a muffler alone is pretty insane when you can get custom ones for a couple hundred bucks, let alone off the shelf ones welded on for less...

Yeah 1K for just a muffler is ridiculous. But if you really love that sound like alot of people like the PE then there's isn't much of a choice. Not sure on these cars but you'd be surprised how muffler placement, single vs dual piping, x pipes, number and type of resonators can make a difference.

TIG welding isn't that bad but it's nice to watch somebody else in person first as youtube videos are pretty hard to follow. Welding stainless is pretty easy and you can go back and clean up your welds easier. Aluminum is the bitch and can be very unforgiving. Biggest thing is prep and making sure your cuts line up perfect, taking your time and having a proper system of clamps to hold everything properly is key.
      04-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Yeah 1K for just a muffler is ridiculous. But if you really love that sound like alot of people like the PE then there's isn't much of a choice. Not sure on these cars but you'd be surprised how muffler placement, single vs dual piping, x pipes, number and type of resonators can make a difference.

TIG welding isn't that bad but it's nice to watch somebody else in person first as youtube videos are pretty hard to follow. Welding stainless is pretty easy and you can go back and clean up your welds easier. Aluminum is the bitch and can be very unforgiving. Biggest thing is prep and making sure your cuts line up perfect, taking your time and having a proper system of clamps to hold everything properly is key.
Yeah i had a chat with a guy who made his own manifold after learning to weld on progressively thinner and thinner aluminium, then moving to SS which is significantly easier

for basically first time, it looked pretty close to perfect.

and like you said.. spending several times longer prepping than welding is totally normal haha

fortunately i hate the PE sound, so no worries for me :P
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
You don't need to buy a mandrel bender, a welder or anything else of the sort.
He's talking about the shop needing these items, and since you are benefiting from them, part of what you pay goes into that. He's not suggesting the OP go buy them. You might try some reading comprehension before you go trying to imply other people are idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
This is exactly what it's about. What's your time worth, do you feel like gambling, and at what point do you say "good enough"? There's something to knowing what your'e getting before hand, buying it, installing it, and calling it a day. Spend that extra time on the patio grilling and having a beer as opposed to multiple trips to a shop and even then taking a chance it doesn't end up how you want.

I'm a DIY guy, and even though my time is in fact worth something it's hard to not be involved, so I tend to do the latter. I can't blame anyone for doing the former.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #18
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Are you on drugs? Stainless is indeed cheap - $55 for a 4' section of stainless steel, and that's not even the cheapest way. I wouldn't be surprised if you can buy all the bends you need and the piping for less than $150. Welding? Any muffler shop can cut and weld, including Midas - Muffler, you only NEED one and a resonator can be again, had for 150ish (from Magnaflow). You don't need to buy a mandrel bender, a welder or anything else of the sort.

You're obviously one of those people who think 500-1000 for a muffler is somehow a "value."

http://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust-Header...10263/10002/-1
You're annoying. You're *obviously* one of those people who don't like the fact that people can buy whatever the hell they want for whatever the hell reason they want. Are you poor?

OP: Two letters R and D.

Take your chances with something you (or Midas) makes from whatever is laying around or they got from the nearby construction site, or go with a proven performer.

The exhaust manufacturers aren't in business because of the number of suckers that are willing to pay such exorbitant prices for their products.

:rollseyes:

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
You're annoying. You're *obviously* one of those people who don't like the fact that people can buy whatever the hell they want for whatever the hell reason they want. Are you poor?

OP: Two letters R and D.

Take your chances with something you (or Midas) makes from whatever is laying around or they got from the nearby construction site, or go with a proven performer.

The exhaust manufacturers aren't in business because of the number of suckers that are willing to pay such exorbitant prices for their products.

:rollseyes:
Obviously an idiot who believe he has "money" driving a preowned 1 series. Why would I envy you or anyone else on this board when there are people who are truely wealthy I could resent?

Most of these companies that produce these products don't R&D: they make a guess, mock up some JIGs and mass produce a product. Raw material cost are cheap, labor equally as so - many products (after the design phase) are manufactured in Asia, and shipped over.

This bottom feeder here believes that a name brand automatically offers a substantial boost in what you're able to manufacture yourself, or believes that 304 stainless steel at one shop is different than the 304 grade stainless of another.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:

I think $55 for 4' is pretty expensive, and that's just one of the raw materials you will need. You'll need several pieces like that to make an exhaust, especially when over 1/2 is dual pipe. Cost of materials will add up quick. $350-500 just in materials isn't too crazy. Flanges, hangers, hardware, prebent pipe. Add in labor and I think you see why a full exhaust (downpipe back) can be $1000+.

Midas is not going to make you a back-purged, TIG welded custom exhaust for $150 in labor. They'll slap something together with a MIG. It might work fine, I suppose. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. You can get an exhaust for a lot of cars off ebay for $250 or less.

I don't think $500+ for a rear muffler alone is reasonable. This "you must be" routine is extremely childish.
      04-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
He's talking about the shop needing these items, and since you are benefiting from them, part of what you pay goes into that. He's not suggesting the OP go buy them. You might try some reading comprehension before you go trying to imply other people are idiots.

This is exactly what it's about. What's your time worth, do you feel like gambling, and at what point do you say "good enough"? There's something to knowing what your'e getting before hand, buying it, installing it, and calling it a day. Spend that extra time on the patio grilling and having a beer as opposed to multiple trips to a shop and even then taking a chance it doesn't end up how you want.

I'm a DIY guy, and even though my time is in fact worth something it's hard to not be involved, so I tend to do the latter. I can't blame anyone for doing the former.
Apparently, it's a mistake the OP and I both made - could it be that it was just poorly worded? It's silly, you really are paying a huge mark up JUST for the name and nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #22
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I think $55 for 4' is pretty expensive, and that's just one of the raw materials you will need. You'll need several pieces like that to make an exhaust, especially when over 1/2 is dual pipe. Cost of materials will add up quick. $350-500 just in materials isn't too crazy. Flanges, hangers, hardware, prebent pipe. Add in labor and I think you see why a catback can be $1000+.

Midas is not going to make you a back-purged, TIG welded custom exhaust for $150 in labor. They'll slap something together with a MIG. It might work fine, I suppose. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. You can get an exhaust for a lot of cars off ebay for $250.

I don't think $500+ for a rear muffler alone is reasonable. This "you must be" routine is extremely childish.
Why would you use dual pipes when a single pipe is more surface area, lighter and flows better? So when piping itself is under $100 (including bends) where does that leave the rest of the cost? Mufflers? Well, Borla and Magnaflow both offer highflow and fairly quiet options for under $150. Hangers can be done by ANY competent exhaust shop, I've seen it done a million times over - What else is there?

So where are you going with this?

You're obviously a brand snob who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and thinks that everyone one the internet is just as uninformed as he is. It's getting old - quick.
Appreciate 0