BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #45
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
love how we help eaach other out nice work guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #46
nola1m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 458S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
+1million

Thanks I guess that confirms it, anyone can do this upgrade

Just wondering, did you use the clown nose mirror or the new one?
I used the new one with compass. I'll try to post a pick later. Everything works but the clown nose (no alarm) and the bump is smaller than the knob on the original mirror.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #47
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola1m View Post
I used the new one with compass. I'll try to post a pick later. Everything works but the clown nose (no alarm) and the bump is smaller than the knob on the original mirror.

Good luck!
Thanks Im looking forward to the pics and I will do this as soon as my car arrives.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #48
nola1m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 458S

I didn't take step-by-step pictures (I think there are enough walk-throughs). Here is the final picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #49
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks nola1m!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #50
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #51
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

figured I would update - my car was delivered with ZPP only and it has the wires in the harness to get homelink and the compass working. I swapped my mirror and I'm all set (I used 51169192335 - took 5 minutes tops).

So if you have either Premium or Convenience, you just need to do a mirror swap.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #52
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
figured I would update - my car was delivered with ZPP only and it has the wires in the harness to get homelink and the compass working. I swapped my mirror and I'm all set (I used 51169192335 - took 5 minutes tops).

So if you have either Premium or Convenience, you just need to do a mirror swap.
Does everything work on the mirror without any issues?

Also, where did you purchase the mirror and how much was it? I saw one on EBay but it is $399 (seems pricey) just for homelink.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #53
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve457 View Post
Does everything work on the mirror without any issues?

Also, where did you purchase the mirror and how much was it? I saw one on EBay but it is $399 (seems pricey) just for homelink.
Autodim, Homelink and Compass all work fine. The alarm LED does not flash when the car is locked, but without ZCV I don't have the alarm anyway. Would have been nice, but the original ZPP mirror didn't have the LED to begin with. You might be able to get that coded.

I picked up mine on Ebay from a salvage reseller - was around $200. Certainly better things to spend the cash on, but I need two openers for home and work, so I went for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #54
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
awesome stuff guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #55
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola1m View Post

1. You need the retrofit harness: P/N 61120434330 (this has the wires A2-A5 in the pdf in step 3 as well as the brown ground)
Quote:
I swapped my mirror and I'm all set (I used 51169192335 - took 5 minutes tops).
I checked these part numbers and the harness gives me 3 options..

1. Windshield - Inside mirrors - Mirror inside - W/o remote
W/o compass - Coupe 2008 - 2011
2. Windshield - Inside mirrors - Mirror inside - W/auto dim
W/auto dim - Coupe 2008 - 2010
3. Windshield - Inside mirrors - Mirror inside - W/o compass
W/auto dim - Convertible 2008 - 2011

and the mirror gives me 2 options...

1. Windshield - Inside mirrors - Mirror inside - W/o remote
W/compass - Coupe 2008 - 2010
2. Windshield - Glass - Mirror assy - W/electrochromic
W/compass 2008 - 2009

My problem is where it says no remote. I am doing this only to have garage door opening capabilities. I assume no remote means it wont support that function. Am I wrong? Then I assumed if it didnt say "w/o remote" it would support, but it does say "w/ auto dim" so leaving out "w/ remote" doesnt signify it does support it.

Did I just read too much into it and all of them will work? The options do all share the same part number.

Finally I would like to bypass auto dim and only gain remote access if possible. Compass is just a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #56
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Remote in parts speak is not the same as the Homelink opener - it is referring to the 315MHz transceiver which is needed for the alarm or possibly the comfort access. If you don't have ZCV, then you don't need the mirror with the "remote" option.

EC = auto-dimming
LED = alarm LED
GTO = homelink
Compass = compass
Remote = 315MHz transceiver

Not positive about bypassing the autodim, but I assume you could just disconnect the wire that is feeding power for that. I don't think you can get a manually dip mirror with homelink, so what are you going to do when you have bright lights behind you?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #57
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Remote in parts speak is not the same as the Homelink opener - it is referring to the 315MHz transceiver which is needed for the alarm or possibly the comfort access. If you don't have ZCV, then you don't need the mirror with the "remote" option.

EC = auto-dimming
LED = alarm LED
GTO = homelink
Compass = compass
Remote = 315MHz transceiver

Not positive about bypassing the autodim, but I assume you could just disconnect the wire that is feeding power for that. I don't think you can get a manually dip mirror with homelink, so what are you going to do when you have bright lights behind you?
Thanks! I never use the dip anyways, lights behind me are never an issue and if they are you can change lanes, speed up, slow down, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #58
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Ok, I have done a fair amount of research on these mirrors and this is what I have come up with.

Below is the official BMW wording of the options any mirror can have:

EC = Electrochromatic (auto-dim)
Radio = Radio-wave remote control (315mHz amp./antenna for your key fob, only needed for convertibles)
LED = Light-emitting diode for alarm system (clown nose beneath mirror for cars w/ alarm, it flashes when the alarm is active)
GTO = Integrated remote control/garage door opener (homelink)
FLA = High-beam assistant (not offered on 1M)
Compass = Digital compass display (self explanatory)
ETC = Electronic Toll Collection (not offered on 1M)
TLC = Out-of-lane warning (not offered on 1M)

There are a ton of different mirrors with combinations of the above options. While I was searching on eBay for a mirror I kept looking for a mirror that had EC/LED/GTO/Compass. The radio feature (or RC or 315mHz) doesn't make a difference because that is only necessary for convertibles. Verts need the key fob amp./ant. in the mirror because they don't have a c-pillar or roof panel to fit it in like all other cars do. Its usual location is in the c-pillar. Here is an example from an E46: http://www.bmwgm5.com/FZV_Antenna_Amp.htm

Just thought this explanation would help save some people time.
      11-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #59
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Just thought this explanation would help save some people time.
it does (the 315mHz thing) THX for posting!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #60
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Has anyone tried to retrofit a homelink/compass mirror and failed? I got the retrofit harness plugged in, but as far as I can tell, the mirror mounts are different between the original stripper mirror and the low-profile-clown-nose homelink mirror.

Original mirror:
Name:  IMG_2317.jpg
Views: 3113
Size:  153.2 KB

You can see that it mounts flush to the windshield and that the metal knob on the windshield fits into the recessed portion of the mirror mount.

Here's a side view:
Name:  IMG_2318.jpg
Views: 3279
Size:  151.5 KB

On the eBay mirror I bought (low profile clown nose, homelink, compass) the mount isn't flush. It has three protruding metal knobs as well as a metal tab that sits at the 4 o'clock position.

Name:  IMG_2319.jpg
Views: 3586
Size:  162.0 KB

All the mirrors I see on eBay seem to have protruding metal knobs. I'm wondering if anyone who has retrofit a mirror ( +/- wiring harness) had a problem with this issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #61
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Hmmm, the eBay mirror I bought also matches the one you bought but I don't have my 1M yet to compare the 2. I'm curious what you find out.
      11-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #62
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
you need the e46 mirror as the earliest.....hmm this is strange.
What was the ebay description?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #63
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

The eBay auction specified that it was off an E90, no year mentioned.

I found a better picture of the problem I'm encountering. I pulled it off a guy's blog (frankies-bmw.com) in the 8-series DIY section.

Name:  mirror_bases.jpg
Views: 4819
Size:  82.5 KB

In his blog he says to file off the circled nubs, but then that would leave another protruding metal stud at the 4 o'clock position on the homelink mirror. I'd assume that would need to be filed off as well. He also says that the homelink mirror is installed not by twisting but by "leveraging the arm into place."

Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #64
flzrider
Captain
Rep

MusclezMarinara, which of the 2 windshield mount types does your 1M use? I'm guessing its the one on the right:

I know Musclez's car is fully loaded, how about yours ayao?

I'm wondering if all 1M's have the same windshield mount or if it depends on your options.

ayao, a few years ago I bought a homelink mirror for my E46 on eBay. It had a different windshield connection than what was on my car. I ended up swapping out the mounts on the 2 mirrors. I had to pull each wire out of the black connector that sits inside the mount, remove the black connector, pop the mount out of the mirror (ball & socket), do the same on the eBay mirror, then swap the two. It worked fine.

I'm hoping I don't have to do that on mine, but I won't find out until I get my car.
      11-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #65
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

So after looking at every single "BMW Homelink mirror" on eBay, all of them had the mount with the nubs. And realOEM suggested that nubs for homelink is the norm. So, I just went for it. It turns out that it just twists on -- the nubs don't sit against glass, they touch the metal collar of the triangle piece attached to the windshield. When I installed it, it had more rubbery a feel when twisting than the stock mirror, which is what made me initially think it wouldn't fit properly.

Fitz - my car is a stripper and hence the need for a retrofit harness. Based on what I saw on RealOEM.com, all the 1Ms come with the same mirror and mount. I'll write up the saga to supplement what Nola1M wrote up in a previous post. I found some pdfs etc that will make the process even more understandable for people with stripper cars.

In the end, much ado about nothing!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #66
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One on the right flzrider and I would get ur money back and grab this one .
ayao you cant change the base its affixed to the mirror itself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E46-...#ht_500wt_1142

THATS THE CORRECT MOUNT... ayao
Appreciate 0