BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #23
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

I have Style 203 wheels with 235/40 front and 255/35 rear 18" tires. These came from the performance suspension option on an E86 Z4. The front rims are 8" wide with an offset of 47mm. The stock 135i 7.5" front has an offset of 49mm.

This means the inside edge of my wheels are 4mm closer to the strut. I am using the Hankook Evo 112 tire that has very square shoulders. This is moving the tire closer towards the strut with both the extra rim and tire width.

It fits and looks great to me. My taste are conservative and do not like wheels outside of the wheel arch and hate when wheels rub. I have checked carefully and the only possible way with this setup to have any problems, running the stock springs, is to put the car on a lift or have the car flying with the wheels off of the ground. This allows full extension of the front suspension.

Then turn the wheels as hard as possible and the tire will barely touch the strut rod. If you did this in real life when the car came down you would imediately roll the car and the tire barely touching would be the least of your problems. In the real world this will not rub and has 12mm clearance between the tire and strut rod at standard ride height.

When you add M3 wishbones, as I am, you would probably not touch at all.

The wheels and tires do look very much like a factory fit on the outside of the wheels and are inside the wheel arches.

235/40 can fit on the fronts easily if you are carefull with the offsets. It will work with the stock style 264/261M wheels. The only problem is the 235 section width is really to wide for the 7.5" wheel width. If you must stick with the stock 7.5" width wheel it should be safer and perform better with a 225/40 front tire.

I hope this rambling helps.....I worked hard to get a setup that works and looks similar to factory without spacers.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #24
Tirewarmer
All of your tracks are belong to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Had the tires mounted today. As you'll be able to see in the photos, the tire shop, that routinely deals with huge truck dubs and low low low profile tires still managed to gouge my wheels. They are being very stand up about the whole thing and repairing the damage or replacing the wheels. Does anyone know if the M package wheels are powdercoated or painted? I'll start another thread about this.

As far as fitment of the 235 Star Specs up front, easy money, not a problem. I've been autoxing and running track events for 10 years, and there is plenty of room compared to some of the setups that I have been on. I can easily fit a finger between the strut body and the widest portion of the tire.

As far as the 235 being too large for the wheel, I'd have to disagree with the manufacturer specifying at least an 8 inch wide wheel here. The tire fits very well. I have seen much, much worse as far as balooning sidewall. The design of this tire is very similar to the new Hoosier R compounds, with a cantilever like lip that accomodates a slightly undersized wheel without distorting the sidewall.

With the choice of 225 and 235 again, I would definately go 235. I am almost thinking now that a 245/35 with a 5mm spacer and stock ride height would work. I haven't looked at the rears yet, but am wondering if a 265 is possible on the stock wheels.

And for the people who like photographic evidence, here you go:

1996 Miata
2009 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #25
Cali135
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

This is so weird for me coming from an 03 CObra with 325's at the rear to doing the same thing you guys are doing which is trying to get more meat on the car to enhance the look and grip but 235's and 265's are so small compared to what I am used to. I love this car but wish had come with wider rims and tires. I want to ditch the run flats soon since they are pretty bad for handling and traction.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
Victory Road
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

that looks so good on the 1er! Great choice to go with 235's!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirewarmer View Post
Had the tires mounted today. As you'll be able to see in the photos, the tire shop, that routinely deals with huge truck dubs and low low low profile tires still managed to gouge my wheels. They are being very stand up about the whole thing and repairing the damage or replacing the wheels. Does anyone know if the M package wheels are powdercoated or painted? I'll start another thread about this.

As far as fitment of the 235 Star Specs up front, easy money, not a problem. I've been autoxing and running track events for 10 years, and there is plenty of room compared to some of the setups that I have been on. I can easily fit a finger between the strut body and the widest portion of the tire.

As far as the 235 being too large for the wheel, I'd have to disagree with the manufacturer specifying at least an 8 inch wide wheel here. The tire fits very well. I have seen much, much worse as far as balooning sidewall. The design of this tire is very similar to the new Hoosier R compounds, with a cantilever like lip that accomodates a slightly undersized wheel without distorting the sidewall.

With the choice of 225 and 235 again, I would definately go 235. I am almost thinking now that a 245/35 with a 5mm spacer and stock ride height would work. I haven't looked at the rears yet, but am wondering if a 265 is possible on the stock wheels.

you could order another set of rear wheels for up front and add 10 mm spacer and go 245's. that avoids non-hubcentric spacers and narrow wheels.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #28
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

I have Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and they seem to have dumped my car pretty far down. Right now I have the front as high as it goes and it's still noticably lower than stock. do you think there's any way I can still fit the 235. I just got my 255 for the rears for a drag days. If you can tell me your clearnace to the top of the fender on the stock suspension I can probably do some measuring and come up with my own answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #29
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I also have PSS10 (with M3 lower arms and alignment pin removed for more camber), and ride set at highest, with 225/40/18 R888 tyres on 18x8 OZ Ultraleggeras (ET40) it rubs on the track (especially Nordschleife), but on the street it's ok. I would say for 235/40 with the PSS10 you will need camber plates. The type of tyre will also have an impact - as the profile between different brands can be more or less square.

The official OEM measurements for ride height are measured from the lower lip of the rim to the wheel arch and are:

Front: 592mm
Rear: 584mm

I'd be interested to hear how low you are in the front ~560mm seems to be the norm after PSS10 installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #30
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

I'm by no means a tire expect, but my service advisor told me never ever, ever, ever buy a Dunlop tire. Cheap. Dunlop makes tennis racquets, not tires.

Quote:
Is anyone running this setup on their stock width 7.5" Front and 8.5" Rear wheels? Or is anyone running one of either size on either end?

From what I've read and looking at the room in the wheel wells, the rears should fit easily, but I'm not so sure about the front.

Does anyone have the 225/40R18s Star Specs on the front that can tell me what kind of clearance they have, since I'd only need and extra 5mm inside/outside, and .2 inches in diameter?

Anyone have pics of their Star Specs on the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #31
jcs20
Rep
Drives:

Hi Tirewarmer what tire pressure are you using for autocross ?any other mods and what scca class?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #32
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
I'm by no means a tire expect, but my service advisor told me never ever, ever, ever buy a Dunlop tire. Cheap. Dunlop makes tennis racquets, not tires.
I would never take tire advice from your tire guy again.

Tire buying should be a factually based decision, not a religious one. Your service advisor is making a huge generalization about a particular experience he had with a customer or a personal set of tires. I'm not vouching for every model tire dunlop makes. hell there are plenty of michelins and what not that I would never want. But when your talking about a very specific model tire that has been proven time and time again to be a leader... then calling them cheap in a negative way is a big mistake on his part
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #33
Tirewarmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs20 View Post
Hi Tirewarmer what tire pressure are you using for autocross ?any other mods and what scca class?
I haven't taken the car out to an event yet. Will probably drive it at an event at a small lot in N. Charleston at the end of the month. I'll let you know what I figure out. I'll have my tire pyrometer with me, but not sure how much a small lot/course will tell me.

No mods yet other than replacing the tires. Hoping that I have time to pop out the front alignment pins and max out the negative camber before the autox. I will be teaching a Tirerack Street Survival School on Saturday, so I would have use of the skidpad to test tire pressures. Hmmm....
1996 Miata
2009 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #34
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
Your service advisor is amazingly clueless. Obviously, the only Dunlop tires he/she has experience with are the runflats, and those do stink. The Star Specs are the best ultra/extreme performance street tire being sold right now. The price is fantastic compared to the Yoko AD-07/AD-08's, and Bridgestone RE-11s too, which are the only tires close to the Star Specs in performance levels.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #35
habib
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 coupe 6mt

Smile

Quote:

Looks good! Any updates on how this setup is working out for you? Any rubbing or issues at all? Just to be clear, your suspension is 100% stock, right?

I should be installing mine tomorrow and will take a couple pics and post impressions after a good drive ;-)

Btw, hi guys, I finally signed up after months of lurking. I've got over 30k Miles on my 2008 135i and am looking forward to being a part of this board and sharing some knowledge...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #36
habib
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 coupe 6mt

Well...the good news is that they fit like a glove and my initial impression is that these tires ROCK!

Of course I wasn't able to test them out much because my HPFP failed for the second time (at about 31k miles)! Talk about a serious tease...

I'll post pics once I have my car back and then start properly scrubbing them in ;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #37
Tirewarmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by habib View Post
Looks good! Any updates on how this setup is working out for you? Any rubbing or issues at all? Just to be clear, your suspension is 100% stock, right?

I should be installing mine tomorrow and will take a couple pics and post impressions after a good drive ;-)

Btw, hi guys, I finally signed up after months of lurking. I've got over 30k Miles on my 2008 135i and am looking forward to being a part of this board and sharing some knowledge...
Stock suspension and no rubbing at all yet for me and I have 3K miles since the tires have been installed. I wish that I had tried to go wider on the front. I think that it can be done.
1996 Miata
2009 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #38
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

link from when i did this back in april (potenza re01r):

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252882

it doesn't rub... not even on track.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #39
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

So I gues winter setup like 17" et 47 8" wide should work with 225/45 Dunlop 3D tires?

P.S. I tested rim w/o tire on front so I could'nt fit a finger between the strut body and rim. There was like 7mm gap between them.

So I think if they will not fit. To add spacers 3mm, just don't know if it will work with beveled center bore, as the spacers are hub less.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #40
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

Bumping an old thread.

I have the M-sport suspension, which means I'm a bit lower than stock. Can I fit a 235 up front, or should I stick with a 225?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #41
135nRXP
Boooooost!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony View Post
Bumping an old thread.

I have the M-sport suspension, which means I'm a bit lower than stock. Can I fit a 235 up front, or should I stick with a 225?
I have been running Hankook V12 Evo K110 in 235/265 for over 20k miles and I have had zero issues. My front tires have plenty of tread, plus no signs of rubbing and my back ones are ready to be replace with that many miles, but no rubbing there as well.
      03-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #42
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135nRXP View Post
I have been running Hankook V12 Evo K110 in 235/265 for over 20k miles and I have had zero issues. My front tires have plenty of tread, plus no signs of rubbing and my back ones are ready to be replace with that many miles, but no rubbing there as well.
Are you running this size on the stock 261-style wheels?

Guess I can fit 225/255 without issue then!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #43
135nRXP
Boooooost!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony View Post
Are you running this size on the stock 261-style wheels?

Guess I can fit 225/255 without issue then!
Yep.. standard 261 M-sport wheels.