BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Stains on Alpine white behind front wheels?

Stains on Alpine white behind front wheels?

anyone have? hope its just me. I mistakenly used rubbing compound on them before I realized they appear to be under the clear coat? I put a lot of scratches in the top coat, but no one but me knows its there.

I'll go get some pictures of what I'm talking about. I have these weird brown stains behind each front wheel on the fenders... And somehow they are BELOW the clear coat since I tried 5 diff kinds of waxes and polishes which made no difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

well, you cant even see it in the pics. thats how hard it is to see. so i wont bother posting them.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

lannypoffo,

You might have to go to a detail shop and talk to them. My advice is if you still want to do it yourself, still go, and get their advice.

I have no idea really what you are talking about. Maybe if you posted the picture and used some program like windows paint, and used the arrows to show where you are talking about. Because what I understand behind the wheel, is in the wheel well. It does sort of sound like you are talking about just in front of the doors... again not sure

EspressoBoy
      12-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

this was my pic..

with certain settings on my monitor i can make out all the brown streaks/stains above the lower molding line.

Last edited by lannypoffo; 02-09-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

lannypoffo,

Sorry I am the oly one noticing you right now... (weekend is slow)

I am just wondering if you know about claying? I am the wrong guy to answer your questions, but I think there is someone here who owns a detail shop and sells products here, online, and has answered these type of questions before. I think if you have not done this... try this...

Download the pdf Detailing handbook

The Detailing Handbook *free .pdf*

Try claybar? Again without knowing the in's and outs of what has been done, I am not saying claybar will help, but maybe after reading about it's purpose you can determine if that is what is needed. As for the pictures, I do know quite about camera's and maybe I can help you get better pictures...

P&S digital cameras...(point and shoot)

To get really clear pictures on most basic models nothing beats daytime sunlight, and overcast a bit is best, not direct sun.

To get super detail and close up, like 6 inches away from lens, use the macro feature on the camera, it's the one with the little flower icon.

The flash on the camera will probably be way too bright for your car up close. You can try using an external light, like a super bright flashlight, but really daylight is best.

Take a macro then a regular. If you are using a camera phone forget it. It will not give the detail you are looking for.

Sorry again I can't be more help. I know how frustrating it is... I have like 4 issues with the car... None have simple solutions, or have tried the Dealership only to get zero or small results. I have to work with them to get them to fix stuff, and it sure drives me crazy.

Oh I think it is phil@detailerdomain

You can find some of his stuff here
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20089

I am not saying he is the right guy, but I think he is the one who takes on problems like yours. Obviously he is a retailer so he will probably come up with a solution that involves selling you something. But maybe you can find out more about how to solve it from him as I think he knows a lot about detailing.

Oh and as far as retail on the site, the moderators are extremely strict about where the retailers can post. So it's possible he was not allowed to comment to you directly. You have to go to his area to get info.

Hope this helps. Your post count is quite high, so you might already know all this... if so, no harm... maybe the next guy will use some info here.

You are right about your existing pictures, they do not help at all, but at least the location is now known.

Rubbing compound, I was not quite sure what you used so I found this little vid... is that what you used?

By reading up on "rubbing compound" it removes paint, the info I read says you need to rewax, which is what you tried. But it sounds like to me, that some of the compound is still there.

I also read that they do recommend talking to a detail pro.

So if you can't find one in person, the help I gave you on the picture taking might help.

I will also say that many problems can be fixed by spending the time to give all the details.

Info I found on rubbing compound...
Premium Rubbing Compound
This medium cut compound contains an agressive blend of nanotechnology polishing agents to restore your car's finish and prepare it for waxing.
Product Benefits
  • Removes scratches, heavy swirl marks, surface blemishes and 1500 grit sanding scratches.
  • Silicone free formula is safe for use in professional detail, paint & body shops.
  • Can be applied by hand or with an orbital or rotary polisher.
  • Safe for all finishes.

EspressoBoy
      12-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the replies..

ya i did claybar already. the stains are not on the surface. they are underneath. and rubbing compound is how i scratched my clear coat to hell finding out that fact.

its a paint defect under the clearcoat. glad im just leasing anyway..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

lannypoffo,

so let me get this straight... you leased the car...

you opted for clearcoat? An additional coat at your cost...

When you got the car it had the brown spots and you thought to try and remove them? So it's a defect from the beginning?

If so why not just bring it back and complain? It was not done by you then? Getting more confused here....

In order to get help you need to tell the whole story. Example...

Who created the brown spots?
When did you first notice them?
When did you get the car?
Did you purchase a 3rd party clear coat?
If so who did it? Dealer?
You tried the rubbing compound to go deeper to remove it?
The rubbing compound did not create the brown spots?

Hopefully those questions help tell the whole story...

It's like me posting to a doctor and saying I had a bump on my nose so I used alcohol to remove it, now I have a red nose. The bump could be from a bang, a zit, or a growth, or a birth mark etc... it's totally impossible to know what you have till you fill in the blanks... hmmm maybe that's why nodoby is commenting also? Not enough info to say 1 way or the other.

EspressoBoy
      12-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
lannypoffo,

so let me get this straight... you leased the car...

you opted for clearcoat? An additional coat at your cost...

When you got the car it had the brown spots and you thought to try and remove them? So it's a defect from the beginning?

If so why not just bring it back and complain? It was not done by you then? Getting more confused here....

In order to get help you need to tell the whole story. Example...

Who created the brown spots?
When did you first notice them?
When did you get the car?
Did you purchase a 3rd party clear coat?
If so who did it? Dealer?
You tried the rubbing compound to go deeper to remove it?
The rubbing compound did not create the brown spots?

Hopefully those questions help tell the whole story...

It's like me posting to a doctor and saying I had a bump on my nose so I used alcohol to remove it, now I have a red nose. The bump could be from a bang, a zit, or a growth, or a birth mark etc... it's totally impossible to know what you have till you fill in the blanks... hmmm maybe that's why nodoby is commenting also? Not enough info to say 1 way or the other.

EspressoBoy
I didnt opt for anything. The car is Alpine White. Thats all I know. I assume it has a clear coat like any other car.

I assumed this lease after 3 months. I didnt order it.

I noticed the brown spots when i got close enough to see them one day. Thought they were on the surface until I had tried 3 of my polishes with no luck at all.

Not the end of the world, only I know its there. I was just mentioning it in case anyone else sees it on their car sometime.

Went on a Woodside Rd/Skyline Rd run yesterday. (A popular drive in the bay area, CA). Really remembered why I am still satisfied with the car. Around town I never have enough room to drive it properly. When I took every gear to 6500rpm I really saw what this car is meant for.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

lannypoffo,

I am glad you enjoy the car too. I am much in the same boat. I have a bunch of small issues too. I have noticed a huge trend that much of what 1 person goes through many more are to follow. The brown spots are new as I do not have them nor have I read about anyone else having them.

PM me down the road if you ever get a solution to your problem.

Take care

EspressoBoy