BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Request: Measure manual vs. powered seat adjustability

I've seen this debated in a few threads, but I don't think we've gotten a definitive answer: do the manual seats adjust lower than the powered seats? Some folks seem to think that the manual seats can sit about an inch lower than the powered seats. This is possibly due to the motor in the powered seats getting in the way. It would be awesome if some of you lucky folks who have already received your cars could help out the community with some objective measurements!

Since there's lots of variability in how close one's head will be to the headliner (seatback rake, etc.), I propose the following measurement guidelines (I'd do this myself, but none of the dealers around me are stocking manual seat 135s):

Move the driver's seat as far back as it will go, and lower the seat cushion as much as possible. Using a tape measure, measure from the seam on the bottom of the seat cushion to the headliner (not the sunroof or the sunroof shade). You can see the seam I'm referring to in the bottom right-hand corner of the picture below. I'd advocate measuring from the other side, closest to the drivers door, up to the headliner.

Does that make sense? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out with this!! :thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
psyshack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I would like to know this also. Ive only been in cars with power seats. I have to drop the seat height all the way down and recline to keep my head from bouncing off the head liner. At 6' 2" its tight head room wise. Could not wear a helmet and track the car at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WannaBe View Post
Move the driver's seat as far back as it will go, and lower the seat cushion as much as possible. Using a tape measure, measure from the seam on the bottom of the seat cushion to the headliner (not the sunroof or the sunroof shade). You can see the seam I'm referring to in the bottom right-hand corner of the picture below. I'd advocate measuring from the other side, closest to the drivers door, up to the headliner.
Wouldn't it be easier to just measure from the top of the seat cushion to the floor?

amy!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just measure from the top of the seat cushion to the floor?

amy!
You may well know better than me, since you have your car, whereas I've only visited the 1-series at a dealership. If that's easier, then by all means! Are you volunteering? :biggrin:

We need both manual and powered seat height measurements, so any one owners willing to grab some measurements, please do so! If you decide to use Amy's method, please document what point on the seat cushion you measured from for consistency.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Buy a convertible, hehehehe!
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I "measured" using my hand, from the top of the cushion at the rear of the seat, to the floor. Using this very scientific method I could find no significant difference between a manual seat in the 135i and the power seat in my 335i.

(They do use the same seats).

Perhaps there could be 1" there which would not necessarily be apparent to my calibrated hand, but if there is a difference it's not more than that.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I "measured" using my hand, from the top of the cushion at the rear of the seat, to the floor. Using this very scientific method I could find no significant difference between a manual seat in the 135i and the power seat in my 335i.

(They do use the same seats).

Perhaps there could be 1" there which would not necessarily be apparent to my calibrated hand, but if there is a difference it's not more than that.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this. Are you sure the seats are the same, though? This thread seems to indicate that they're not: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9632
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
We need both manual and powered seat height measurements, so any one owners willing to grab some measurements, please do so! If you decide to use Amy's method, please document what point on the seat cushion you measured from for consistency.
I have power seats and I'll try to dig up a measuring device tonight (I just moved, I can't find anything).

However, I was thinking that measuring to the roof could give you different results if people don't qualify coupe vs. vert.

amy! (vert owner)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this. Are you sure the seats are the same, though? This thread seems to indicate that they're not: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9632
There may be subtle differences, like the headrests mentioned in that thread. But otherwise they seem pretty much identical, and feel exactly the same.

I drove 2 135's, one with regular manual seat, the oher power sport seat. In both cases, I adjusted them all the way to the bottom - my driving preference. They both felt identical in height to me.

As I said, if there's an inch difference the only people who will notice it will be those whose head touches the ceiling, or those who wear helmets. Just my opinion...

Not that I wouldn't want to know the precise measurements...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
I have power seats and I'll try to dig up a measuring device tonight (I just moved, I can't find anything).

However, I was thinking that measuring to the roof could give you different results if people don't qualify coupe vs. vert.

amy! (vert owner)
Cool. We can ge the vert measurments!

I will do the manual set measurement for a manual seat vert. Take the measurement the way the OP specified. Taking it from the floor to the to top of the seat would be dependant on the tilt feature being the same on the manaual and power seats...which they may not. Better to directly measure what we are trying to find, which is the head room (seat cushion to roof).

Make sure you measure from the seam and that the measurement is completely vertical. I will use a level to verify I have not measured at an angle. I will psot the results tonight when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
Cool. We can ge the vert measurments!

I will do the manual set measurement for a manual seat vert. Take the measurement the way the OP specified. Taking it from the floor to the to top of the seat would be dependant on the tilt feature being the same on the manaual and power seats...which they may not. Better to directly measure what we are trying to find, which is the head room (seat cushion to roof).

Make sure you measure from the seam and that the measurement is completely vertical. I will use a level to verify I have not measured at an angle. I will psot the results tonight when I get home.
As stated above - 128i convertible with power seats measures exactly 38" from seat to headliner.
Disclaimer: since I didn't use a level this measurement is + or - 1/4" and YMMV!
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

135i convertible with manual seats gave me a measurement of 37-3/4" from the seem to the top of the headliner. That is with the seat all of the way down.

Seems the manual seats and power seats have the same headroom (at least for the vert).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #13
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Good to know, thanks very much guys! Just to confirm, these are the standard seats? It'd be good to get measurements for the sports seats as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #14
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep

Mine are the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #15
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
According to several posts that I've read from different members in other threads, the manual and power sports seats have the same range of motion, including the tilt. Therefore, it will also be helpful to know the distance from the floor to the top surface of the seat (at the same seam for consistency's sake). I would like to know this particular measurement because sitting lower in the car means the driver's weight and center of gravity is closer to the ground. A lower COG helps the car in handling and overall performance--as ever so slight it may be in this case--and it would be one advantage of manual seats over power seats.

A measurement must be made on a sports seat at the lowest setting with the tilt also at its lowest position.

Many thanks in advance to all those who can make this measurement!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
Mine are the sport seats.
So are mine.
Tom