BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
pnosker
ti fan
Rep
Drives: 14 12C | 17 X5 50i | 19 M2C

Garage List
Bluetooth Retrofit if you already have MULF2/prewired for BT

This took me about a week to finally get working after getting the parts in. As some background, I have a 2008 135i with the factory iPod/USB/Aux option. I previously had a Parrot Tablet in order to have bluetooth and bluetooth audio functionality but was tired of it blocking my center vent.

I had read on E90Post a few threads of bluetooth retrofitting, but most involved the use of a TCU which the car didn't have. I went and bought the TCU as well as the necessary bluetooth antenna and microphone on eBay and installed them since my car was prewired for bluetooth. This involves removing the lights/sunroof controller by depressing the two tabs at the front using a screwdriver. Once it's out, you remove the dummy mic clip and insert your microphone and plug the connector in.

After installing the mic, I installed the bluetooth antenna. It's located in the kick panel under the steering wheel. Remove the torx screws and pull it down and near the back left is a wrapped connector that fits the antenna. Connect and you're good to go. The antenna has a slot to clip in and I secured using double sided foam tape.

Finally, at the rear of the car is the MULF2 mounted with an empty spot for the TCU. If you already have the MULF2, don't waste your time and money to get a TCU since the MULF2 can serve the same purpose (and in fact, I couldn't ever get the TCU to work properly with the MULF2 installed). If you're using your MULF2, take the TCU prewiring and remove the clip on the white/purple connector so you have a simple SMA connector. Plug it into the MULF2 empty terminal.

Next, you need to take the TCU connector and remove it from the connector bracket and remove pins 1 and 19 (microphone pins) and move into the connector already attached to the MULF2. Put old pin 1 and 19 into MULF2 connector pin 1 and 19, respectively. This allows your MULF2 to have microphone wiring.

Lastly, under the dashboard next to the fuse box you need to rewire the microphone by moving 3 pins. Please see the linked guides that inspired me below.

Once you've done all this, simply FA_WRITE $644 to the CAS and NFRM, then SG_RESET the 2URAD and 2MULF. My car needed to sleep overnight, but the next day bluetooth worked.

Guides I used that will be useful:
Installing the microphone and antenna (and TCU if you want to go that route)
Rewiring the microphone under the dashboard next to fuse box
Moving microphone pins from TCU connector to MULF2 connector
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
E82Performance
Heavy User
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 ‘125i’

Very interesting!

Do you use all OEM parts? because I went to see my dealer a few months ago to check this out (I have the MULF2 in the rear as well)
but they do not have the necessary parts anymore to make it work.
(Bluetooth antenne + Mic??) or at least that is what they told me.

Do you have OEM part numbers- or did you use some other brand?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Captain Confused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 1985 327i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82Performance View Post
Very interesting!

Do you use all OEM parts? because I went to see my dealer a few months ago to check this out (I have the MULF2 in the rear as well)
but they do not have the necessary parts anymore to make it work.
(Bluetooth antenne + Mic??) or at least that is what they told me.

Do you have OEM part numbers- or did you use some other brand?

I did this mod along with idrive and combox upgrade recently. It's pretty straight forward if you can read wiring diagrams and can code the car yourself or know someone who can

Here are the part numbers you asked about

Antenna: 84506928461
Mic: 84110302900
Appreciate 1