BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Broke End Links; lights all over

I've searched through google and youtube and haven't found a direct answer to my question/problem

I broke my passenger sway bar end link and my ABS, Brake and Traction Control lights came on instantly. I assumed this was due to wire damage when the end link broke however I could not find any upon inspection. I replaced the end link with a new unit and expected the lights to go out however that did not happen.

I tried resetting through the dash commands and it failed to work, I tried clearing codes through my JB4 and that also failed (32C7 and 32D9 - i believe them to be ghost codes because I could not find a match when searching for those specific codes)

Any suggestions on where I go from here? Thinking it could be a wheel bearing or speed sensor, but the wires were intact and looked undamaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Did you happen to see any damage to the wheels speed sensor or the wire coming from the wheel speed sensor? That would cause the warning lights you're seeing.

Edit: I'm fucking retarded. I didn't see your last paragraph until I sent the post. Still think that's the most likely culprit.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Did you happen to see any damage to the wheels speed sensor or the wire coming from the wheel speed sensor? That would cause the warning lights you're seeing.

Edit: I'm fucking retarded. I didn't see your last paragraph until I sent the post. Still think that's the most likely culprit.
haha, when the end link broke the top half dropped out of the car and the bottom half stayed connected. Not sure what happened to the lock nut on top but it was gone.

another symptom i forgot to mention is that if I'm on the brake at all while turning, my ABS kicks on.

I rotated wheel all the way to each side multiple times in an attempt to reset the steering column to the new end link but that failed as well. I'm lowered on coils and think i need to pony up for adjustable end links to get the correct sway bar height

starting to think my purchase from Pure might be put on hold while i mess with maintenance stuff...what a let down
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Dmak
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Remove the wheel speed sensor from the side that had the broken link. Check for any thing like a piece of metal that got stuck on it. Check where the sensor go in. Look for anything that shouldn't be there. Good luck
Appreciate 0