E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Major Problem they want to replace my engine--Help!!

11-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #67
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around, will the forest ever really be the same?
No it won't be the same, Frank fell down last Tuesday and he hasn't stopped bitching about it since!

Lol sorry Family Guy moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #68
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Replacing the engine is practically not a complicated job based on I had been watching a good friend of mine owned a repair shop who always been disassembling old MB/BMW engines for good cleansing. It is definitely not a nice thing happening to an expensive brand new car but technically speaking, if the car feels as normal as when it was new after fixing; then there can be less to worry. Ideally, BMW should give you a new car to impress the public about their reputation towards quality customer service or else at least they have to extend your warranty for 2 more years and give you $10000 service/gas coupons to apologise their error in QC ( as I thought all engines were under going a very intensive stress test before they were QC ok )
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #69
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Two days after buying my E90 I went to Amoeba to pick up some CDs. I then found out my CD player didn't work. BMW of Beverly Hills had to switch the whole unit out for a new one. My radio HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME. The new one works.

Hope your new engine works as well, and stop worrying.
      11-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #70
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
Now which one do you think sound "warmer"?
I looked at it the other way just right now, and realized something.
Conclusion I came down to,

1. Its quite pathetic how we are arguing front of this guy who needs an engine placement. Sorry for starting such arguement.

2. Each person has different perspectives. You look at it this way, that way seems to be wrong. You look at it that way, this way seems to be wrong. I only looked at one way. Thank you for showing me that.

Remember my post was referring to the "few". probably knows who they are. And the picture in page 2? Yeah, If I had to get my engine replaced and someone posted that up, I will be real happy and feel warm.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:23 PM   #71
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
I looked at it the other way just right now, and realized something.
Conclusion I came down to,

1. Its quite pathetic how we are arguing front of this guy who needs an engine placement. Sorry for starting such arguement.

2. Each person has different perspectives. You look at it this way, that way seems to be wrong. You look at it that way, this way seems to be wrong. I only looked at one way. Thank you for showing me that.

Remember my post was referring to the "few". probably knows who they are. And the picture in page 2? Yeah, If I had to get my engine replaced and someone posted that up, I will be real happy and feel warm.
Yeah Lux I knew what you were talking about, that example just came into my head and it was too good to not put it down.

Besides trying to help him out, this has been a good discussion.

Last edited by Xens; 11-02-2005 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #72
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
In my early 20s, I guess you can say I am still young and dumb.
I am not stuck-minded though, always open to listen. thank you xens, ledzep.

btw, sting, hang in there man.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:49 PM   #73
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
In my early 20s, I guess you can say I am still young and dumb.
I am not stuck-minded though, always open to listen. thank you xens, ledzep.

btw, sting, hang in there man.
I'm in my early 20s too. It's not dumb you made very good points in your posts.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #74
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Now lets all hold hands and sing camp songs.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #75
sting0923
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i Ti Silvr 6spd

Thanks to everyone for their opinions both good and bad....I really appreciate it and I've learned some good advice from a few of you. I spoke with the Service Director and basically it boils down to base on the BMW warranty..I have to settle for the new engine replacement. They have isolated the problem... the noise was coming from the lower part of the engine and can be heard when you rev between 3000-3200 rpms on all gears. They removed the oil pan area to inspect and take pictures of the Rod bearings which was sent to Field Service Engineer--he then recommended an engine replacement. The major cause of the problem is "Rod bearing clearance ". Rather than tearing the engine apart, it is easier to replace the whole engine which would provide less worries for both parties. I told him that if I let them replace the engine and this happens again--I want my car replaced--but he would not commit that to writing. He assures me that this has happened b4 and that they had no repeat engine problems due to these rod bearings because the new engines are already fixed at the factory. So to everyone reading this-- check out your engines and see if you can hear a slight vibrating engine noise whenever you accelerate and take in to the shop before it can cause some other damaged or an accident. For my aggravation I requested a free alarm & installation ($900)...which is kind of nice since that's really the only thing i'm missing on my car---I already bought the extended warranty to 6yrs or 100,000 miles when i got the car. They are nice people at Crevier and I am glad that they really do try to accomodate their customers needs. This is my first time in this situation, i've never had that problem on my G35 or my Escalade, and I never expected it to happen to a BMW out of all my cars....after I've finally calmed down, I realize that this might be a blessing in disguise---who knows --just like LedZep says--things could be worse--life goes on and we need to move on. By the way for those of you asking about the recall--it was to re-program or update the DME.

Lux,Xens,BmwLawman,CNTlaw,Fredtoo,E90driver.... you guys are way too kool ...thanks for all your input. KevinC--don't you ever post that ugly picture again!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #76
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0923
Thanks to everyone for their opinions both good and bad....I really appreciate it and I've learned some good advice from a few of you. I spoke with the Service Director and basically it boils down to base on the BMW warranty..I have to settle for the new engine replacement. They have isolated the problem... the noise was coming from the lower part of the engine and can be heard when you rev between 3000-3200 rpms on all gears. They removed the oil pan area to inspect and take pictures of the Rod bearings which was sent to Field Service Engineer--he then recommended an engine replacement. The major cause of the problem is "Rod bearing clearance ". Rather than tearing the engine apart, it is easier to replace the whole engine which would provide less worries for both parties. I told him that if I let them replace the engine and this happens again--I want my car replaced--but he would not commit that to writing. He assures me that this has happened b4 and that they had no repeat engine problems due to these rod bearings because the new engines are already fixed at the factory. So to everyone reading this-- check out your engines and see if you can hear a slight vibrating engine noise whenever you accelerate and take in to the shop before it can cause some other damaged or an accident. For my aggravation I requested a free alarm & installation ($900)...which is kind of nice since that's really the only thing i'm missing on my car---I already bought the extended warranty to 6yrs or 100,000 miles when i got the car. They are nice people at Crevier and I am glad that they really do try to accomodate their customers needs. This is my first time in this situation, i've never had that problem on my G35 or my Escalade, and I never expected it to happen to a BMW out of all my cars....after I've finally calmed down, I realize that this might be a blessing in disguise---who knows --just like LedZep says--things could be worse--life goes on and we need to move on. By the way for those of you asking about the recall--it was to re-program or update the DME.

Lux,Xens,BmwLawman,CNTlaw,Fredtoo,E90driver.... you guys are way too kool ...thanks for all your input. KevinC--don't you ever post that ugly picture again!
You are welcome Sting, and welcome to the community! I'm happy to hear that they were able to explain the details and procedures of the problem to you, it shows that they've really looked into it before deciding an engine transplant is the best solution to this problem. Don't worry, you'll have your baby back soon!

Remember to share pics with us when you get her back.

EDIT: BTW Sting, what kind of "bearing noise" were you hearing in your case? Can you further describe it? Thanks.

Last edited by Xens; 11-02-2005 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #77
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
get your money back. go to another dealership and talk them down in price. :-D
      11-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #78
MTMnet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E24
Take the new engine and run. Crevier has an outstanding reputation. They should treat you right. Now, if you get in an accident, even a fender bender, I agree - the car will never be the same. Been there and done that. Every time you look at the car you know it's not right. This is mechanical and not cosmetic. While annoying - should be a non-issue in the long run.
I agree.
Mike
      11-03-2005, 06:15 AM   #79
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie
get your money back. go to another dealership and talk them down in price. :-D

I also vote for getting a full refund from the dealer.
How long will it take to get this replacement done?
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 06:33 AM   #80
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:

Loose rod bearings are a bad thing!.
While it is possible they were not sized right from the factory, it is more common that they are a symptom of a problem with the oiling system.
Replacing the motor is the best way to solve this problem.

Their other option would be to take the motor apart, try to figure out what went wrong. Replace the rods, crank, bearings, oil pump etc, and then hope they did not miss anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #81
zdognaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i electric red

New engines are grrrreat!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #82
jkwakopo
2006 325i SV
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Silver

get a new car man... it will never be the same
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #83
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

I'd contact a lawyer too. Nothing scares the shit out of money-people more than getting a call from a lawyer.
      11-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #84
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, M4

Quote:
For my aggravation I requested a free alarm & installation ($900)...which is kind of nice since that's really the only thing i'm missing on my car---
This is almost triple price for the alarm and installation...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #85
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
And you mentioned something about a recall? What's that all about?
Not a recall but service campaign, on the next service visit of cars affected they update the software. Has to due with OBD issues, nothing major, thus not a recall.

To the original poster.... engine replacement is not a big deal, like E90FLEET said it is plug and play. They have the right to fix the car to normal operating conditions. Also, just note that if this occured prior to delivery they would not even need to state the engine was replaced as it is a completely new bolt on item, same if a bumper was damaged. If it is something that is being repaired, and is greater than 5% of the vlaue they would need to disclose that.... ie crushed roof. So how many engines are replaced before anyone even knows it??? The real issue is that BMW is messing with opposing metals in this engine, and that has never been done before... I am still very skeptical of the longevity of this system... only time will tell!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #86
E24
DUBYA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I - 6MT

I had a lengthy reply that probably would have pissed off most on this board. So - long story short - take the new motor and deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #87
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E24
I had a lengthy reply that probably would have pissed off most on this board. So - long story short - take the new motor and deal.
Should've posted it, if it could have pissed off any people at all, then it'd surely be a good read no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #88
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

I would take the new engine and be happy that the dealer acted responsibly.
Appreciate 0