E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AMP REMOTE WIRE

11-18-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
aimare4losers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: silver

AMP REMOTE WIRE

can someone tell me step by step where to wire my remote wire from my aftermarket to? i have a switch installed and i keep forgetting to turn it off so i want to rewire it to a 12 volt accessories source. but i do not know where to wire it too. I can wire it into my ignition but does anyone know how to take off the steering wheel cover to get to the ignition?so can anyone please tell me step by step including the removal of the trim and stuff, where and how to wire my remote wire. thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
breton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Previous BMWs have used a plain white 18 or 20 gauge wire to the trunk area factory amp for turn on and off.

I'd first check this and if you find one, have it activate your amp or a relay for multiple amps.

Unless they've put the amp turn on signal on the vehicle can bus, there shouldn't be any need to tear apart your steering column area.
      11-18-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Cory1000
God
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

If you want to remove the steering wheel cover and trim to install tap into a accessory wire then I don't think you should be doing this yourself and should have it done for you... anyway, the factory amp is in the trunk, with a simple volt meter you can figure out what wire going into that is on the accessory switch... Just make sure that your amp (and what ever you tap into) is not exceeding the amount that the fuse can handle or you will need to wire in a relay to do the switching...which you should do anyway due to the complexity of the BMWs computer and electrical system
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
aimare4losers
Enlisted Member
Rep

i know where my factory amp is. but the person who installed my aftermarket amp could not find an accessories wire to wire it to so he wired me a switch near my seat. so i need to know where to wire my remote wire to get it to turn on and off itself. so if possible can anyone tell me which accessories wire i can wire the remote wire to. like where the wire is located wat color and such. thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Guess
BlackBerry King
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
Unfortunately there isnt one. The amp only has a constant wire going into it. Its turned on via the bus.

The best way I have found is to purchase a speaker signal remote.

It turns your amp on the second it reads a signal to any of your speakers.
      11-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

There´s an antenna remote line (12Volts) in the big Quadralock Radio plug at the back of the radio. If you manage to pull out the radio you can tap into that because the antenna remote (that feeds the antenna amplifier) is switched with the radio. Unfortunately I don´t have the colour or the position of the lead, but you can find it with a voltage tester. It´s the only line that will have 0Volt against ground when the radio is off and 12Volts vs ground when the radio is on.

Only trouble is, to get to it, you need to pull out the radio. And to pull out the radio you need to pull out the Climate controls first. And thats incredibly difficult.

The antenna remote wire should end at the antenna amplifier though which is (I think) in the headliner behind the third braking light above the rear windshield. It might be easier to find it there....
      11-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Try measuring the lines going into the antenna amplifier at the roof braking light. The antenna remote should be one of them. From there to your amp is easy to wire.

For the position of the antenna amp check the attachment
Attached Images

11-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
UCSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05

installed an aftermarket sub and amp...i just used a switch on the remote wire
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
aimare4losers
Enlisted Member
Rep

who knows how to take out the ciggareete lighter socket too wire my amps remote wire
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #10
dieselboy24
Rep
Drives: 2006-330i

I just hooked up my amp and sub ,my best friend works for an audio shop for 10 years and had a hell of a time finding a good easy source for the remote wire.Unfortanitly the factory Amp turns on and off with the fiberoptic cable,so we wound up takeing the back seat out and snakeing a remote wire to the accesery adapter in the center consol which is switched with the ignition.we poped of the rear of the center consol were the vents were,and there it was the red wire ,that went to the accsesary adapter. spliced into it and it was all good....
The only bad thing know is that i blew up my Alpine Type R. sub in one day couse the amp is a huge 1200 watt JBL grand touring amp and i hade the gain to far up,,but it pounded some serious BASS, even with the trunk so insalated....i would suggest u hook up your remot wire to the same source..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2005, 04:43 AM   #11
cappy78
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW 325i E90

Hay diesel did the rear cover come off easy by pulling or are there hidden clips like everything else has? I'm going to do that method or the antenna method.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #12
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d touring

Might help

Guys,
I found a little black cable in the connector attached to the amplifier that gives +12V when you open the door and shut down about 2 minutes after shutting down radio, pulling the key and closing the door.
I haven't installed completely the amplifier yet, 'cause I am awaitning the power cables bought from e-Bay.... as soon as I complete the connection and hear it working properly I'll post again...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 12:26 AM   #13
PittWm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i SP pack, Prem pack, CW

Get a AudioControl LC6. It gives you Hi to low level converter as well as 12V trigger to run your amp and other accessories. The unit is signal sensing from your hi level inputs, so all you have to do is wired it to 12V and ground and the unit will trigger your amp when it senses output voltage from source. It $120 and well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep

Subwoofer up and running

As stated before I have my sub running....
I do confirm in the cable connector there is a tiny black cable carrying a +12... it is not accessory but it turns on when you open the driver doors (I haven't tryed the other doors) and turn off about 5 minutes after pulling the key out.... it works well to remote an ampli.
For the rest of the connections.... high speakers input connected to the rear speakers cable (in the connector also), the main+12 from the battery plate supply and the - GND connected to one of the main mass connection.
Max
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 01:44 AM   #15
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurz154
As stated before I have my sub running....
I do confirm in the cable connector there is a tiny black cable carrying a +12... it is not accessory but it turns on when you open the driver doors (I haven't tryed the other doors) and turn off about 5 minutes after pulling the key out.... it works well to remote an ampli.
For the rest of the connections.... high speakers input connected to the rear speakers cable (in the connector also), the main+12 from the battery plate supply and the - GND connected to one of the main mass connection.
Max
Great to hear!
Where is this tiny black cable? Where is it located in the connector?
Pics please!
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #16
wurz154
Private
Italy
Rep

hi there,
I will complete the installation with real cables as soon as I get them and I'll post picture.... anyhow, pull out the connector and with a tester serch for a +12... you'll find two one of which is the thin black I was talking about... if you find only one, then open/close any door to reactivate the power and try again.... once you find the one I am talking about, wait for 3-5 minutes and you'll see you won't have power anymore...... that means it is actually working properly. I have been running this configuration since last friday and works like a charm.... the ampli will turn on when you open the door and will turn off sometimes after you left the car....
and so it'll work also with the engine not running wherease with the lighter plug it'll work only with the engine running.
Stay tuned fot pics
Appreciate 0