BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Car in shop, need new shock advice asap

Hope I am not breaking rules by cross posting from the autocross forum, but I need some advice asap and am kinda desperate.

So I have been considering new shocks to improve my 135i in D stock autocross for a while now, but something has come up. Pulling out of my driveway a few days ago I heard a bang and a horrible rubbing sound, pulled the wheel to find that my front right OEM spring had broken right in half. The car is at the shop now, and I need to decide asap which shocks I should pick up, so that they can replace them at the same time as my springs.

I am a casual autocrosser, no national level for me, but I would like to improve the handling a bit while I am in there. The car is all stock except for an m3 E93 front sway, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports. 2008 135i with 60k miles. Because of the stock class rules, I am going to keep the oem sport springs, but I want to change the shocks. Not much else I can do to the suspension without leaving stock class.

Since this was a surprise purchase, budget is an issue. I am looking mostly at the Koni Yellows or Koni FSDs. From what I have found, I can pick up Koni yellows from tire rack for $730, but without the externally adjustable rear damping. HP Autowerks has them with external damping, but they are $1172. Yikes. Or I can pick up a set of FSDs for $800.

So what is my best option for autocross? Will I be happy with the FSD's? Ride comfort is semi important, but I want to improve my autocross handling. Or do I need to bite the bullet and get adjustable yellows? for $400 more :-(

Thanks for the asap help guys, I really appreciate it. This is my Daily, so I need to order today.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
euro2fast4u
Private
Rep
Drives: signle turbo e30

http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/ht...ear=%272008%27
      01-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

BMW performance springs and shocks. or BMW performance springs+koni fsd.

Still my personal choice would be BMW PE or Bilstein B12 Pro kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
thothtp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Stock class, can't change the springs. They have to be the OEM sport suspension that came on the car. So no BMW performance or coilovers.

The shocks however are open, as long as they are double single or non adjustable. They are considered a "wear" item, so they can be changed.

How are the Koni sports on stock adjustment in the rear? I could pick up a set of them from Tirerack for cheap, and just adjust the fronts for balance while leaving the back as is. Gives me adjust-ability in the front at least, and saves money, but is it as good as the FSD's?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I'd look into Bilstein B6 (HD). they are designed to work with the stock height.
Appreciate 0