BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #45
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
You get a chirp and the panic feature... and of course the Alarm actually works. Good news is, the clown nose starts to blink the moment you lock/arm the car without the programming.
      04-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #46
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
So I was about to pull the trigger and install the alarm this weekend but decided to call my local dealerships to get an estimate on coding the alarm. As it turns out they all said it will take 3 hours worth of labor. That means 390.00 just to code the alarm at the least expensive of the three dealerships. Can anyone else confirm this? The alarm is a great deal at 200.00 but paying double that just to program the alarm is ludicrous. I made it clear the alarm was already installed and it just needed to be programmed. They all said 3 hours!!!!!!
Get away from that dealer and never go back unless you have no other choice. Don’t even buy a car from them. They are trying to rip you off. All they have to do is plug in there computer to your car, bring up a program, select the car and option to download (alarm) and hit enter. Lucky for you maintenance is included on BMW’s or they would be ripping you off for service big time.
I had the alarm programmed on my Z4 and they tried to jam me for $200. Reading threads on the Z4 message board I found people were getting it programmed for $75. Some dealers even do it for free. I went back and talked to the service Manager and he came to his senses and charged me $75. There is only one BMW dealer within 300 miles where I live so I have no choice for service. But due to service like that where they try to rip you off I buy my BMW’s at another dealer. And from shopping around I was able to get my Z4 for $5,000 less and $2,000 more for my trade in than the local dealer would make the deal.
      05-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #47
HemisphereDancer
Private
Rep
Drives:

Not sure if this is the right place, but has anyone come up with a way to get the clown nose to light up when the car is off (to look like an alarm is installed since that will help keep a lot of people away)?

I have not received my car yet and maybe the light comes on but I don't think it does without an alarm.

Thanks for any help.

Ordered: 4/23/08 / Received: 6/21/08
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #48
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemisphereDancer View Post
Not sure if this is the right place, but has anyone come up with a way to get the clown nose to light up when the car is off (to look like an alarm is installed since that will help keep a lot of people away)?

I have not received my car yet and maybe the light comes on but I don’t think it does without an alarm.

Thanks for any help.
I am not sure if it is possible on the 1 Series. I know their are some E9X guys who built a breadboard that would effectively do this. There are how-to’s on e90post about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #49
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
Get away from that dealer and never go back unless you have no other choice. Don’t even buy a car from them. They are trying to rip you off. All they have to do is plug in there computer to your car, bring up a program, select the car and option to download (alarm) and hit enter. Lucky for you maintenance is included on BMW’s or they would be ripping you off for service big time.
I had the alarm programmed on my Z4 and they tried to jam me for $200. Reading threads on the Z4 message board I found people were getting it programmed for $75. Some dealers even do it for free. I went back and talked to the service Manager and he came to his senses and charged me $75. There is only one BMW dealer within 300 miles where I live so I have no choice for service. But due to service like that where they try to rip you off I buy my BMW’s at another dealer. And from shopping around I was able to get my Z4 for $5,000 less and $2,000 more for my trade in than the local dealer would make the deal.
I tried. All 4 dealerships within 50 miles of me all said 3 hours. Oh well.. such is life.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #50
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
So I was about to pull the trigger and install the alarm this weekend but decided to call my local dealerships to get an estimate on coding the alarm. As it turns out they all said it will take 3 hours worth of labor. That means 390.00 just to code the alarm at the least expensive of the three dealerships. Can anyone else confirm this? The alarm is a great deal at 200.00 but paying double that just to program the alarm is ludicrous. I made it clear the alarm was already installed and it just needed to be programmed. They all said 3 hours!!!!!!
There's a LONG post on E90post DIY section on installing the alarm. I believe it's in that post that people mention that BMW only allows the dealers to charge 1.5 hrs of labor for any reprogram. The people who posted were told by the service associated. Apparently, it can take a few hours to reprogram a car sometimes.
If you get an oil change, they may be able to charge BMW for it, or if you say you get the jerky acceleration some people get with the auto, they may do an update.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #51
Chewy
Rep
Drives:

Great instructions. I went out and purchased alarm from circle bmw. the car is still somewhere crossing the pond....did you get yours programed ?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #52
rob_nh
Rep
Drives:

Wait a second...

From the parts, it looks like you have a couple sensors (hood and ceiling) and a siren.

Given that, I'd conclude that the "brain" circuitry is already in the car. Wouldn't that make it EASY to enable the flashing light.

Hmmmm. I wish I had a SHOP/SERVICE manual with the darn wiring diagram for the 1-series. I'd figure it out quickly.

-Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #53
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Did this come with its own set of instructions? I'll assume it did. Great write up, I'll definately be doing this right away!

05-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #54
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_nh View Post
Given that, I'd conclude that the "brain" circuitry is already in the car. Wouldn't that make it EASY to enable the flashing light.
The siren is the 'brain' of the system. The 'clown nose' LED will not flash without it.

I'm (FINALLY) PDI'ing my 128i tomorrow. I will go into Progman and see what can and cannot be done with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #55
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
The siren is the 'brain' of the system. The 'clown nose' LED will not flash without it.

I'm (FINALLY) PDI'ing my 128i tomorrow. I will go into Progman and see what can and cannot be done with the car.
Woo hoo for you!!! Cant wait to see it!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #56
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I picked up my 135i at the Performance Center yesterday. I had paid the dealer for the alarm and it was to be installed at the Vehicle Prep Center. The alarm was not installed and the Performance Center said there was a software conflict with the alarm that caused the board computer to crash. Performance Center said that the dealer would take care of this at a later date. Don't know if this is true or just a cover story for an ordering mistake.
BTW this was my first PCD and I must say it rates as a top notch experience,
fun day with a great staff.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #57
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

dealer install

I am having my local dealer install the alarm system on my 128...again, the PCD in South Carolina said they couldn't do it. Total cost for the job was listed at $451 for parts, install, and tax; I'm assuming programming is included in the "install". Seeing other people are paying $400 just for the programming, I'd say I'm getting a good deal. What are the features of the system? engine immobilizer? or just flashing lights and siren?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #58
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I paid $225 for the alarm and $125 for programming. If anyone paid $400 for programming, the dealership should be ashamed.
      07-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #59
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23 View Post
I am having my local dealer install the alarm system on my 128...again, the PCD in South Carolina said they couldn't do it. Total cost for the job was listed at $451 for parts, install, and tax; I'm assuming programming is included in the "install". Seeing other people are paying $400 just for the programming, I'd say I'm getting a good deal. What are the features of the system? engine immobilizer? or just flashing lights and siren?

Cheers!
You already have an immobilizer.... the alarm gives you just flashing lights and a siren.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #60
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

my ignorance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by canlefty View Post
You already have an immobilizer.... the alarm gives you just flashing lights and a siren.
thats interesting to know, my dealership never mentioned an immobilizer on the 128 coupes, even when i inquired about the alarm, he just said its a passive alarm. What is required to 'immobilize' the car? forced entrance, wrong/or no key?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #61
08bmw128i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

I believe as soon as you remove the remote from the ignition slot your car is then immobalized.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #62
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08bmw128i View Post
I believe as soon as you remove the remote from the ignition slot your car is then immobalized.
Yep....

I'm unsure of US regulations, but here it is mandatory for every new car produced after September 2007 to have an immobilizer, and it's been mandatory in the UK since the late 90's. Because of this, there is no (or only a very small) discount on insurance for getting an alarm around here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #63
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Alarms are pretty useless IMO. The car has an immobilizer. If you leave stuff in the car attractive to a thief, they will get it no matter if the horn is beeping or not.

The cherry under the mirror is a good enough visual deterent to the 'honest' thief.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #64
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canlefty View Post
....and glass breakage/intrusion protection.
      07-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #65
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I paid $225 for the alarm and $125 for programming. If anyone paid $400 for programming, the dealership should be ashamed.
Did BMW already release software update which fixes alarm issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #66
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
....and glass breakage/intrusion protection.

Not protection, detection.
Appreciate 0