BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
pujo31
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

New Member, Possible New 135 Owner

Hey everyone, started lurking here a couple weeks ago when I started looking to get into a new car. Great forum and definitely learned a lot so far! I am currently driving an 09 Mini Cooper S with 34k miles. Like many of these cars, I had timing chain problems which resulted in a total engine failure. After 2 weeks in the dealer to teardown the engine and run tests to make sure they could fix problem vs. replace the engine, they fixed the car under warranty but I am looking to get in to a new car before any other catastrophes.

I am looking to get myself into a 135 but have some issues and would like a second opinion... I am planning on leasing the car as after 3 years, I will be eager to get into something else and I am in a situation where a lease would be better. I just priced a 2012 Order, Jet Black, leatherette, M Sport, Heated seats, DCT. With these options, I have my lease at $472 a month for 36 months, 15k miles a year. The issue I see here is that with all the payments and initial fees ($3,488 Down, ~$2,500 equity in Mini+$925 Acquisition fee, tax and title), the residual value I was quoted was $26,315, making the total value if I want to buy after 3 years $49,328, about $6k more than MSRP of the car. Am I wrong in saying that I am getting totally ripped off here? I am not opposed to getting a lightly used 2011 car or a CPO but there were no suitable options at my dealer in Baltimore.

This is the first car I am purchasing myself and this seems way over the top. Seems to me that the residual value is far too high or I shouldn't being paying much due at signing. I would really appreciate any advice regarding this, as I am doing all I can to get myself in the 135 but seems that this is just flat out unreasonable. Thanks for any and all help!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Here is a worksheet from Consumer reports to help you out. Personally, I would not buy my car at the end of the lease. You will always be able to find a better deal with the same or similar model. OR, you can do as many of my friends do and that is Lease a new model

documenting_the_deal.pdf

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Dont do it.. Buy something cheap and reliable. Cus the Mini and BMW is one in the same. I have a stack of service records. I bought my car brand new at the end of 2010.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I think youre problem is the 15K a year lease. Youll want to drive it way more that that

Or at least thats what happened to me. I leased with a 12K a year, and then put 20-25K a year. I rolled up so much extra mileage by the time that my lease expired that it was cheaper to buy the car than to pay the mileage penalties!

Well I said that until my injectors failed last month and blew up my fuel system.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I think youre problem is the 15K a year lease. Youll want to drive it way more that that

Or at least thats what happened to me. I leased with a 12K a year, and then put 20-25K a year. I rolled up so much extra mileage by the time that my lease expired that it was cheaper to buy the car than to pay the mileage penalties!

Well I said that until my injectors failed last month and blew up my fuel system.
any news about that btw??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
pujo31
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Thanks for the advice so far! I cannot say right now that I will end up buying the car after 3 years as I do think at the end of 3 years I will want to get into something else. It seems to be a matter of principal at this point, in that when all is said and done, it seems that I theoretically could be paying way more for a no option car than I should.

Thanks for the spreadsheet, ken1137. Will definitely document this to make sure it all works out accordingly. And as for Stoutnj89, whats the fun in buying something cheap and reliable?? I thought I was getting that in the Mini and turns out that wasn't the case!
Appreciate 0