BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Getting the right coilover system

Hi guys !

Since I updated my thread and since I wanted to post in the correct section, I'm here to discuss of the right coilover system for my applications.

Regarding to the age and the pothole I hit one month ago, I have to change my suspension system. I thought about coilovers but, I can apply for dampers + springs too. The drawback of this solution would be less stiffness and sometimes a front too low (and worse with camber plates) ...

My ride has already some suspension mods. Here are they :
- E93 M3 front and rear anti-roll bars
- 1M/M3 front and rear suspension arms
- Powerflex Blackseriers subframe bushing inserts

I actually have the Eibach Prokit springs on the M-Sport dampers. They are 75000km old (~47000 miles).
I feel the ride a bit bouncy and the front dampers don't work "flat" when heavy cornering (high speeds in big curves on the highway or on the little roads).

I do some trackdays events (maybe 5 times a year) and I plan to do a Clubsport conversion to my car.

I don't want to have a harsh ride but I would like to perform on the track too (I know it will be a bit complicated).
In addition, I really would like to adjust the front camber as I wish, so camber plates will be a plus.

My budget will be 2500$ maximum, if less, I will be happy

Harold from HPAutosport, told me to have a look at the Öhlins Road&Track kit and he could upgrade it with Swift springs (400 front and 600 rear I guess).
Normally, and with the informations I saw here and there, this kit would outperform any OEM or Performance suspension. Moreover, it will overkill the KW systems.

I recently saw the TCKline 1-way adjustment coilovers. I saw good review from them and it includes camber plates too.

I think, we will exclude the Bilstein PSS here because of dampening problems seen here and there and the quality of finishing : paint simply goes out and the dampers rust !

I find KW a bit expensive and there are apparently other solutions.

So guys, I'm frightened about harshness, I want performances but I cannot offer me a 5k$ set

Any help would be welcome. In addition, I'm not in a hurry way, so I can wait if I want to

Thanks in advance and I hope this thread will help other guys who are in the same dilemma

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Since you have a pretty nice budget for the suspension, I'd say TCKs and Öhlins are the best coilovers you can get for our cars. KWs are very good as well, but with your budget, I'd get the aforementioned coilovers. However, since the car won't see the track much, for spirited daily driving, proper damper & spring combo would not be that much worse either. Especially Harold likes the Koni Yellows paired with Swifts.

Btw, I'm not speaking from experience, but from what I have read on here only.
      07-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

TCK or Ohlins are outstanding options. One thing to note is the Ohlins are galvanized like STs, so in theory they can get some surface rust on them. Personally I think people fret too much over that, but FYI.

KWs are over-rated an over-priced. I view ST's as a disposable item to be replaced every couple years, i'm swapping them out for Ohlins this fall. I've never understood why people spend well over $1K on KWV1s, makes no sense to me.

V1s/STs are very comfortable, I will say that. I've heard the same about Ohlins.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Just out of curiosity, why do you think KW are overrated and overpriced?
      07-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Bilstein B14 coilovers are worth considering, not too pricey.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
So guys, I'm frightened about harshness, I want performances but I cannot offer me a 5k$ set
While I don't have any experience with ohlins, I can comment on the TCK 2way suspension and buying direct from them.

Setup: 400F, 700R (track setup) with the 2 way adjustable set to stock damping levels which are pretty low... and the TCK camber plates. I've got all the similar M-bits as you have as well. I'd recommend going to 400/600 for spring rates though, which is the TCK general recommendation. They only recommended 700 rear for me as it's a track setup.

With this setup, and all setups, your "harshness" is going to be predominantly set by your shocks and how stiff they are set. I actually find the ride more acceptable with high spring rate and low damping than I did with a Dinan setup with high damping.

If you're looking for a high spring rate setup that performs well on road and at the track, I'd highly recommend the TCK setup. If you're looking for a bit more comfort, I'd go with the Ohlins as their springs are not quite as high as you can specify with TCK, unless you use an "upgrade" kit, which pushes shocks out of their designed operating range.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

I've been running Ohlins Road & Track for about 5k miles and in my opinion they are far superior to OEM in EVERY way. The Ohlins dampers handle all kinds of road imperfections with far superiority. I think Ohlins are the perfect solution for daily driving and track use. Ohlins are not traditional double adjustable like select TCK, AST or whatever, but they do adjust compression and rebound through one valve. Unless you absolutely need the dual adjustment for competitive AX or track I would go with Ohlins, seeing as your budget fits.

Just as an FYI - Ohlins (with supplied springs) have the ability to adjust approximately 1-inch lower than stock ride height, give or take depending on if you have M-Sport or non. I'm currently running the supplied springs and like being at M-Sport height.

If I had talked to Harold first I would have purchased the shorter Swift springs for tire clearance. The Ohlins springs set at factory height have a lower spring perch than factory thus limiting the ability to run wider tires than factory in the front. Of course you could run a mild spacer to get a bit of additional clearance but for me I'd rather get the appropriate perch height with a shorter spring and not run a spacer. If you go too wide you will also have to run aggressive camber (fixed of adjustable plates). In my research anything wider than 225, with stock alignment settings will require more camber.

Hope this helps.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
While I don't have any experience with ohlins, I can comment on the TCK 2way suspension and buying direct from them.

Setup: 400F, 700R (track setup) with the 2 way adjustable set to stock damping levels which are pretty low... and the TCK camber plates. I've got all the similar M-bits as you have as well. I'd recommend going to 400/600 for spring rates though, which is the TCK general recommendation. They only recommended 700 rear for me as it's a track setup.

With this setup, and all setups, your "harshness" is going to be predominantly set by your shocks and how stiff they are set. I actually find the ride more acceptable with high spring rate and low damping than I did with a Dinan setup with high damping.

If you're looking for a high spring rate setup that performs well on road and at the track, I'd highly recommend the TCK setup. If you're looking for a bit more comfort, I'd go with the Ohlins as their springs are not quite as high as you can specify with TCK, unless you use an "upgrade" kit, which pushes shocks out of their designed operating range.
I'm running #400F/#700R as well and I'd say the ride quality is MAYBE like 10% stiffer than M Sport.

It is extremely difficult to describe, because the shock valve curve actually extends the bump/imperfection in the road out more with a smoother arc than a typical OEM shock.

What does this mean? Well that harsh "bottom out" feeling you get when you hit a huge bump never happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #9
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Since you have a pretty nice budget for the suspension, I'd say TCKs and Öhlins are the best coilovers you can get for our cars. KWs are very good as well, but with your budget, I'd get the aforementioned coilovers. However, since the car won't see the track much, for spirited daily driving, proper damper & spring combo would not be that much worse either. Especially Harold likes the Koni Yellows paired with Swifts.

Btw, I'm not speaking from experience, but from what I have read on here only.
The only point is that if I buy in the USA, I will have custom fees to pay when the order will arrive in France. So the budget will be a bit less than said before
I've seen the Koni Yellow set with paired with Swifts, but I would be frightened not to have enoug rigidity or under damping or something like that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
TCK or Ohlins are outstanding options. One thing to note is the Ohlins are galvanized like STs, so in theory they can get some surface rust on them. Personally I think people fret too much over that, but FYI.

KWs are over-rated an over-priced. I view ST's as a disposable item to be replaced every couple years, i'm swapping them out for Ohlins this fall. I've never understood why people spend well over $1K on KWV1s, makes no sense to me.

V1s/STs are very comfortable, I will say that. I've heard the same about Ohlins.
I know, like swagon said, that the TCK or Öhlins would be the best solution (and I hope to get one of them !). Here in France or Europe, I can buy Öhlins R&t but for the camper plates or for the TCK route, I will have to import them.
If the surface of Öhlins are galvanized, I think there won't be any problem and the rust won't attack the dampers, so useless to fret like you said

I didn't know that ST won't have a big life duration ... I agree with you : I think there are other solutions than KW, less expensive and better engineered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Bilstein B14 coilovers are worth considering, not too pricey.
Thanks for your input Eddie135, but I'm a bit frightened with Bilstein and they low quality paint. In addition, I have to take care about the damping rate : I've read here and there that Bilstein B14 or B16 won't work good with big anti-roll bar like I have ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post

Do you think there will be a huge difference with the TCK 1way and 2way ? I know 700 would be pretty high, but as I mentioned (or I may have missed to say it), I plan to sway the engine of my car ... So the damping rate should be in correlation (but in all the case, it will be higher than the one used in the M3).

Are the TCK camber plates hard to adjust ? I read, I cannot remember where, that they were easier to adjust than the Vorshlag. Maybe you tested these ones too ?

That's the point : I'm looking for something which will work great on the road and which will be very powerful on the track So with the Öhlins upgraded springs, do you think they won't work correctly even if HPA did lots of tests on them and customers did not complain (as I know) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport View Post
I've been running Ohlins Road & Track for about 5k miles and in my opinion they are far superior to OEM in EVERY way. The Ohlins dampers handle all kinds of road imperfections with far superiority. I think Ohlins are the perfect solution for daily driving and track use. Ohlins are not traditional double adjustable like select TCK, AST or whatever, but they do adjust compression and rebound through one valve. Unless you absolutely need the dual adjustment for competitive AX or track I would go with Ohlins, seeing as your budget fits.

Just as an FYI - Ohlins (with supplied springs) have the ability to adjust approximately 1-inch lower than stock ride height, give or take depending on if you have M-Sport or non. I'm currently running the supplied springs and like being at M-Sport height.

If I had talked to Harold first I would have purchased the shorter Swift springs for tire clearance. The Ohlins springs set at factory height have a lower spring perch than factory thus limiting the ability to run wider tires than factory in the front. Of course you could run a mild spacer to get a bit of additional clearance but for me I'd rather get the appropriate perch height with a shorter spring and not run a spacer. If you go too wide you will also have to run aggressive camber (fixed of adjustable plates). In my research anything wider than 225, with stock alignment settings will require more camber.

Hope this helps.
So that's good to hear ! Someone who rides on Öhlins and who is satisfied with them ! I get the same point of view : this coilovers solution will be more comfortable than the other one.

When you're talking about the stock ride heigh, is it the normal heigh without the M-Sport package or is it the heigh of the M-Sport package ? Actually I have the Eibach Prokit setup which lowers me 0,6 inch more than the M-Sport suspension. I would like to be at the same heigh or some millimeters lower but not much more.

So you would recommend Swift springs in addition of the Öhlins kit and camber plates ? It will increase the budget a bit too much IMO ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I'm running #400F/#700R as well and I'd say the ride quality is MAYBE like 10% stiffer than M Sport.

It is extremely difficult to describe, because the shock valve curve actually extends the bump/imperfection in the road out more with a smoother arc than a typical OEM shock.

What does this mean? Well that harsh "bottom out" feeling you get when you hit a huge bump never happens.
So that's great to hear that the ride quality is not that harsh with 400/700 spring rates ... Are you running with TCKline S/A or D/A ?

I'm glad to hear it would increase the ride quality and simply threw out this horrible feeling after hitting a bump ! Moreover I think it simply deletes the imprecise, bumpy and non-flat feeling of the M-Sport suspension when you're cornering at high speed, isn't it ?

And guys, don't forget we have to find something which will be able to support a heavier engine and a much more powerful one

Edit : Should I go with the M3 rear camber links too ? Harold from HPA said me that I should do lots of track and even with that, the difference shouldn't be so noticeable ...

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

Last edited by Fidiman; 07-03-2014 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The only point is that if I buy in the USA, I will have custom fees to pay when the order will arrive in France. So the budget will be a bit less than said before
I've seen the Koni Yellow set with paired with Swifts, but I would be frightened not to have enoug rigidity or under damping or something like that ...

I know, like swagon said, that the TCK or Öhlins would be the best solution (and I hope to get one of them !). Here in France or Europe, I can buy Öhlins R&t but for the camper plates or for the TCK route, I will have to import them.
If the surface of Öhlins are galvanized, I think there won't be any problem and the rust won't attack the dampers, so useless to fret like you said

I didn't know that ST won't have a big life duration ... I agree with you : I think there are other solutions than KW, less expensive and better engineered !

Thanks for your input Eddie135, but I'm a bit frightened with Bilstein and they low quality paint. In addition, I have to take care about the damping rate : I've read here and there that Bilstein B14 or B16 won't work good with big anti-roll bar like I have ...

Do you think there will be a huge difference with the TCK 1way and 2way ? I know 700 would be pretty high, but as I mentioned (or I may have missed to say it), I plan to sway the engine of my car ... So the damping rate should be in correlation (but in all the case, it will be higher than the one used in the M3).

Are the TCK camber plates hard to adjust ? I read, I cannot remember where, that they were easier to adjust than the Vorshlag. Maybe you tested these ones too ?

That's the point : I'm looking for something which will work great on the road and which will be very powerful on the track So with the Öhlins upgraded springs, do you think they won't work correctly even if HPA did lots of tests on them and customers did not complain (as I know) ?

So that's good to hear ! Someone who rides on Öhlins and who is satisfied with them ! I get the same point of view : this coilovers solution will be more comfortable than the other one.

When you're talking about the stock ride heigh, is it the normal heigh without the M-Sport package or is it the heigh of the M-Sport package ? Actually I have the Eibach Prokit setup which lowers me 0,6 inch more than the M-Sport suspension. I would like to be at the same heigh or some millimeters lower but not much more.

So you would recommend Swift springs in addition of the Öhlins kit and camber plates ? It will increase the budget a bit too much IMO ...

So that's great to hear that the ride quality is not that harsh with 400/700 spring rates ... Are you running with TCKline S/A or D/A ?

I'm glad to hear it would increase the ride quality and simply threw out this horrible feeling after hitting a bump ! Moreover I think it simply deletes the imprecise, bumpy and non-flat feeling of the M-Sport suspension when you're cornering at high speed, isn't it ?

And guys, don't forget we have to find something which will be able to support a heavier engine and a much more powerful one

Edit : Should I go with the M3 rear camber links too ? Harold from HPA said me that I should do lots of track and even with that, the difference shouldn't be so noticeable ...
I run Dual Adjustables. The steering is much more firm, which is a combination of the camber and caster I'm running now.

I don't think you'll need rear camber links. When you lower the car you'll gain the proper camber needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
I run Dual Adjustables. The steering is much more firm, which is a combination of the camber and caster I'm running now.

I don't think you'll need rear camber links. When you lower the car you'll gain the proper camber needed.

With runing D/A, I'm a bit frightened not to find the correct settings and have a horrible ride ... That's why I was so interested by Öhlins with their DF valve and TCKline S/A coils ...

And what about the rear toe arm ?

I'm reading your build thread right now I saw you are using spacers in the front ... Should I worry about the spec of my wheels and touching the strut or spring with them ?!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
With runing D/A, I'm a bit frightened not to find the correct settings and have a horrible ride ... That's why I was so interested by Öhlins with their DF valve and TCKline S/A coils ...

I'm reading your build thread right now I saw you are using spacers in the front ... Should I worry about the spec of my wheels and touching the strut or spring with them ?!
IMO, if you're not going to be taking the car to the track all the time, there is no need for compression adjustments. Suspension tuning is very confusing, especially when you get into two adjustments.

I need to run a 5mm spacer because of the 8.5" width wheel as well as ET40 offset. As well I'm running 245 tires up front with very high camber.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
IMO, if you're not going to be taking the car to the track all the time, there is no need for compression adjustments. Suspension tuning is very confusing, especially when you get into two adjustments.

I need to run a 5mm spacer because of the 8.5" width wheel as well as ET40 offset. As well I'm running 245 tires up front with very high camber.
At the end it will be only for the track but not now ... Do you have the adjustment done by your own or was it done or given by someone else (professional for example) ?

The wheels are VMR VB3 with 8,5" ET40 and 215/40/18 front tire. Next will be at maximum 225/40 tires and why not Apex ARC8 wheels.

Edit : Another very important point will be the lifetime before sending them for revamping or whatever ... AND if so, the Öhlins will be easier to send because of the support in Europe. For the TCKline, I don't now if I can use the standard support of Koni or not
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

I have the same M3 bits and rear subframe bushings paired with KWV3's and I am very happy with the setup.

If I hadnt fallen into a deal for KWv3's new for $1600, I was ready to buy the TCKline DA coilovers and vorshlag plates.

The only thing I didnt like about the TCKline setup was that they would not work with Dinan fixed camber plates (per talking with TC) I have read too many horror stories about noisy camber plates so I really wanted the fixed plates. (TC assurred me if installed correctly, Vorshlag plates are quiet)

I absolutely love my setup with 245 front and 265 rear tires and no fender modifications. (-2.5 front camber and -1.5 rear). It rides excellent and my 3 and 4 year olds have slept in their carseats in the back, yet you can toss it in a corner so much harder than stock its not even funny.

I suggest DA coilovers. Takes a bit of time to setup and adjust, but well worth it
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
At the end it will be only for the track but not now ... Do you have the adjustment done by your own or was it done or given by someone else (professional for example) ?

The wheels are VMR VB3 with 8,5" ET40 and 215/40/18 front tire. Next will be at maximum 225/40 tires and why not Apex ARC8 wheels.

Edit : Another very important point will be the lifetime before sending them for revamping or whatever ... AND if so, the Öhlins will be easier to send because of the support in Europe. For the TCKline, I don't now if I can use the standard support of Koni or not
So the adjustments are made on a per condition basis. The car will perform differently on different surfaces in different temperatures.

There is a starting point with all suspension but in the end you need to tune the car to how you want it to act under certain conditions (braking, off throttle rotation, on throttle rotation...etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

All of this is excellent.

Quote:

With the TCK D/A(or S/A), they will be happy to talk with you on the phone to find the exact settings that fit your needs. The adjustments are as easy as can be with the tools supplied with the kit. I would not have any reservations about going that way(precisely why I have them!).

As for the wheels, it really comes down to what you individually are using. I have zero rub at ideal ride height with both my BBS RGR summers and my stock MSport wheels that I use for snows.
      07-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Quote:

My car came with M-Sport and I set the ride height to that spec after the Ohlins install. I should have gone with the shorter Swift springs and camber plates to accommodate the wheel/tire fitment I was after. This will push you over your $2,500 budget if you want to purchase springs, dampers and plates all at once.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #18
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iam View Post
I have the same M3 bits and rear subframe bushings paired with KWV3's and I am very happy with the setup.

If I hadnt fallen into a deal for KWv3's new for $1600, I was ready to buy the TCKline DA coilovers and vorshlag plates.

The only thing I didnt like about the TCKline setup was that they would not work with Dinan fixed camber plates (per talking with TC) I have read too many horror stories about noisy camber plates so I really wanted the fixed plates. (TC assurred me if installed correctly, Vorshlag plates are quiet)

I absolutely love my setup with 245 front and 265 rear tires and no fender modifications. (-2.5 front camber and -1.5 rear). It rides excellent and my 3 and 4 year olds have slept in their carseats in the back, yet you can toss it in a corner so much harder than stock its not even funny.

I suggest DA coilovers. Takes a bit of time to setup and adjust, but well worth it
So you're more or less in the same configuration than I am, great to hear Woaou ! That's impressive, you did a huge deal with your KW V3 ! I would have done the same !

Yeah, that's true, when you don't correctly install these plates, they will do a lot of noise ... If I go with them, I should be very careful and take all the informations I need before doing the job.

These are huge tires in the front ! Isn't it too much front negative camber for a street driving ? Won't your tire wear a lot with that ?

I think if I go to the D/A route, I will take a lot of time to adjust them (in addition of the time needed to adjust the highness of them) !

Thanks for your input

Quote:
So the adjustments are made on a per condition basis. The car will perform differently on different surfaces in different temperatures.

There is a starting point with all suspension but in the end you need to tune the car to how you want it to act under certain conditions (braking, off throttle rotation, on throttle rotation...etc).
I think it's hard to find the correct adjustment with SA coilovers and even more with DA ! I addition, I should find some inputs of guys who are using the same suspension as I will be !

I'm just a bit frightened to have the same issue than a friend had with his Honda Integra : he forget to reduce the stiffness of his coilovers when coming back from the track and ... He crashed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
All of this is excellent.

With the TCK D/A(or S/A), they will be happy to talk with you on the phone to find the exact settings that fit your needs. The adjustments are as easy as can be with the tools supplied with the kit. I would not have any reservations about going that way(precisely why I have them!).

As for the wheels, it really comes down to what you individually are using. I have zero rub at ideal ride height with both my BBS RGR summers and my stock MSport wheels that I use for snows.
I think I should go this way and call them when I would have done my choice. So, are you happy with them ? Do you see any drawbacks (in the installation, the use or whatever) ?

Maybe I should ask the point of view of Harold or someone who is used to deal with the suspensions and wheels width. At least, I can add some front camber or spacers (I wouldn't like to do this last thing because of vibrations, etc ...). Which ET and width do you have on your front wheels ?

I have the MSport wheels for the snow too As I see, we all go to the same route ! Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport View Post
My car came with M-Sport and I set the ride height to that spec after the Ohlins install. I should have gone with the shorter Swift springs and camber plates to accommodate the wheel/tire fitment I was after. This will push you over your $2,500 budget if you want to purchase springs, dampers and plates all at once.
I think the Öhlins solution will be the most expensive one, unfortunately ... Could you go lower than this height with the standard Öhlins springs or not ?
I think I will have to take camber plates to adjust correctly the front camber (and why not caster (I will have to take informations on this point because I'm a noob in caster settings)) !

So guys, I have new inputs from Andrey_GTA. He spoke about Intrax suspension. They do custom suspensions and it's apparently a good brand (never heard about that and about the price neither).

He spoke about German suspension tuners but I don't know any of them and if they exist. On the 1erForum.de, they only speak about Bilstein or KW coilovers ... As I can remember, I did not find something else. I will try to research a bit more about German suspension tuners (first reason will be no fees when my setup will be send in France xD).

What do you guys think about these new informations ?

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I should go this way and call them when I would have done my choice. So, are you happy with them ? Do you see any drawbacks (in the installation, the use or whatever) ?

Maybe I should ask the point of view of Harold or someone who is used to deal with the suspensions and wheels width. At least, I can add some front camber or spacers (I wouldn't like to do this last thing because of vibrations, etc ...). Which ET and width do you have on your front wheels ?

I have the MSport wheels for the snow too As I see, we all go to the same route ! Haha
I'm extremely happy with them. I got my first set of TCK coilovers on my E36 M3 back in 2006, and have been a customer ever since. I frequently joke with my brother that I won't buy a car they don't have a suspension setup for.

I can't think of any drawbacks, other than suspension installs on the 1 series in general(nothing to do with the TCKs) are a bit more involved than earlier BMW platforms. I also did a number of M3 conversions at the same time, so that added to the process.

My wheels are 17x8 ET40 running 235 square Pilot Super Sports. In the winter I use the stock 17" MSport wheels running 205 square. Neither setup has had even the faintest hint of rubbing in any condition(hard driving, 4 passengers, hitting potholes, etc).
      07-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #20
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Okay that sounds very good I read on the internet that Koni dampers had to be rebuild every 10-20 000km ... And as TCKline coilovers systems are built on them, so they may have the same "problem" ... How many kilometers or miles did you do with your former coilovers ?

So normally, it should go well with my wheels/tires setup, shouldn't it ?

I looked at the HSD coilovers too, but I don't know the quality of them.

Moreover I'm thinking about the AST systems too in order not to have custom fees. I'm just wondering of the hypothetical harshness of them (especially the 41xx kit). What do you guys think about these ?
I read that someone had issues during the installation on a 1M : the strut wasn't fixed enought or correctly fixed ... Does one of you hear about that ?

Yesterday I did a trip here in Germany (where I'm studying during one year) and I went to Stuttgart. On plane roads, the dampening is more or less great, but when there are some little holes or imperfections on the street, the ride is bouncy as hell ...

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #21
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay that sounds very good I read on the internet that Koni dampers had to be rebuild every 10-20 000km ... And as TCKline coilovers systems are built on them, so they may have the same "problem" ... How many kilometers or miles did you do with your former coilovers ?

So normally, it should go well with my wheels/tires setup, shouldn't it ?

I looked at the HSD coilovers too, but I don't know the quality of them.

Moreover I'm thinking about the AST systems too in order not to have custom fees. I'm just wondering of the hypothetical harshness of them (especially the 41xx kit). What do you guys think about these ?
I read that someone had issues during the installation on a 1M : the strut wasn't fixed enought or correctly fixed ... Does one of you hear about that ?

Yesterday I did a trip here in Germany (where I'm studying during one year) and I went to Stuttgart. On plane roads, the dampening is more or less great, but when there are some little holes or imperfections on the street, the ride is bouncy as hell ...
I had oil pump failure on the E36 M3 before I could get long term testing in. But that being said, my brother has had his in his M3 for ~10 years 140,000 miles without issue. At some point, all shocks need rebuilding. 10,000km is not a realistic figure outside of dedicated race setups though.

AST in my experience would be a step down from the TCK/Ohlin options you mentioned earlier in this thread. They don't seems to have the longevity of their competition.
      07-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #22
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
I read that Öhlins, Koni, Bilstein recommanded to rebuild the dampers every 30k miles. After the performance will start dicreasing.

I talked about my problem to a friend of mine who said that was impossible that my dampers were almost shot ... Come on I drive the car every week ! I know what I am talking about ... In addition, after how much kilometers is it normally recommand to change them ?

I did a little calculation with OEM dampers and the work per hour BMW would charge if someone want to change his dampers by brand new ones ... Nearly 1500€ ... So I'm more motivated in the aftermarket/coilovers route

The only reason I take AST in consideration is the absence of custom fees ... I'm still guessing how could I do if I have to rebuild my hypothetic future TCK kit ...

Appreciate 0