BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

NPC Organic Clutch

Hi guys

I am looking at getting a new clutch. Obviously there are all the American versions, and if you browse the forms there are a lot of horror stories with the 3 main ones, APC (I think), Clutchmasters and Spec. Sending back a clutch to the US isn't on my to do list.

As a result I decided to reach out to an Australian company to see if they did one. NPC have provided clutches for a few of my friends with JDM vehicles, and they do one for the 135i (8 bolt flywheel. I need to check if my 2008 135 is 8 or 6 bolt).

I was just wondering if anyone had installed the clutch and could give me any feedback.

Thanks
David
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I would be very interested to hear about this local option too. In my experience NPC make great clutches in the jap crowd. Having a replacement full face option that could hold the N54's torque would be excellent news.
      07-09-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep

The guys from NPC have been good to deal with so far. I emailed through an enquiry and they got back to me about it as well as my further queries. Their clutch should hold 60% more torque than factory while still feeling quite good.

I didn't see the listing on their website and it was my brother who insisted I email them.

Thought I would just throw it out there and see if anyone had one, since it appears to be a specialty order maybe?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:58 AM   #4
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

would be interested if well priced and could build one to hold as well as a spec 3+ or greater

though, i haven't heard bad reviews on the latest spec clutches at all.. they had a poor.. something part, a couple of years ago i thought?

someone also recently mentioned spec might be open to producing a twin plate.

i'm all for supporting local, as long as there isn't a huge 'local tax' on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep

$1625 is what I have been quoted. I think from memory the spec 3+ was going to cost me $1700ish shipped to my post code. That was a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #6
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you're looking for custom options, you could try DCS (Direct Clutch Services) at Albion.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

I personally wouldn't go beyond a Spec 2+ and maybe steel SMFW for a road car.

Remember, when there's a problem, people go online and complain. When things go smoothly, you never hear from them again and they make no noise.

I would never go by the forums to determine the quality of a component especially for a niche item that not many people who post online bother doing. Best you spoke to the vendors who sell them on what they're like on returns. I know a majority of the issues on spec have been install issues.

A local alternative would be good to see though!
      07-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
dan_brooks
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
If you're looking for custom options, you could try DCS (Direct Clutch Services) at Albion.
I had a DCS clutch in my 500hp supra. Originally went for a carbon twin plate (was balls to drive), then went to them and they spec'd up a clutch that held the power but was stock-like to drive. I told them I wanted it to hold the power/torque, was easy to drive on the street, and wasn't going to be dragged or have hard launches, and just let them do their thing! They're also highly regarded in the QLD Supra Club.
If my current car needs a new clutch I'll definitely talk to them before sourcing one from the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep

Just keeping this thread updated. I ordered the NPC Clutch and SMFW on Monday and it arrived today (Wednesday). I haven't removed the clear plastic wrap but it looks like a quality product.

Clamping load is 1800kg, which from memory puts it in the vicinity of the Stage 3+ options from the US? Its supposed to be 60% more than stock, so that would put it in that product range.

I will do up a review when I get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #10
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabnine View Post
Just keeping this thread updated. I ordered the NPC Clutch and SMFW on Monday and it arrived today (Wednesday). I haven't removed the clear plastic wrap but it looks like a quality product.

Clamping load is 1800kg, which from memory puts it in the vicinity of the Stage 3+ options from the US? Its supposed to be 60% more than stock, so that would put it in that product range.

I will do up a review when I get it installed.
Thanks for the update. Very keen to hear your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Looking forward to your review. What was the cost if you don't mind me asking?
      07-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
NoOg_sTaR
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i, ZZT231

Did they provide a organic face?

I am running a DCS custom ceremic with SMFM conversion. It is currently back with them due to a few problems.

I wish NPC built one back when I needed it. I have a NPC in my other car and I have no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOg_sTaR View Post
Did they provide a organic face?

I am running a DCS custom ceremic with SMFM conversion. It is currently back with them due to a few problems.

I wish NPC built one back when I needed it. I have a NPC in my other car and I have no complaints.
Its a coppermix organic single plate.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

What weight SMFW did you go with and what material is it made out of?
      07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Billet Steel Flywheel, I believe they only have one weight, and I am not certain what that is. They had the whole kit in stock so I didn't ask of there were options since I was primarily concerned with it being organic and its clamping pressure and single mass.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #16
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabnine
Quote:
Billet Steel Flywheel, I believe they only have one weight, and I am not certain what that is. They had the whole kit in stock so I didn't ask of there were options since I was primarily concerned with it being organic and its clamping pressure and single mass.
Ah ok, it would be interesting to know if there's any significant weight reduction compared to the stock DMFW.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the benefit of an organic compound clutch over others such as spec (not sure what compound they use either)?

I'll probably be in the market for a new clutch and SMFW myself soon once my arm heals as in getting DMFW high rpm misfires as well what I suspect may be clutch slip but could be tyre slip.
      07-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #17
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok, it would be interesting to know if there's any significant weight reduction compared to the stock DMFW.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the benefit of an organic compound clutch over others such as spec (not sure what compound they use either)?

I'll probably be in the market for a new clutch and SMFW myself soon once my arm heals as in getting DMFW high rpm misfires as well what I suspect may be clutch slip but could be tyre slip.
The benefit of getting the organic compound was that by doing so I didn't have my brother telling me 'you should have got the organic compound like I told you to'. In other words my brother did explain it to me, but I wasn't really listening and just did as I was told. He is significantly more motor vehicle savvy than myself. I believe it is a drivability issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Sounds like as good a reason as any
      07-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #19
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep

I also decided to do the rear main seal at the same time. There are two part numbers listed.... BMW said they had sold a heap of one of them and only one of the other. I am guessing the one they sold one of, was probably someone ordering the wrong one. I decided to get both rear seals, new exhaust downpipe gaskets, pilot bearing, copper nuts, and aluminium bell housing bolts. Over $350 in Australia compared to ECS of $130. Its only $200 odd but that's just wrong. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium for local, that's why I was emailing Australian clutch places in the first place (and as it turns out, the clutch isn't much more than a stage 3 from the states, actually cheaper than some brands), but a mark up of that percentage on the 'consumables' is just insulting.

The rear seals were $27ish and I didn't want to have to wait another 5 days and pay another lot of freight if I was unlucky enough to order the wrong one, so I ordered both.

I also ordered that random metal part that replaces the plastic BMW bit from Rogue Engineering.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #20
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I got a quote of ~$3k for an NPC twin plate with about 4-5 weeks needing the trans to measure it all up.. which i thought seemed pretty reasonable?

then i got a reply from spec for theirs, $1500 RRP for the full kit which sounds awfully cheap :/
Appreciate 0