BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Manfryk
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i with DCT

dct launch question? HELP NEEDED

So yeah, It has been covered so many times. There's a lot of threads with this subject. Old threads actually which people wont reply.
Need ideas on how to launch at the track with dct.
Car has jb4, vrsf downpipe, performance exhaust.
- Launch control after you tune your 135i sucks.
- There's a method a guy has in disabling dtc and dsc off and brake boost. timing that at strip is hard.
- Other way was using Launch control, but instead of release pedal at 3k revs, just engage launch control and try to release at 1.5k-2.0k. (very hard timing that)

I've read every single thread. Also watched youtube videos of guys with dct launching efficiently, also i leave messages without a reple because the videos are old.

I want to Improve my 60 feet times which is 2.5s and that blows.
DCT and feather the pedal?

Any info would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
yaga11
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

try limiting boost in 1st and maybe 2nd gear in the JB4
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Manfryk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaga11 View Post
try limiting boost in 1st and maybe 2nd gear in the JB4
Yeap I did that , 8psi in 1st and 10psi at 2nd. Still wheel spin, thats with street tired though. I believe launch control would be awesome with some hoosier drag radials???
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

The DCT approach to tuned isn't any different (to me anyway) than stock with worn tires...

So I suggest the DTC off (the quick button hit, not 5-second hold-down to turn of stability control). After that I hate to say it but it's feathering in the throttle till you're past 25mph or so. Really even calling it feathering isn't the case, just 1/2 throttle it from the start, and dip into it the gas progressively till you're past 25mph, and flat-foot it by then. After a few runs like that it's not too difficult to do it consistently. You might leave a few 10ths on the table, but at least you're not just lighting them up.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Manfryk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
The DCT approach to tuned isn't any different (to me anyway) than stock with worn tires...

So I suggest the DTC off (the quick button hit, not 5-second hold-down to turn of stability control). After that I hate to say it but it's feathering in the throttle till you're past 25mph or so. Really even calling it feathering isn't the case, just 1/2 throttle it from the start, and dip into it the gas progressively till you're past 25mph, and flat-foot it by then. After a few runs like that it's not too difficult to do it consistently. You might leave a few 10ths on the table, but at least you're not just lighting them up.
Nice techniquee, thx for the info, will be doing that.

Would I benefit with drag radials? What times have you got with that tecnique? I'll practice it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

No experience with drag radials on the 135, sorry.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
vegas135is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is convertible

what tires are your currently using?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Manfryk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas135is View Post
what tires are your currently using?
Dunlop direzza 102, for now. Will use ccw wheels with michelin pilot super sport.

Maybe in the future a set for just track but not for now
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Mernardi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I added the Boost Addiction diff brace before my last drag day. No LSD and stock suspension/wheels at the time. Did not do a burn out to warm the tires on any run. Just your typical FBO N55.

Even with nearly bald 255 Conti DW rears, I was still linking up fairly well using launch control in 40-50 degree weather. I was running a Cobb 93 octane tune, so no limiting of boost in 1st or 2nd. I was able to run 12.5s all day.

Traction was terrible for many cars that day. My brother's DCT M3 couldn't grip worth a crap. LC seemed to hook up pretty good for me. I assume this is due to the diff brace.

With my finally functional E85 tune and new grippy summer tires I expect to be much closer to a 12 second pass with LC.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
Manfryk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mernardi View Post
I added the Boost Addiction diff brace before my last drag day. No LSD and stock suspension/wheels at the time. Did not do a burn out to warm the tires on any run. Just your typical FBO N55.

Even with nearly bald 255 Conti DW rears, I was still linking up fairly well using launch control in 40-50 degree weather. I was running a Cobb 93 octane tune, so no limiting of boost in 1st or 2nd. I was able to run 12.5s all day.

Traction was terrible for many cars that day. My brother's DCT M3 couldn't grip worth a crap. LC seemed to hook up pretty good for me. I assume this is due to the diff brace.

With my finally functional E85 tune and new grippy summer tires I expect to be much closer to a 12 second pass with LC.
Wow nice comment. So you use launch control.. Any ideas on your 60ft times? Im so interested in thisssssss.... I ran crappy 13.5s and woww no burnout??
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Manfryk
Rep

Quote:

Largee differentiall or small differential option?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
Mernardi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

No burn out as the tires were already nearly trashed lol. My 60's were consistent around 2.1. Unfortunately I do not have any slips/pics, but I should be going sometime in April to Great Lakes Dragway with a few BMW guys (weather permitting).

135 DCT stock have large diff housings. Install is incredibly easy. As always, I checked bolts a few days after install, and upon maintenance. Have never had any issues.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27093

http://***********ions.com/products/...e-for-e9x-335i
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
Manfryk
Rep

Quote:
No burn out as the tires were already nearly trashed lol. My 60's were consistent around 2.1. Unfortunately I do not have any slips/pics, but I should be going sometime in April to Great Lakes Dragway with a few BMW guys (weather permitting).

135 DCT stock have large diff housings. Install is incredibly easy. As always, I checked bolts a few days after install, and upon maintenance. Have never had any issues.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27093

http://***********ions.com/products/...e-for-e9x-335i
Thx, just ordered it. Also ordered sprint booster to improve throttle response lag, just in case I dont use launch control. Hope everything works fine for me
Appreciate 0