BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Rubinos135i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Xenon headlight replacement questions

Hi, i bought a e88 recently and its been quite a problem, but now that im getting the mechanical stuff out of the way i want to take care of my destroyed headlights (they are heavily corroded) I have the xenon adaptive headlights and i know they are ridiculously expensive. Im not looking to spend more than like $600ish for both of them but i am open to any advice for help. i found a few xenon non adaptive options on amazon and was wondering if they would work. I know the adaptive option can be coded out and i honestly could care less about the feature, i just want working headlights. again i would be really appreciative of any and all advice
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

What else in the light assembly isn’t working? I see you said heavily corroded but it still might be cheaper to replace a part or two or maybe not worth it in the long run.
I recently changed my halo bulbs to LED and I didn’t get the passenger rear cover on completely and now throwing a code for the adaptive light. I’m going to my shop next week and them code it out. Everything else inside works at this time but other components might fail down the road due to moisture intrusion. I’m going to roll the dice and hope for the best. They are a lot of cash to replace. Have you tried used sources? You might get lucky. Good luck
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Rubinos135i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
What else in the light assembly isn’t working? I see you said heavily corroded but it still might be cheaper to replace a part or two or maybe not worth it in the long run.
I recently changed my halo bulbs to LED and I didn’t get the passenger rear cover on completely and now throwing a code for the adaptive light. I’m going to my shop next week and them code it out. Everything else inside works at this time but other components might fail down the road due to moisture intrusion. I’m going to roll the dice and hope for the best. They are a lot of cash to replace. Have you tried used sources? You might get lucky. Good luck
I have looked a lot into used options but a lot of them are around 500+ for one light. my lights are pretty badly oxidized and the clips holding them in are broken in places,dont make fun of me because i bought it like this and i already an regretting the decision because of the expenses but i love the car. ove replaced the bulbs and ballasts and that costed me a lot only for that not to be the problem, its just an absurd amount of corrosion in the ballast connection. im aware that i might have to spend near a grand but i was hoping that i could get some kind of less expensive option to work and look good
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not making fun of you by a long shot. Both of us are pretty much in the same boat when it comes to the 135 zenons. Im trying to decide which way I’m going to go also.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubinos135i View Post
I have looked a lot into used options but a lot of them are around 500+ for one light. my lights are pretty badly oxidized and the clips holding them in are broken in places,dont make fun of me because i bought it like this and i already an regretting the decision because of the expenses but i love the car. ove replaced the bulbs and ballasts and that costed me a lot only for that not to be the problem, its just an absurd amount of corrosion in the ballast connection. im aware that i might have to spend near a grand but i was hoping that i could get some kind of less expensive option to work and look good
There are headlight repair kits for the support/attachment clips, just FYI. Sorry I can't help with your OG question though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #6
Rubinos135i
United_States
Rep

I purchased some headlights off amazon for like 190 each and they are xenons without adaptive functions, ill let yall know how it goes when it arrives and ill keep active here in the meantime
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2707.00
      07-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Rubinos135i
United_States
Rep

so the headlights i got work pretty great, but if i were to do the swap again id make sure to get the replacement brackets because one of them turned out to be broken from a while back i presume. they fit fine, im just salty that one of the headlights slightly move when i hit a bump.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Thanks for your comment.
So, you changed from halogen to LED?
What LED are you using?
Are you using the original halogen reflector for the LED?
I've read that LEDs need to be adjusted well, or they can spray out unwanted light to oncoming traffic.
I'd sure like to see your setup. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I went with Cree H8 bulbs. Didn’t have to fiddle with anything else, old ones out, new ones in. Looks great and adds a very nice touch of clean bright white light. No one has flashed me for blinding them in the couple months I’ve had them. I recommend. Just make sure you get that passenger side back cover on correctly. No pics sorry.
Appreciate 0