BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #45
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

I was upset I didn't get premium hifi. Maybe this is one good thing about not getting it. I hope you guys get resolution on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #46
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2 View Post
I have the exact same problem, but only on deep bass sounds. Swift135 made a good comparison, I plan to do the same experiment. Sounds like the problem lies in the MP3 decoder and not the hardware of the system. I am going to test the original cd (not written from mp3), the mp3 on a memory stick and via my expensive ipod cable and ipod. If the problem exists in only the memory stick, then it is for sure the MP3 decoder in the car causing the noise and not any hardware problems.
Anyone know if the mp3 conversion is something that can be flashed or is it done in a hardware chip?
It's not the MP3 decoder. You can hear the noise on everything from store-bought CDs to AM radio.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #47
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds like the problem lies in the MP3 decoder and not the hardware of the system.
Doubtful, because the distortion in bass is completely absent in my mp3s when the car is not moving.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #48
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinweiß View Post
I was upset I didn't get premium hifi. Maybe this is one good thing about not getting it. I hope you guys get resolution on this.
Nah. It's not THAT bad, but it would sound much better without that subtle buzz...
      09-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #49
uid90283
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Last night on a quick drive home (20 minutes) I could not repeat the bass distortion, moving or stationary. Maybe the electronics have to be warmed up? Does anyone have this when they first get in their car after it has cooled down?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #50
imported_TheDude
Rep
Drives:

Minor update:

It's been 2 days since I last heard from the BMW Service person. When we last spoke, she mentioned that if I wanted to elevate this, it would likely need to go to the regional BMW rep, who only visits once a month.

Unless the next call produces some progress, I'm planning to escalate to the service manager, then the dealership manager.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #51
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Last night on a quick drive home (20 minutes) I could not repeat the bass distortion, moving or stationary. Maybe the electronics have to be warmed up? Does anyone have this when they first get in their car after it has cooled down?
It depends on the song and the bass note. There are many songs where this bass distortion is not present or undetectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
More as it happens...
Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #52
Dafdos
Rep
Drives:

Ok, some news from me about it: I brought my car to my dealer yesterday, first another problem was fixed, but they also had a look on the sound system. First analysis yesterday: they deactivated the dsc system (which I already did, but didn´t help), no result, but today the called me as they concentrated more on this problem and they told me that there is an analysis CD from BMW with a frequency test which clearly showed the problem again during driving (according to them it was a headache forcing experience ;-) ).

My dealer/the service person there talked directly to BMW in Munich and they confirmed that there seems to be some issue about it as the guy at my dealer was told that BMW in Munich has knowledge of a similar case in the US - interesting.

However, the good news is - there seem to be two cases which could cure the problem:

a) Chance is good that it is an interference with the DSC control unit, as the sound starts when driving - and here is the interesting part: there is a new control unit that has a better shielding!

b) It could be wiring harness problem - there seems to be also a new part with better shielding.

However, tomorrow I will be at the dealer to have my car again, lets wait and see if there is a result. Hopefully - will keep you updated about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #53
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
^ Good news, Dafdos. I hope it gets fixed!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #54
imported_TheDude
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Minor update on my 335i in the shop to address this issue:

It's been 2 days since I last heard from the BMW Service person. When we last spoke, she mentioned that if I wanted to elevate this, it would likely need to go to the regional BMW rep, who only visits once a month.

Unless the next call produces some progress, I'm planning to escalate to the service manager, then the dealership manager. The line about "it plays the test CD fine" doesn't hold much weight to me -- the stereo does not play *songs* correctly, and that's what I bought it for.

More as it happens...
@Dafdos: Great info, thanks! Glad to hear other people are raising the flag too.

On my end, I just got back from the dealer. Here's the scoop:

- The service guys confirmed they can reproduce the problem. They did not do any investigative work (checking wiring, etc.) to my knowledge.
- They have asked me to bring the car in when the BMW Factory Tech is in next (22 Sept).
- I also escalated the problem to the Service Mgr at the dealership, and he confirmed (over the phone and in person) the next course of action is meeting with the BMW Factory Tech. Consistent with what his service personnel said.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the fact the next step is the Factory Tech. This is conjecture, but here's why:

1) They consider the problem legit. I have complained about the audio problem earlier, but I didn't bring songs that reproduce it, so I was sent on my way.

2) My belief is the dealership wants to assert this is a factory issue, and therefore the cost to fix comes from BMW Munich as opposed to the dealership. (Would be consistent with Dafdos, if BMW Munich knows of the issue already.)

3) They're probably also hoping I just forget about the Factory Tech appt and get the hell out of their lives.

Probably will not know much more until the 22nd.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #55
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Excellent progress, guys! If you could, please post any service bulletin reference numbers and case numbers for reference when the rest of us bring our cars to the dealership. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #56
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
^^ +1!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #57
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i know BMW reads this stuff by talking to the woodcliff lake guys.

they know, i just hope they respond!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #58
Dafdos
Rep
Drives:

Update: Good news, the guys at my dealer removed the DSC unit and according to them the noise was gone - they clearly heard it before so I trust in them saying they couldn´t hear it after the unit was offline.
However now the bad news, they haven´t received the new unit yet, its on the way, but it could take another 7-14 days until it arrives. Another bad news is that they were not able to fully initialise my DSC unit again means currently I do not have ABS, DSC etc. available at the moment but nice little icons showing I should consider visiting my dealer - so I have to drive a little bit more carefully now for the next days.

Update to follow when the new part is installed - hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #59
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Does it distort the treble when the bass is heavy? Something sounds weird on mine anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #60
imported_TheDude
Rep
Drives:

No dealership/repair updates, but some add'l info:

While I'm waiting for the BMW Factory Tech, I did a little more troubleshooting on my own. Observations:

1) In my car, the problem exists whether the car is on or off, and is unaffected by speed.

2) The song "Say It Right" by Nelly Furtado does NOT cause any problems for me. The first 6 seconds produce tight, crisp bass, no static. I tried playing with the bass level (high and low) and volume (high and low) and all sounded fine.

3) The song "I Wanna Love You" by Akon / Snoop continues to cause problems. The static is present at both high and low volume, especially when Akon is singing (about a minute in). Here's where it gets interesting: if I turn the bass DOWN all the way (leaving treble at 1), the problem remains. In fact, it's much, much easier to hear.

4) That got me thinking, so I did the same thing with "Set the Ray to Jerry" by the Smashing Pumpkins (the other song that causes problems). Static is still present at high and low volumes, but with the bass DOWN, it disappears, or at least becomes inaudible. Back at normal (0, or +1) bass, it's detectable again.

So to recap: one song, kill the bass, and the problem remains. The other song, kill the bass, problem goes away.

I'm not an engineer, but this variance (and the fact different cars seem to be affected differently) makes me this could be a wiring/connection issue. Or, alternatively, two separate problems with the same symptoms.

More info as I get it...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #61
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'm wondering now if you have a different case, because the problem that I have only occurs with certain bass notes, and there is a distorted effect on the bass. I don't have any issues of any noise that sounds like static, per say, as you describe.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #62
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Has there been any resolution to this problem?!?!?! ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #63
imported_TheDude
Rep
Drives:

Update:

When I last posted, the next step for me was to bring the car back to the BMW dealership with the Factory Tech was there. By this point, I was working with the Service Manager. I dropped off the car to the Factory Tech yesterday and picked it up today.

Here's the news:

- The Factory Tech was able to replicate the problem. (I provided a playlist of the problematic songs, along with a write-up to produce the problem. For everyone planning to pursue a solution, *DEFINITELY* do this.)

- According to the Tech, this problem has *also* manifested itself in some 7-series cars at other dealerships.

- The Factory Tech has had success fixing this problem by using "very low ohm resistors" in the stereo circuitry. They have special-ordered these parts, and will contact me once they arrive for replacement.

Notes:

A LOT of good progress this time. I'm glad that a) everyone agrees my car has a problem, and b) other cars have the problem as well. There's no guarantee the new parts will fix it, but at this point there's been no push-back or stonewalling, which is terrific.

The parts are due to arrive in the next week or two -- I will post an update when that happens.

Shoot me any questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #64
siddhartha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Has there been some sort of a Technical Services Bulletin created at the corporate level? I would hope those of us with the problem can reference that to our dealers instead of having to rely on a tech that might not have good hearing.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #65
imported_TheDude
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhartha View Post
Has there been some sort of a Technical Services Bulletin created at the corporate level? I would hope those of us with the problem can reference that to our dealers instead of having to rely on a tech that might not have good hearing.
Good question. I'll ask next time.

The thing is, as Bullitt mentioned, these may not all be the exact same problem. It could be several, similar problems but with different causes/solutions. TSBs would certainly be useful, but I wouldn't plan to rely on them.

Anyway, more info as my situation progresses.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #66
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
TheDude, glad to hear there's progress being made!

When you take your car back in to have the problem fixed, might as well ask about the latest software upgrade v30.2, which has been confirmed to substantially reduce turbo lag for post-march builds. Supposedly, dealerships will not provide the progman update unless you have some sort of problem with your car.

I am actually waiting for confirmation of availability of the update before I take in my car to have this bass problem assessed and taken care of.
Appreciate 0