BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #23
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Although this is really, really nice, I think you need the Alcantara centre section to compliment the rest of the interior. Can you give us a link to the site these pictures came from please
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
Although this is really, really nice, I think you need the Alcantara centre section to compliment the rest of the interior. Can you give us a link to the site these pictures came from please
I would agree with you to a degree (certainly for the front) but I would think alcantara front seats would look at odds with the rear leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #25
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:

Its one of the tuners demo 1M's

FULL BREAKDOWN HERE
http://www.tvw-cardesign.de/index.php?page=m1

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 02-16-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Deffinatley looks nice. Now .. where to get a blue stitching for me ... ?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

My Focus RS500 had the red seats also made at Recaro with black rear seats. Suppose to be the latest craze in Germany to have different coloured front and rear seats The Ford Recaros are the same seats without side airbags and heating. The BMW seats are three times more expensive than the Ford Recaros because of this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The BMW performance seat is just crazy money really for heating element and airbag, or is it all because it has BMW embroided on the headrest lol

hell out little corsa shopping trolley had similar recaros standard that has an airbag and you could opt heating & full leather for much less .....

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the alcantara fabric is really expensive as well
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
exactly, more expensive then leather I heard.

Quote:
Although this is really, really nice, I think you need the Alcantara centre section to compliment the rest of the interior.
I agree, I prefer alcantara as well. Not only for looks, but especially for comfort. Far less sweating (In summer I always have a wet back in the leather seats, especially when tracking), less sliding around in the seat as the alcantara is more grippy then leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
The BMW performance seat is just crazy money really for heating element and airbag, or is it all because it has BMW embroided on the headrest lol

hell out little corsa shopping trolley had similar recaros standard that has an airbag and you could opt heating & full leather for much less .....

Not sure of they are that more expensive. I checked with Recaro to get sportster CS with Airbag and sensor mat. This was already more expensive then the performance seats, eventhough seatheating was not even in. The Sportster CS, with Airbag, seatheating, sensor mat in leather are not cheap at all, and the leather is then not even fitting the leather in the car. Alcantara / leather combinations are custom and can be ordered but comes with a price tag. In the end for me the Performance seats where the easiest and cheapest solution.

I also considered to buy the seats of the megange RS. A set was sold on Ebay last week for 1'400 EUR. But I didn't dare to pull the trigger. (unknown fitment, plugs etc)

By the way, the corsa seats are not the recaro sportster RS. They seem to be flatter and are hight adjustable
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #32
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
I stopped by my upholsterer last week as I will be doing the headliner, A/B/C pillars, Nav binnacle and sun visors in alcantara (which is actually the name on one company that makes micro suede). The cost per yard here in the US at least is $70-80 (the good stuff, the one BMW uses, not the cheap replicas, those you can get for $40). I need about 7 yards for my project, which is not bad, I recon the seats will require less. Not sure how much the real suede/leather is, but can ask.

IMO, if you are going all out on the seats with the custom orange stitching, etc., might as well add those alcantara bits
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO 1M View Post
By the way, the corsa seats are not the recaro sportster RS. They seem to be flatter and are hight adjustable
You are correct, they are a GM OEM Recaro based on the Sportster CS design but with side airbags and height adjustment and yeah the lower sides are less bolstered and not as hard, upper half of the seat is much the same......

I think to have a spot on match with the rest of the interior its going to be a costly exercise with the high price of the performance seat then the strip down and recovered.........If the car was going to see many track days then I would go down the pole position route as I run in my other car, cheaper to buy and cheaper to have them redone to match the rest of the interior, and much more supportive and a shit load lighter, as much as I like the performance seat........
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #34
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep

Garage List
For 5k ill take em
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #35
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You are correct, they are a GM OEM Recaro based on the Sportster CS design but with side airbags and height adjustment and yeah the lower sides are less bolstered and not as hard, upper half of the seat is much the same......

I think to have a spot on match with the rest of the interior its going to be a costly exercise with the high price of the performance seat then the strip down and recovered.........If the car was going to see many track days then I would go down the pole position route as I run in my other car, cheaper to buy and cheaper to have them redone to match the rest of the interior, and much more supportive and a shit load lighter, as much as I like the performance seat........
I had the pole position in my Z4M, absolutely loved them! BUT, no airbag and not foldable, meaning in a lot of countries you need to register the 1M as a 2-seater or even worse, it is not allowed. In Germany for example there is a new legislation that with recent cars shutting down airbags is not allowed anymore.
Legislation is also the reason why I go for the performance seats. And as I had them in my 335 I know how good they are, especially when you are a bit taller. The standard sport seats are lacking shoulder support which you especially notice when you are taller. I had some track days last year in the 1M and I was really struggling to keep in the seat. I ended up having blue knees. In my 335i with performance seats I never had this issue even though I had tracktires mounted.

Don't get me wrong, if it was allowed I would get Pole Positions or even better Recaro SPG XL
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #36
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

By the way, just try to find a used set of performance seats and have them adapted to fit the interior. That's what I am doing and I am ending up far below 4000USD for both seats
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #37
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

In the UK its not so bad, if they pick up the airbag warning light then it could fail an mot but then thats not a problem with a new car for 3 yrs, as for the airbag warning light, easily sorted with a resister so again not a problem here, back access isn't to bad with the runners so you can still squeeze someone into the rear if need be and keep it listed as a 4 seater but we don't need to do that here as i removed my rear bench seat, all airbags ditched etc and fitted a half cage im my other car, still listed as a 5 seater on all the docs and not a problem for mot etc.....keeping in the seat on track, hard and firm with a good harness ; )

As for a used set of performance seats, I like your thinking, and if any came up for sale I will be in there, but I could be waiting a while lol for now it's chassie spending time awaiting the new KW DDC set up as my next purchase....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #38
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
In the UK its not so bad, if they pick up the airbag warning light then it could fail an mot but then thats not a problem with a new car for 3 yrs, as for the airbag warning light, easily sorted with a resister so again not a problem here, back access isn't to bad with the runners so you can still squeeze someone into the rear if need be and keep it listed as a 4 seater but we don't need to do that here as i removed my rear bench seat, all airbags ditched etc and fitted a half cage im my other car, still listed as a 5 seater on all the docs and not a problem for mot etc.....keeping in the seat on track, hard and firm with a good harness ; )

As for a used set of performance seats, I like your thinking, and if any came up for sale I will be in there, but I could be waiting a while lol for now it's chassie spending time awaiting the new KW DDC set up as my next purchase....
The UK is know to be very easy, the same is Holland. Would love to have the same legislation over here
Performance Seats I see regularly on forums / ebay. Recently I saw a set on Ebay in the UK if I am not mistaken. There is also a forum member selling his 1M and the seats which he is willing to sell separately. But indeed, some patience is needed which isn't my strong point as well

let me know your experience with the KW DDC!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Only set on ebay UK is from the US, and with delivery costs, that is more expensive than ordering new right here lol

Will let you know about the DDC set up, just awaiting the go ahead....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #40
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Only set on ebay UK is from the US, and with delivery costs, that is more expensive than ordering new right here lol

Will let you know about the DDC set up, just awaiting the go ahead....
yup, saw that one, but there was a local set if I remember correctly. But indeed, in the UK they are quite rare. In the German Ebay you can find some regularly. Last week a used (looking like new) driver seat was sold for less then 800EUR. Last year I saw a set of 2 seats being sold for 1'5xx EURO. At that time I sold mine (like new) myself for about 1800 EUR which was a BIGGGG mistake. Should have bloody kept them. Don't know what I was thinking
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #41
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep biiiiggggg mistake selling yours mate, what was you thinking! you mustn't had been or you would have held on to em lol
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #42
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep biiiiggggg mistake selling yours mate, what was you thinking! you mustn't had been or you would have held on to em lol
don't know, I clearly was not sane
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #43
greygoose
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
The performance seats do look great, pity they are so costly though. How does alcantara wear in comparison to leather?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #44
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
The performance seats do look great, pity they are so costly though. How does alcantara wear in comparison to leather?

If it is a daily drive will show wear & tear more so than the leather which is easier to maintain I have found in the past, alcantara looks great and stops you sliding about but it does take some more care to keep it looking ship shape and clean.......
Appreciate 0