BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Antomero
Bavarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 14 Q5 14 Abarth

No allocation til October.

Is this true? Called a few dealers today, and finally found one that would would but me four on the list. But allocations wouldn't be available until October.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is true for the US. not sure which or what westchester you live in.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Antomero
Bavarian
United_States
Rep

Should I try other dealers?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Antomero
Bavarian
United_States
Rep

Westchester, NY. I've been told, there are 1, possibly 2 allocation per dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio View Post
Westchester, NY. I've been told, there are 1, possibly 2 allocation per dealer.
Not in this area. They are big dealers and getting more than that. However they have very long lists of people that are interested. When I went last year, each dealer already had like 4 orders in.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Each dealer gets one allocation. Large dealers may get more but the allocations are based on sales of 1 series and sales of M cars. Find a dealer that sells both in volume, and that's your best shot for them to receive mulitiple allocations.

See my post in another thread about locating a 1m. I called about half of the 300 dealers in the US last week and none have delivery dates before October... most are indicating October thru December, or " late fall".

There are circa 25 dealers in New York, and this is one of the few states I did not call. It looks from your original post that you finally found one that would put you in the fourth spot on their list?

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-05-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

The close dealers around here I have seen deliver, again not order but deliver, two to three cars already. However as mentioned before in another thread I think the large volume dealers got their allocations first (some cases three or four) and then the small dealers would get their one allocation. So it is my understanding that some of these large dealers will not be getting any more and would have delivered all the cars they are going to get by the middle of the summer and that's it. Someone please correct me if I got anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
The close dealers around here I have seen deliver, again not order but deliver, two to three cars already. However as mentioned before in another thread I think the large volume dealers got their allocations first (some cases three or four) and then the small dealers would get their one allocation. So it is my understanding that some of these large dealers will not be getting any more and would have delivered all the cars they are going to get by the middle of the summer and that's it. Someone please correct me if I got anything wrong.
It seems to be a case. I know a large dealer that was allocated four cars and their last allocation is in July. They are all spoken for.

Wow six more months till production ends.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Antomero
Bavarian
United_States
Rep

At this point I'm going to need luck on my side. Unless they produce more than what there promising.
I must say some dealers have no clue. I guess bmwna is releasing minimal information.
Keeping my fingers cross.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

My deposit went in Oct 2010 #1 on list and my allocation is not until Oct 2011. I asked the GM if he put my deposit in a good money market account for the year so could get some interest, he smiled and said your interest is getting the car for msrp.!!! Shut me up quick! Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

in my limited available time, Ive been trying to research the northeast (minus MA as its been fruitless). Personally I have found similar situation. For the most part, dealers are saying " no allocations until the (insert some month after Sept here)".

What varies is the optimisim each dealer has at getting another allocation AND the length of their particular waiting list. Both of which are not favorable to a buyers market!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
That may be the case, but I am hoping that they simply catered to the large volume dealers first (understandably) in the first few months of production. Then they switched gear to take care of the smaller dealers with 1 or 2 allocations in the next few months. Toward the end of the year, they will come back to the large volume dealers to fulfill whatever’s left.

My dealer is one of those large volume dealers. They have received one allocation so far each month from April through June (3 allocations). However, they have not gotten one this month as far as I can tell. I’m #6 on their list, so my chances don’t look very good at the moment (unless someone in front of me drops out). If I’m lucky, I will probably get the last allocation my dealer gets, and by the look of things now that probably won’t happen until December.

As much as I love to get a 1M, I have to say I won’t be too disappointed if I don’t. If I can’t get one, I’ll probably just go for a MY2012 E92 M3 (if they still make them next year). I figure the E9x M3 is a very mature platform now (i.e., most problems/issues should have been ironed out by now), and it’ll probably be the last M car with a great NA engine for a while, so it’s not a bad idea to get one actually.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

The large dealers in the DFW metroplex are the same. For those in the DFW area.. The two biggest dealers (BMW of Dallas and Classic BMW- Plano) have delivered two or three cars and a medium sized dealer (Moritz) has delivered two. There is a fourth dealer, Moritz... but they don't appear to be a big player when it comes to the 1M.

Here is how I see the figures

300 dealers. All get one car.
100 medium size dealers all get two more cars than the initial allotment.
75 large volume dealers get four cars more than the initial allotment.

Using this math, that totals 800 cars.

Note that this is just a rough calculation and I used round numbers to make the math easy, but basically my point is that roughly 125 of the approximately 300 US dealers are small and get one car. Then roughly 100 middle sized dealers get two to three cars and roughly 50-75 mega dealers get 5-6 allocations. After googling... I found an article indicating there are 366 US dealers.. no idea if this is correct... I have heard approximately 300.

It seems that the mega dealers got their first couple allocations April thru June. The middle sized dealers got one or two thus far, and roughly half of the tiny dealers are the ones that have already delivered their only car or are at the end of the list October thru December. Based on the lack of apparent US allocations, in July, august, and September, I would guess that anyone much beyond 7 on the depth chart at a mega dealer or beyond 4th on a moderate volume dealer probably should be concerned. The medium and large dealers likely will get one allocation a month again from October thru December.

Once again... want to clarify this is just my own personal guess on # of dealers and also on the relative size of dealers and allocations... And of course... my figures were indicated as an AVERAGE. Several of the mega dealers could certainly get more than 6-7 allocations for example and a few may get less.. etc.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-06-2011 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Here is how I see the figures....

300 dealers. All get one car.
100 medium size dealers all get two more cars than the initial allotment.
75 large volume dealers get four cars more than the initial allotment.

Using this math, that totals 800 cars.
I don't have any insider information, but I agree with your assessment.

It seems like they have purposefully pushed a lot of the production towards the end of the year (october-december). I suspect this was intended from the start, as some people were promised october allocations at the time of initial launch (i.e. Gabe at Bimmerfile). The rationale for doing this, however, escapes me, unless it it relates to production slow downs during august/september.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

I don't have any insider info either, I am in line just like you.... ( worse actually.. because I have no indicated production date from any of the THREE dealers I have deposits at...) After seeing the rollout thus far, and seeing how allocations have been in waves for different countries... Canada was first... then the UK.... then the US for three months... parts of Europe began getting allocations in June, July.... We know that August the plant shuts down for late summer break..... it appears the military allocations will be in September, and the majority of the remainder of the US allocations are October til the end of the year... . Then of course any remaining allocations for Europe or other parts after the end of the year when US production is over.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-06-2011 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #16
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
After seeing the rollout thus far, and seeing how allocations have been in waves for different countries... Canada was first... then the UK.... then the US for three months... parts of Europe began getting allocations in June, July.... We know that August the plant shuts down for late summer break.....
Yeah, that seems to account for the pattern of allocations. Perhaps from a manufacturing standpoint, it is necessary to do a batch for each country/region to simplify the production process.

Take solace in the fact that with DFW weather you will be able to drive yours regardless of when you take delivery. I on the other hand will drive home (if I am lucky not to slide off the road into a ditch) and put it away until next summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Yeah, that seems to account for the pattern of allocations. Perhaps from a manufacturing standpoint, it is necessary to do a batch for each country/region to simplify the production process.

Take solace in the fact that with DFW weather you will be able to drive yours regardless of when you take delivery. I on the other hand will drive home (if I am lucky not to slide off the road into a ditch) and put it away until next summer.

indeed.. that does suck.... and i have definitely spoken with a # of dealers in the far north part of the country that are expecting November and December allocations... ugh.. I'd hate to pick up a new car and drive in the slush home... basically to clean it up and park it.

As far as the manufacturing... Because of the differences in option packages from one country to another... and the fact that wiring harnesses for those items will vary, I am positive that is why the cars are made in batches for each country/region.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Just got called yesterday. My tentative October slot (September order) has been bumped. My advisor called and said I've got a slot for August with September delivery!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

I was VERY BUMMED yesterday... and happy to report that I may have some movement myself. I had last heard from my primary option dealer in early June.. sales dud didnt even reply to my email and call in MID JUNE, but sent an email today saying he would follow up later... and then I got a call from a second dealer which indicated that they now have a september production build..

once I can confirm ...I'll have a little more info to release regarding allocations.
Hopefully the people that have PM'd me to date have followed up on what I gave them..
Appreciate 0