BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #111
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Sure, that would be excellent. They just made one from the N52 E90, so I was curious if they were going to modify it for our use.
I just spoke with Rob over there a moment ago. Currently there are no plans to make an exhaust for the 128i, unfortunately.

Does anyone currently make one? If there is a 128i in the Central Florida area, we would love to talk about making a custom exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #112
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I guess I just wanted to confirm that there WAS a newer tune (their website doesn't mention it) and what was different about it. And it sounds like it replaces the previous tune? In other words, they're nor selling Stage 1 and Stage 2 side by side at two different price points? Thanks.
      07-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #113
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I guess I just wanted to confirm that there WAS a newer tune (their website doesn't mention it) and what was different about it. And it sounds like it replaces the previous tune? In other words, they're nor selling Stage 1 and Stage 2 side by side at two different price points? Thanks.
I can see where things become unclear here. . .let me attempt to shed some light, if I may.

The "Stage 2" tune is indeed an upgrade, but you automatically get it now if you purchase a tune from them for your N52 128i/328i. Think of it more as a "Generation 2" tune.

If you purchased a tune from them, say, a year or so ago, you are eligible for the upgraded software. If you buy it today, you automatically get what would be considered the stage 2 file.

We have flashed NUMEROUS cars here with the upgrade from their old file from AA, and have had rave reviews time and time again. The upgrade is $100 if you have an older file.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #114
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@PSI View Post
I just spoke with Rob over there a moment ago. Currently there are no plans to make an exhaust for the 128i, unfortunately.

Does anyone currently make one? If there is a 128i in the Central Florida area, we would love to talk about making a custom exhaust.
Currently we have the BMW PE, Magnaflow, and SuperSprint has one in development.

Thanks for getting our questions answered.
      07-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #115
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Currently we have the BMW PE, Magnaflow, and SuperSprint has one in development.

Thanks for getting our questions answered.
Absolutely! I know about the Performance one, we've installed a couple of them here. Maybe we will work something out with a Vibrant muffler and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #116
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@PSI
Quote:
I can see where things become unclear here. . .let me attempt to shed some light, if I may.

The "Stage 2" tune is indeed an upgrade, but you automatically get it now if you purchase a tune from them for your N52 128i/328i. Think of it more as a "Generation 2" tune.

If you purchased a tune from them, say, a year or so ago, you are eligible for the upgraded software. If you buy it today, you automatically get what would be considered the stage 2 file.

We have flashed NUMEROUS cars here with the upgrade from their old file from AA, and have had rave reviews time and time again. The upgrade is $100 if you have an older file.

Hope this helps!
Frank- thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
      07-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #117
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@PSI View Post
I'm 90 minutes away - also I bought mine in RI so it's an SULEV N51 if that matters. I work from home so if I had to leave my baby with you for a few days that could be arranged.
      07-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #118
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2178 View Post
I'm 90 minutes away - also I bought mine in RI so it's an SULEV N51 if that matters. I work from home so if I had to leave my baby with you for a few days that could be arranged.
Shoot me a PM, let's make something work for you!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #119
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly how it is, I just got the AA tune installed and got confirmed it is stage 2, making about 20hp. Not sure why Andrew is not responding, they are great in returning email to me, even at 9pm at night when I had problems with the first install. They are so quick on working around my wishes. Within 2 days I am now at revision 3 of the AA tune, having the Simon tool definitely helps with the turn around times

I will write a complete report once I install the latest tune tonight and have some more driving time to test, probably by Saturday.

Anyway, send Andrew a direct email, maybe they are too busy to monitor the forum.

So far, I am loving it, strong pull and so linear
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #120
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk
Quote:
Exactly how it is, I just got the AA tune installed and got confirmed it is stage 2, making about 20hp. Not sure why Andrew is not responding, they are great in returning email to me, even at 9pm at night when I had problems with the first install. They are so quick on working around my wishes. Within 2 days I am now at revision 3 of the AA tune, having the Simon tool definitely helps with the turn around times

I will write a complete report once I install the latest tune tonight and have some more driving time to test, probably by Saturday.

Anyway, send Andrew a direct email, maybe they are too busy to monitor the forum.

So far, I am loving it, strong pull and so linear
How's the throttle response? That's what I'm most interested in. Also, do you have a 6MT?
      07-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #121
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

You guys can always go through me for AA products also!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #122
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@PSI
You guys can always go through me for AA products also!
You sell the Simon tool and everything?
      07-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #123
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You sell the Simon tool and everything?
Yes sir!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #124
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How's the throttle response? That's what I'm most interested in. Also, do you have a 6MT?
Throttle responds is so much better, pretty much instantly but I do have the auto. ()

AA lists the simon tool for 350.- and the tune for 499.-. I called Andrew at AA and got both for 750.-
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #125
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Im here guys! We are extremely busy in the shop these days but ill be sure to check by here more often.

check the faq at our official tune thead. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634855

Please pm or any of our vendors if you have any direct questions

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 07-18-2012 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #126
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post
Throttle responds is so much better, pretty much instantly but I do have the auto. ()

AA lists the simon tool for 350.- and the tune for 499.-. I called Andrew at AA and got both for 750.-

Seems we got it dialed in just to your liking
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #127
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post

So how does it work with the Simon tool - I understand that the Simon pulls a copy of the stock file off of the ECU, but then do you need special software to pull the file from the Simon to your computer so that you can email it to Active? Or does the computer just read the Simon like a USB drive or something? I don't have any Windows computers so I'm thinking the Simon tool might be a no-go for ma anyway.

The other option is to drive down to to Houston (~3 hours) to have one of Active's dealers load the tune. I'm not sure what that would cost, but I really like the idea of being able to do it myself and having the tune handy in case I need it again. I wonder if there's any advantage to having a shop do it? Like if they do a custom dyno tune or something?

Maybe Andrew can comment on this? Thanks.
      07-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #128
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up AA tune 128i

So, had some time today to cruise around with my newly installed AA tune.

First of all let me say, Andrew and their programmer Zak deserve a lot of credit. The tune is absolutely worth the 399.- I got it for, and if anyone thinks about it, it transforms the car into what it should have been in the first place. But I would not hesitate to get it for the normal price of 499.-

Having the Simon tool was a big saver, time that is and not money obviously ,having it allowed me and Zak to fine tune the AA tune to my liking, which turns out to be perfect and more than I was hoping for. In all I received 3 different tunes, with the last one being exactly as I had envision it.

The first one was good in the mid and upper range but I had some bog down issue when going from a stand still, before it accelerated.

Second one took care of it, but I felt I still had some throttle delay and responsiveness, just like with the OEM version.

Zak offered me to do some work on the throttle if I like, and when I got the the new tune today, woah....spot on. Throttle is pretty much instantaneously, the power band is absolut linear, without any dips between 2.5k and all the way to 6k+. Just when you think it should slowly come to an end, it just keeps going, not just in 2nd or 3rd, but in the 4th and 5th gear. I especially feel a big difference in 4th, a gear I never used much before, but the tune makes it so much usable. Being in 4th at 40mph and pushing the throttle, will make the car move, much more than I ever had experienced before, so much fun.

Now, of course all of this is based on my butt dyno and not very scientific, but that's what counts for me the most, the way it feels to me.....and for me there is no comparison to the OEM tune.

Now I'm even more convinced on my two decisions, to get the 128 instead of the 135, and to get the AA tune. Don't get me wrong, it is not cheap (if getting the simon tool) but worth every penny.

Lastly, not sure really why, but the sound of intake and exhaust change to the better. The intake has a little growl to it, not like my previous afe CAI, but very nice.

Quick overview:

Throttle delay is almost non existing, in D, DS as well as in manual mode.

Power and torque is absolutely increased, if my butt would guess, the 15hp to 20hp is correct, I would even think it's more towards the 20hp range.

However, I booked a dyno session in the first week of August where I will switch back to stock and than a run after putting the tune back. (Thanks for the Simon tool).

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions, in the meantime I will go and play with my "new" car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #129
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So how does it work with the Simon tool - I understand that the Simon pulls a copy of the stock file off of the ECU, but then do you need special software to pull the file from the Simon to your computer so that you can email it to Active? Or does the computer just read the Simon like a USB drive or something? I don't have any Windows computers so I'm thinking the Simon tool might be a no-go for ma anyway.

The other option is to drive down to to Houston (~3 hours) to have one of Active's dealers load the tune. I'm not sure what that would cost, but I really like the idea of being able to do it myself and having the tune handy in case I need it again. I wonder if there's any advantage to having a shop do it? Like if they do a custom dyno tune or something?

Maybe Andrew can comment on this? Thanks.
Correct, you need to connect the simon tool to you car , it will give you all instructions on the display, like turning on ignition and so on, very easy and straight forward. You than need to connect it to a Windows based PC, start the installed SW and transfer the data to your PC, to be emailed to the guys from AA. COuple hours later you get a new tune, load it onto the tool and bring it back into your ECU.

I am a MAC user myself but had an old windows XP laptop laying around, if not just ask a buddy, I'm sure somebody has a window machine, the SW is very small and quickly installed.

Not having to ship the ECU or drive to a dealer is, at least for me, well worth the money spend. And if the dealer installes a new ECU update, I can simply get the tune back in.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #130
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^ Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can borrow someone's laptop or something...
      07-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #131
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Im a mac guy myself I just ended up using boot camp and an old windows version.

The noise difference you hear is the adjusted valvetronic map profiles. Just think vtech
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #132
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Im a mac guy myself I just ended up using boot camp and an old windows version.

The noise difference you hear is the adjusted valvetronic map profiles. Just think vtech
You don't need to use a laptop hooked up to the car or anything? If not, I've got a Windows emulator on my desktop that would probably do the trick.