BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #45
Night1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Regan View Post
The seat fold mechanic (I haven’t got electric seats) is pretty crappy. It’s the only thing I am disappointed in. You have to shove and pull and tug in both directions and what should be easy is actually a pain in the backside. It belongs in a cheaper car.
A few questions:
What are you referring to in the above paragraph?
Is it the latch you pull to tilt the front seat forward so you can get in the backseat?
Would this issue go away if you had power seats?

Thanks, and great review!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #46
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGrande View Post
Love the write up Jack - oil cooler????

and to TP 135i - lol - but hey - if you ordered the sparkling graphite - did you also order the Boston Terracotta interior???
No, I ordered Black leather.....didn't notice terra in your pic. I was seriously considering Terra though. Decided to go conservative with black.
Both will look smashing, I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #47
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
yeah I changed my original order to Graphite, with Walnut and Terra.... Black will look great too!

I hope that Jack can tell us about the oil cooler.... Jack in the 335i it was under the right front wheel well. Not sure where it is on the 135i - maybe your owners manual has it or maybe you can find it yourself and snap a photo of it for the forum....

thanks,
GatoGrande...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #48
earth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90

pic of gf? :smile:
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #49
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Try this link for some nice Sparkling Graphite pictures...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...kling+Graphite

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 04:30 AM   #50
Jack Regan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night1 View Post
A few questions:
What are you referring to in the above paragraph?
Is it the latch you pull to tilt the front seat forward so you can get in the backseat?
Would this issue go away if you had power seats?

Thanks, and great review!
Yeh, that's right. I have the manual seats and I hate the operation. In my old 335 I had power seats and this was never an issue, but it maybe just operator error on my behalf!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 04:31 AM   #51
Jack Regan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGrande View Post
yeah I changed my original order to Graphite, with Walnut and Terra.... Black will look great too!

I hope that Jack can tell us about the oil cooler.... Jack in the 335i it was under the right front wheel well. Not sure where it is on the 135i - maybe your owners manual has it or maybe you can find it yourself and snap a photo of it for the forum....

thanks,
GatoGrande...
I'll get on it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #52
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Thanks Jack, this needs to be nailed down once and for all.
      01-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #53
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Jack, a few quick questions if you don't mind.

Firstly, I saw you took the ipod usb interface as an option. I read somewhere that the system uses the usb to link the ipod to the multifunction steering wheel buttons and to display song and artist names and uses the aux input to transfer the audio. Do you get a special cable that combines the usb and aux from the standard ipod docking port, or are there two separate cables - one from ipod dock to usb and the other from ipod headphone jack to the aux?

Secondly, with your 261 style wheels, do these come with an M logo (as seen in pictures posted by Advevo)?
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #54
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
And what does lexus know about sports cars? Their pre-production sports car just ran the Nurburgring in 7min 24 sec, breaking the record previously held by the Porche GT2. I think they know a lot about sports cars.
1. I'll wait for their production version of the car, with production-spec engine management, brakes and tires.

2. I'll wait for them to win a few hundred races (both sprint and endurance) afterwards.

Then finally I'll concede they do know something about sports cars... :wink:

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #55
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Yeh, that's right. I have the manual seats and I hate the operation. In my old 335 I had power seats and this was never an issue, but it maybe just operator error on my behalf!
Do you find the manual 135 seats to be any lower than the power 335 items? I'm curious...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #56
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Jack,

A quick question for you on that seat operation, please. I have a two year old daughter whom I will place in a car seat in the rear. Will I have to do this ratcheting action everytime I want to move the seat forward enough to put her in the back?

Thanks in advance!

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #57
Night1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Cool, thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #58
Jack Regan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Jack,

A quick question for you on that seat operation, please. I have a two year old daughter whom I will place in a car seat in the rear. Will I have to do this ratcheting action everytime I want to move the seat forward enough to put her in the back?

Thanks in advance!

Seth
Seth

You definitely will. The tilt action is not acute enough to squeeze even a two year-old into the back seat and it's certainly not enough to give you room to fasten her into a child seat.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #59
Jack Regan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Do you find the manual 135 seats to be any lower than the power 335 items? I'm curious...
I think the power seats in the 135 went a fraction lower, but I can't be certain that's a fact. Just the feeling I get.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #60
Jack Regan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Jack, a few quick questions if you don't mind.

Firstly, I saw you took the ipod usb interface as an option. I read somewhere that the system uses the usb to link the ipod to the multifunction steering wheel buttons and to display song and artist names and uses the aux input to transfer the audio. Do you get a special cable that combines the usb and aux from the standard ipod docking port, or are there two separate cables - one from ipod dock to usb and the other from ipod headphone jack to the aux?

Secondly, with your 261 style wheels, do these come with an M logo (as seen in pictures posted by Advevo)?
The usb interface has been a bit of an issue for me. You certainly get a special cable with the car which they advice you to link any USB device through, rather than putting it straight into the car's own slot. I tried this but it didn't work with either my old 1st gen nano or my 4th gen 60 gig classic. After reading it again carefully, it seems you actually have to buy a separate cable for an ipod from BMW - the one they supply is only compatible with other makes of usb mp3 players. However i have contacted bmw and am waiting for them to confirm this.

For an ipod, they also say you have to connect it via the aux lead too, which means two leads and a lot of mess.

As a temporary fix, I dug out my old ipod shuffle (1st gen stick version) and this works perfect with or without the cable. But i can only get 200 songs on it...

Regarding the wheels, yes, they have a small M Sport logo on them.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #61
Jack Regan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'll get on it tonight.
oil coler is in the same place as the 135i as far as i (and the manual) can tell - front wheel well.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #62
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
After reading it again carefully, it seems you actually have to buy a separate cable for an ipod from BMW - the one they supply is only compatible with other makes of usb mp3 players.

For an ipod, they also say you have to connect it via the aux lead too, which means two leads and a lot of mess.
WTF, you pay $400 for the ipod usb interface and then still need to buy another cable and also still have to plug in the aux cable. The cockpit will look like a frigging computer network room with all those cables.
Does not make sense though as the interface is supposed to work with the iphone also.

Thanks for the info and the news on the 261 wheel logo :w00t:
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #63
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
oil coler is in the same place as the 135i as far as i (and the manual) can tell - front wheel well.

Jack
Well that is good news to finally get an answer on this issue.
Do you know however (or does the manual make reference) whether the oil cooler is standard or does it only come as part of the sport package?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #64
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

Jack
Jack you meant the 135i's oil cooler is in the same place as the 335i's was.. correct?
      01-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #65
Jack Regan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
Jack you meant the 135i's oil cooler is in the same place as the 335i's was.. correct?
yeh, as far as i can tell and the manual tells me. but maybe that is just the coolant expansion tank. if i am being honest, i wouldn't know what an oil cooler looked like if it jumped up and smacked me in the face and i don't want to give you guys who need to know a bum steer.

sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #66
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

By looking into the lower left (driver side for you blokes) front air scoop, you will see a bit of radiator looking honeycomb thingy. That is an oil cooler. However, based on past history, just because the Euro model has one is not a guarantee that U.S. cars will get an oil cooler.