BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Talking HPF FMIC BMW 135i Test fit

Howdy gang,

Just spent the afternoon over at Horsepower Freaks (HPF) in Portland, OR for test fitting the new FMIC. You can go their website: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/ for complete information about products and the new FMIC. They produced 10 FMIC in the first test batch, which all sold within 48hrs. They are planning a second batch following shortly!

I arrived at HPF this afternoon and was very impressed by the shop/facility. I got a brief tour and got to meet the ENTIRE staff. Everyone was extremely friendly and very passionate about QUALITY workmanship. I am a perfectionist when it comes to things, and this place definitely made me very confident!

I met the shop guys and developer of the FMIC. We first did a pre dyno run with my car completely stock with exception of my Maddad axle back (which sounds sweet!). I was producing stock boost at 7psi and about 260 rearwheel HP.

Next we put my car on the lift and began the test fit. HPF did not have to take the bumper off and only had to trim the stock bracket lightly to get the FMIC to fit like a glove. They where EXTREMELY critical on the fit and the workmanship needed to get the fit 100% perfect and professional. After the fit we put the car back on the dyno. We all know the best test for a FMIC is out on the road running the car hard in higher gears...but a dyno was the next best option and gives objective data. The car consistently produce approx 30+ more HP at higher speeds (90+) in gears 4-6 on the dyno. What does this mean...probably that you could expect this HP gain at somewhat lower speeds (~50mph) on the road. My boost was approx 1psi lower than previously.

Pretty significant changes to see on a simple dyno run. Obviously too, the more mods you are running, the more benefit you would see from your FMIC. We wanted a complete stock car to test first. Here are some pics.

ETA of 1st batch FMIC is last week of Feb!!!

Props to Maddad axle back for that sweet tone...cant wait for those midpipes!!
[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mA1mtycMOgo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mA1mtycMOgo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Hope you enjoy. Spoke with Chris for a bit and he has lots of plans for our cars (turbo back exhaust, turbos...etc!)

Last edited by mineo77; 01-29-2010 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Congrats! Easy choice with HPF so close by. I didn't know my MadDad equipped car sounded that good from behind.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Sounds good, looks good, and now that you have a good FMIC, when is the Tune goin in so it will go good?
      01-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
One question, from the HPF install video on their site, the stand off they install using the factory sway bar mount... well, I've Hotchiks front sway, and they use slightly different mount than stock (profile is different?) not sure if the HPF stand off will work with those.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Awesome Tim, planning on picking mine up with the second batch. Any idea how that HPF intake manifold was coming along? They posed all the design sketches and a proto and then nothing. Congrats, car looks nice!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

These guys are HPF are awesome. Unbelievable products.
      01-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Diego@Lutzperformance
Chile
Rep
Drives: bmw

Tim, I'm glad everything went well with the guys over at HPF. They are top notch guys...

I love how its looks from the out side, and fitment looks to be spot on with minimal trimming.

**Please see out thread in the Commercial Vendor section if your interested in locking in an order for the second batch.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
can you give us more detail on what was trimmed, is it the same part that has to be trimmed on the e92 video?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
can you give us more detail on what was trimmed, is it the same part that has to be trimmed on the e92 video?
Yep, it is the same plastic bracket. On our cars more of it needs to be trimmed away becuase our front end is more shallow. on the you tube video they have a shot for underneath after the trimming...you can hardly notice a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Awesome Tim, planning on picking mine up with the second batch. Any idea how that HPF intake manifold was coming along? They posed all the design sketches and a proto and then nothing. Congrats, car looks nice!
According to Chris at HPF, they are moving fwd on all our parts. They are currently working on Turbo back exhaust, tunning software, and stage kits. He has plans to produce 600-800 HP on these cars!!!

For those interested in getting your HPF black anodized, call DIEGO at Lutzperformance and he will give you the details etc.

Last edited by mineo77; 01-29-2010 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
wow, cant wait for their exhaust!

hopefully they sell it in sections, cause i dont really wanna change the DPs
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Like I said before, DAMN I'm glad I waited on choosing my intercooler!!! And the gains are just ,I'm also glad that there's minimal trimming and fits perfect! Nice pics btw, are you gonna remove the grill? I really want to see it fully exposed. Also I saw that you mentioned that you're gonna get yours in black anodized, how much extra are they offering that for and how soon are you gonna get it? I would like to see it on your car before i make the choice on getting it on mine. HPF FTMFW!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
Like I said before, DAMN I'm glad I waited on choosing my intercooler!!! And the gains are just ,I'm also glad that there's minimal trimming and fits perfect! Nice pics btw, are you gonna remove the grill? I really want to see it fully exposed. Also I saw that you mentioned that you're gonna get yours in black anodized, how much extra are they offering that for and how soon are you gonna get it? I would like to see it on your car before i make the choice on getting it on mine. HPF FTMFW!!!
Prob gonna keep the front grill for a bit, but might change my mind once i see it in black anodized! I think its about $80 or so for it anodized. Delivery is the last week of feb...my install will be easy since it was already on it. Cant wait to see the street perf gains!!
      01-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Lloyd
Networking Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Subaru STi 5dr

Garage List
i prefer the look of the stock grill rather than exposing the fmic, not showing too much, its like keeping the beast caged.
      01-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Diego@Lutzperformance
Chile
Rep
Drives: bmw

Guys if your looking to get it anodized is going to be an extra $100.00
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego@Lutzperformance View Post
Guys if your looking to get it anodized is going to be an extra $100.00
Nice, I might consider this. Does it affect anything or is it just aesthetics?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
[u2b]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r0F66zxYyRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r0F66zxYyRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/u2b]

I may consider this for my upcoming 1er, def looking for something easy to install, although does anything think this would be as easy on regular ramps? Rather do it myself then have someone else do it...dont know many good shops round me that work with bimmers so..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #17
Andrew@LutzPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 GT35R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
[u2b]<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r0F66zxYyRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r0F66zxYyRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>[/u2b]

I may consider this for my upcoming 1er, def looking for something easy to install, although does anything think this would be as easy on regular ramps? Rather do it myself then have someone else do it...dont know many good shops round me that work with bimmers so..

I would get some jack stands, that should help you get some clearence, but honestly there is nothing like having a lift to use, I have friends all the time who call me over for help while their car is on stands or ramps and I just bring them to the shop haha. But the way they designed it, it may take you a little longer and a little more patients but I dont think it should be too horrid. If you need any help or have questions feel free to call us at anytime!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Is the weight of the intercooler is supported by the hoses and bottom of the bumper, and the two brackets keep it from moving rearward where it might drop down behind the bumper?

Or do the tabs on the ends of the IC actually bear the weight?

Last edited by bradford; 01-30-2010 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sure as hell seems like this thing is the easiest IC to install by fire, I mean the guy basically just removed the lower engine cover, popped a couple screws, removed the stock IC and popped this one up and clicked it right into the stock pipes, then attached the peices that fit with the swaybar mount. Only real hard shit seemed to be the cutting, which im still a bit confused on what exactly he cut and how much..

Only question I have is to why they didnt design new hoses? Most if not all other aftermarket IC's have new hoses, most being SS or aluminum. I mean they def improved the endtanks and the size is def bigger and much more cooling and efficient, but it does also add some weight and no aftermarket piping..for $1k Hmm Dunno

Really fuckin wish i lived close to a manufacturer like this, then they could sell me on this kind of thing face to face and install it so i wouldnt hafta worry
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Sure as hell seems like this thing is the easiest IC to install by fire, I mean the guy basically just removed the lower engine cover, popped a couple screws, removed the stock IC and popped this one up and clicked it right into the stock pipes, then attached the peices that fit with the swaybar mount. Only real hard shit seemed to be the cutting, which im still a bit confused on what exactly he cut and how much..

Only question I have is to why they didnt design new hoses? Most if not all other aftermarket IC's have new hoses, most being SS or aluminum. I mean they def improved the endtanks and the size is def bigger and much more cooling and efficient, but it does also add some weight and no aftermarket piping..for $1k Hmm Dunno

Really fuckin wish i lived close to a manufacturer like this, then they could sell me on this kind of thing face to face and install it so i wouldnt hafta worry

+1. I would like to know this as well, I am guessing HPF will have a charge pipe upgrade in the future, but I am kind of worried that we may be stuck with the stock short intermediary pipe between the charge pipe and the intercooler because of that snap on connection. So in other words if HPF does not provide this piece at a later date, are we stuck with the stock plastic pipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
LOL. 30 hp gain compared to stock? What you see here is the heatsoaking stock IC compared to an aftermarket IC on this particular dyno with some cooling fans. The graphs are telling us:

1) The Stock IC heatsoaks under this specific test (it says nothing how well the stock IC performs in real live)
2) The aftermarket IC does not suffer from heatsoaking in this specific test.
3) The 30 difference: The aftermarket IC does not ADD power, but prefents from loosing power in this specific test. Power = 269 hp (appr. 309 hp engine, original BMW numbers). IF the aftermarket IC would ADD power, than the numbers should be around 335-340 engine hp, which it doesn't.
4)
> The max HP for the stock IC = 276,3
> THe max HP for the aftermarket IC = 283,2
Thats equal to me within a margin. Give me another dyno and those numbers could be easy the other way around.

I am not saying that the aftermarket IC is a worse product. It can be very well made ofcourse. But I am telling that, like all the other aftermarket IC's which are on the market, this product does not bring any news. It's as good, or as bad if you want, like it's compatitors.

have fun! acs1
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs1.35i View Post
LOL. 30 hp gain compared to stock? What you see here is the heatsoaking stock IC compared to an aftermarket IC on this particular dyno with some cooling fans. The graphs are telling us:

1) The Stock IC heatsoaks under this specific test (it says nothing how well the stock IC performs in real live)
2) The aftermarket IC does not suffer from heatsoaking in this specific test.
3) The 30 difference: The aftermarket IC does not ADD power, but prefents from loosing power in this specific test. Power = 269 hp (appr. 309 hp engine, original BMW numbers). IF the aftermarket IC would ADD power, than the numbers should be around 335-340 engine hp, which it doesn't.
4)
> The max HP for the stock IC = 276,3
> THe max HP for the aftermarket IC = 283,2
Thats equal to me within a margin. Give me another dyno and those numbers could be easy the other way around.

I am not saying that the aftermarket IC is a worse product. It can be very well made ofcourse. But I am telling that, like all the other aftermarket IC's which are on the market, this product does not bring any news. It's as good, or as bad if you want, like it's compatitors.

have fun! acs1
The graphs are there, plain as day. I don't think anyone is going to mistake the claim of +30hp as being across the board. An intercooler restores power lost due to heat soak, that's the whole point. Unless you drive only in Iceland, with stock boost, and only go wide open throttle once every five minutes, the intercooler is going to give you more power.

You seem to be concerned only with peak HP numbers, which is great if you're looking for a dyno queen. For those of us who live and drive in the real world, we are looking to increase area under the curve.

*shrug*
Appreciate 0