BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #67
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Very nicely written review Pete! I have taken my lightly modified 1M to the track many times and I can confirm that it can be a handful to drive quickly especially at speed. It has trouble putting down power well especially on corner exit.

I also own a Cayman S as you do and while it is nowhere near the amount of car as the GT3, it certainly has the Porsche 'DNA' and drives vastly differently than any FR I have driven. The confidence the Porsche inspires is night and day compared to the 1M. Both however are great fun to drive!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #68
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
1. It's not "to the wheels". To the wheels is after gearing.
"Rear Wheel Horsepower", RWHP, and "Rear Wheel Torque" RWTQ are standard terms across the industry, used to do equations like those below. I don't make the rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
Go ask a physics person.
Yep, I'm an engineer. I don't want another misplaced 1M/ M3 debate, but I will try to explain my comment as to why the 1M breaks the rear tires loose relatively easily.

The formula to calculate it yourself is as follows: Take the torque figure after driveline losses (otherwise known as that RWTQ number above), multiply it by the ratio of the gear you are in, then multiply that by the final drive ratio. This will give you in-gear torque. Example:

1M 1st gear:
360 lb-ft x 4.11 x 3.15 = 4667 lb-ft.

M3 DCT 1st gear:
255 lb-ft x 4.78 x 3.15 = 3844 lb-ft.

So in this example the 1M's peak twist is 21% higher than the M3, the car has roughly 100 lbs or 6% less weight over the same drive wheels and tires, so the car is going to break traction much more easily.

However this calculation is for peak torque, and peak torque by itself doesn't tell us much about overall acceleration, which is what you're trying to get at. For that you need to know speed, weight and at higher speeds drag. To avoid a physics lecture, the short version is that higher in a gear, as the 1M's torque falls off, the M3 remains nearly constant, so higher peak acceleration does not guarantee higher average acceleration and hence that a car is faster at a given speed or overall. There is a lot on the topic already, perhaps you'd like to take it up in one of the other threads, such as:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668630

Last edited by Pete_vB; 05-01-2014 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #69
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Boy, I love reading these posts. Now, if I could just understand them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #70
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #71
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

One of my favourite thread.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #72
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
One of my favourite thread.

Agree... And to all the haters
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #73
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats
That's what e1000 said.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #74
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

[QUOTE=ozinaldo]
Kudos to Pete for taking the high road and continuing to drop the science.

Not bad for a non "physics person". Oops. Physicist.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #75
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW 1M (MH1 S)

Great write up!!
Performance: Manhart Stage 4 Tune (+ CF Airbox, FMIC, Oil Cooler), Akra Titanium Full Exhaust + cat delete, Manhart Headers, cp-e CP, HKS BOV, Quaife Helical Diff, CDV Delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #76
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Agree... And to all the haters
Gee, I hope no one took my feeble attempt at self-deprecating humor as the comment of a hater. I love reading intelligent and well-written posts like the one mine followed. I agree this is a great thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #77
Roadsterdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Porsche996TT 69Datsun2000

Pete (OP). Great write up. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. My friends ask me why I drive my 1M more than my 996T. I used to own a MINI JCW and they asked the same thing. My response was simply that the 996T was too much car for this town. There is a need for a lot more room for the Porsche to be really fun to drive, to feel unbridled. I'm not worried about putting miles on the Porsche either; it was my daily driver for 6 years. It has massive torque and can always make me feel like the superhero I'm not. It is very different from a GT3 experience and your words do not directly transmit to my scenario. But I get it. I thoroughly enjoyed your post and this entire thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #78
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
I'd love to hear Pete's and others' thoughts on driving the 1M vs an air-cooled 993 or the outgoing water-cooled 997--not the turbo or GT3 models, just the straight six engines.

I realize that the 1M has more HP and more torque than the 993 and similar numbers compared to the 997. I don't care about numbers or which car is "faster."

But, what's it like to drive these cars, both on the track and on day-to-day road use? Thx.
I don't have much time in a regular 997 and it was some time ago, but I can give you a "blink" on my recent experience in stock 993s, keeping in mind you mentioned track and not only street use.

I have a soft spot for the 993, and have toyed with picking one up off and on. It's a bit of a "goldilocks" 911, so it's new enough to include modern essentials like abs, power steering, airbags, and headlights that work, but it's also compact, oozes quality and has air cooled charisma that the newer cars can't match. And while the early 911s have undeniable charms, enjoying them requires a certain commitment and willingness compromise, where in comparison the 993 virtually doesn't.

Thus there are many reasons to like the 993 even before you consider its special place in Porsche history- it ends an era beyond simply the air-cooled engine. Pre 996 Porsches were highly over-engineered. An unwritten rule was that every Porsche was built to go racing- gearboxes and drivelines were engineered for at least double the car's rated output. Every 911 had dry-sump oiling, a rebuild-able gearbox, and everything, from switches to door shuts, was solid to its core. It was a philosophy that almost bankrupted the company- Porsche came very close to hitting the wall in the 90s, and could no longer afford to build so much quality into every car.

Thus while the cars continued to get quicker and more capable after the 993, build quality took a noticeable step backwards, and the 911 line was separated into a small number of highly track capable versions (GT3s, GT2s) and a larger number of "cooking" versions made mainly for the street. The latter are still great street cars, unquestionably, but something was also lost.

With this as a backdrop the 993 seems like the perfect 911, and for many it will be. For me, however, it's not quite the right fit for dual street/ competition use, or at least not in stock form, largely because the 993 is more of a GT than a sports car, at least when compared to earlier 911s and to some extent the 1M.

This GT feels comes as a bit of a surprise- the 993 is more compact, and the low slung seating position indicate real sporting pretensions. However Stuttgart felt the 964 was too hard for the majority of their customers, so they intentionally dulled its edge slightly. They may well have been right, but personally I'm left wishing they’d imported the RS or made a 993 RS America.

You get an example of Porsche's revised philosophy before you even get rolling. The heavy dual-mass flywheel reduces vibration and makes the car harder to stall, but it dulls the sharp response of the normally aspirated flat six immensely, enough that I have trouble adjusting. The same motor feels infinitely more sporting with the RS's light flywheel.

Overall Noise/ Vibration/ Harshness is also GT level- compared with the much younger 1M a good condition stock 993 not only rides better, but is generally more isolating. At highway speeds the 1M's exhaust drone can make it comparatively uncouth, though the 993 may have more wind noise (or it could just be old seals in the examples I've recently driven). Overall the 993 is likely the more comfortable cruiser despite its age: it's solid, quiet and nicely sprung especially over bumps that can upset the 1M. The flip side however is that it feels noticeably softer when you push it.

This is due to more than philosophy: over the last few decades sports cars have generally gotten sharper and stiffer, and the 1M's short tire sidewalls combine with higher spring rates give it significantly quicker response. Pushed hard the 993 seems to take twice the time to turn in then take a set. Its balance is surprisingly and amusingly tail led when you're pushing on corner entry, but slip angles tend to be fairly small and almost self-correcting compared to the early cars. It rewards tidy rather than sideways, and from mid-corner onwards it wants to understeer mildly, with limited options to adjust the chassis balance due to rear end stick and lack of power. It's certainly enjoyable, but the lack of adjust-ability in particular can get frustrating- this would be the deciding vote in favor of the 1M for the autocross/ track over a stock 993.

Of course mid corner balance can be adjusted with a little setup effort or modifications, but the 993 has another handling quirk that's less obvious and addressable. The rear axle incorporates an evolved "Weissach" system, designed to stabilize the rear end and tame some of the infamous early 911 lift throttle oversteer. It does this admirably by steering the rear wheels slightly in response to load, effectively counter-steering to check the rear end's slide before it begins. Every modern Porsche since the 964 has used something like it, and are faster and better handling for it, however in the 993's case it has perhaps too much of a good thing for modern tires. To a sensitive driver rear steer over bumps can feel like the back end beginning to break loose, and under the higher loads imparted by sticky rubber the rear steers more than it was designed to. I find it disconcerting in certain situations, mid corner bumps or quick slalom-like transitions in particular. Porsche reduced this rear-steer effect in the RS and all newer 911s, again making me wish we’d gotten an RS version here. On the other hand the rear-steer and high polar moment likely do help give the 993 a high-speed stability advantage that's noticeable and so significant on fast sweepers.

In terms of outright speed the 1M obviously feels significantly faster, again due to the torque - it’s got a nearly 30% better thrust to weight ratio in first, and the US spec 993 has notoriously awkwardly wide-spaced gear ratios as speeds climb. Of course as I've said you can have tons of fun in "slower" cars, so this deficit certainly isn't a deal-breaker, though certainly some of the bucking-bronco excitement of the 1M is missing.

In other ways the 993 stacks up remarkably well given its age. Cornering limits are only slightly lower on similar tires. Its 6 speed has a longer throw than the 1M, but feels both good and modern, while the 993's brakes are just slightly behind, very good for an older car. And while the 993 motor is lower on power and torque stock, I trust it more under track use.

Much of the above reads like the 993 isn't a great car. It is- I'm hugely impressed with its all-round abilities. I'd happily daily drive one, take one for a road trip or go for a back road blast, and they'll go hundreds of thousands of miles and still feel solid. It's a timeless car and I expect it to be a future classic (even more than it already is). However for my usage I keep wishing for a lighter, sharper, quicker reacting car. Keep the heavy flywheel and sunroof, stiffen the suspension, reduce the rear steer and tighten the gearing. In short I keep wishing for an RS.

It is possible to essentially make a 993 into an "RS America" and address all of these issues, though it's not exactly easy or cheap. However that's my personal debate- either accept the 993 for the great GT that it is, or change quite a few parts to unlock the great sports car hiding underneath. I've got a list going, and I think it can be done reversibly and for less than 10k forgoing the more expensive bits. Or you could simply spend a small fortune and get a 993 RS. Any of these options sound pretty good actually, which is why the 993 is so sought after and will remain so.

Last edited by Pete_vB; 05-06-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
duder13767.00
      05-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #79
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

I love this, so true. I still remember the first time i shut the door on a clean 964 at the dealer (3 or 4 years back), I just stopped and gasped for a few moments. The way the door shut was just simply amazing. It oozed craftsmanship that I've never felt in any of my more recent Porsches. The door just clicked shut, perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Thus there are many reasons to like the 993 even before you consider its special place in Porsche history- it ends an era beyond simply the air-cooled engine. Pre 996 Porsches were highly over-engineered. An unwritten rule was that every Porsche was built to go racing- gearboxes and drivelines were engineered for at least double the car's rated output. Every 911 had dry-sump oiling, a rebuild-able gearbox, and everything, from switches to door shuts, was solid to its core. It was a philosophy that almost bankrupted the company- Porsche came very close to hitting the wall in the 90s, and could no longer afford to build so much quality into every car.