BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
z00mantwo
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport Coupe

Remote Start for push button start manuals

I'm looking at setting up a remote start for my 128i manual transmission. All the local security installers say they can't do it for a manual. Here's what I've figured out so far.

Base Required Items
- Fortin INT-BMW2 $150.00 Handles Push to Start Interface and Manual Trans
http://fortin.ca/en/products/alpha-series/int-bmw2/
- Fortin EVO-ALL $60.00 Handles body interface and Key FOB security
http://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-series/evo-all/
- Key Fob for security override $240.00 Obtain from local BMW dealer
------------------
$450.00

Option 1) 2-Way Remote start. 1 mile range. Have to carry two remotes.
- Remote Control Unit Estimate $170.00 Compustar 2W9000FM-AS, 1-mile range, 2-way
Will have to mount antenna in window.
- Base Required Items $450.00
------------------
$620.00

Option 2) Smart Phone is remote start 2-Way. Requires yearly subscription. $50/year.
- Cheap basic remote start $60.00 Compustar CS800-S????? Will not use remotes or antenna
- Smart phone Remote control unit. $150.00 Compustar Drone.
- Base Required Items $450.00
------------------
$600.00

The links above have links to the installation manuals that give more details on installing.

So what are the thoughts? Am I headed the right direction or is there a better way.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
z00mantwo
Rep

Okay did more research. Compustar CS800-S won't work. Need a cheap remote start unit with a "data-link" port. Compustar CS800-S doesn't have one. Back to searching.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
z00mantwo
Rep

Okay looks like the right unit is the Compustar FT7200S Controller. Just get the controller. No remotes or antennas. Has fortin data link port and port for drone smart phone module. On eBay for around $60. Also has turbo timer for 135i installs.

Looks like this setup will mean 9 hard wires to connect. That's actually pretty low for a remote start/Alarm system. Everything else is plug in connectors. I'm trying to keep this as clean as possible and easy to remove.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
z00mantwo
Rep

Does anyone know a source for the BMW shop manual? Want to take a look at the brake and hand brake wiring.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
z00mantwo
Rep

I think I'm going to head to the smart phone way. Unlimited range and not carrying another remote plus no antenna on the car appeals to me. Only $416 for parts and first years subscription seems pretty good.

Here's the revised parts and cost lists.

Base Required Items
Fortin INT-BMW2 $150.00 Handles Push to Start Interface and Manual Trans http://fortin.ca/en/products/alpha-series/int-bmw2/
Fortin EVO-ALL $60.00 Handles body interface and Key FOB security http://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-series/evo-all/
Mini Add on Dual Circuit Adapter $6.00 eBay, auto parts store
------------------
$216.00

Option 1) 2-Way Remote start. 1 mile range. Have to carry two remotes. BMW Key FOB plus remote start
Remote Control Unit Estimate $170.00 Compustar 2W9000FM-AS, 1-mile range, 2-way Will have to mount antenna in window.
Base Required Items $216.00
------------------
$386.00

Option 2) Smart Phone is remote start 2-Way. Requires yearly subscription. $50/year.
Cheap basic remote start $60.00 Compustar FT7200S Controller. Just the controller. No remotes or antenna needed
Smart phone Remote control unit. $150.00 Compustar Drone smartphone module http://www.compustar.com/drone/index.php
First year's drone subscription $50.00
Base Required Items $216.00
------------------
$416.00

Need key FOB to put behind dash.
Key Fob for security override $240.00 Obtain from local BMW dealer
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
z00mantwo
Rep

With the add a circuit jumper down to 8 wires to connect. Everything else is plugs.

1 ground wire.
2 wires to CAN bus behind lower dash, drivers side.
4 wires to switch on clutch pedal.
1 wire to switch on brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

You realize you've been posting and updating for yourself right?

I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm starting to research what I need for Remote start for my DCT which should be easier, but I have no experience with this type of stuff whatsoever. If you happen to come across something useful for my application would you be willing to share?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 2
jaye9441007.00
      11-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Why would you remote start a manual? The reason why people don't do it (and it is ILLEGAL to do so) is that if you're in gear and you start it you'll jump the car possibly into another car, or worse.

As well, you need to disengage the clutch sensor that is the trigger to if you can start the engine (aka your clutch needs to be past a certain point to start). This will also mess up your cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
z00mantwo
Rep

It's not illegal in any state. Checked on that with highway patrol several years ago.

Look at the manual for the Fortin INT-BMW2 on page 7. It's explains what's necessary for the remote start to be activated with a manual. Makes it very safe. I've had two manual cars I've done this to in the past. Never had one move when remote starting. Clutch is wired to allow bypass when remote starting only. Rest of the time it works just the same. Cruise control on both my other cars worked perfect, include clutch disengagement, expecting the same here.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
z00mantwo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm starting to research what I need for Remote start for my DCT which should be easier, but I have no experience with this type of stuff whatsoever. If you happen to come across something useful for my application would you be willing to share?

Thank you in advance
Everything I'm doing here should apply to a BMW DCT automatic transmission. Take a look at the Fortin INT-BMW2 manual. There are two wiring setups. One for manual trans and one for automatic transmission. It will be easier for you. There will only be 4 wires to hook up.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
This is such a horrible idea. Please don't park behind me.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      11-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
z00mantwo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
This is such a horrible idea. Please don't park behind me.
Maybe you should read about how it works. It's actually very safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00mantwo View Post
Maybe you should read about how it works. It's actually very safe.
As a BMW technician, I know that there are no gear position sensors. So that one time you leave the thing in gear...boom. Insurance claim.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
z00mantwo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
As a BMW technician, I know that there are no gear position sensors. So that one time you leave the thing in gear...boom. Insurance claim.
Okay. Don't read about how it works. Assume no one is smarter then you and could have figured out how to do it safely. But just maybe reading up a little on it might mean you learn something interesting. Never know.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Okay. Don't read about how it works. Assume no one is smarter then you and could have figured out how to do it safely. But just maybe reading up a little on it might mean you learn something interesting. Never know.
I did read up on it. Still a horrible idea.
135is #502 of 586
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Everything I'm doing here should apply to a BMW DCT automatic transmission. Take a look at the Fortin INT-BMW2 manual. There are two wiring setups. One for manual trans and one for automatic transmission. It will be easier for you. There will only be 4 wires to hook up.
With an DCT or Auto gear box you need to step on the brake pedal in order to start the car. So you will need to defeat that safety feature. I agree with the others... this is an accident waiting to happen with a manual trans.

I must admit I really do not know why having a remote starter appeals to people. I like what the Germans do... They have something called: Standheizung

Standheizung is basically a separate(aux) heating system for your car. You can program the "heater" to turn on before you need to drive your car. Most Germans park their cars on the street, so a warm car will melt the snow and ice off the car BEFORE you need to drive away! You can also control this heater with your cell phone app. This aux heater uses very little fuel(important when fuel costs ~$9 per gallon). Standheizung normally costs around 1,200 euros installed for most car models.

Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      11-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
z00mantwo
Rep

Okay guys here's how it works.

Drive car.
Park.
Pull emergency break.
Place manual in neutral.
Feet off clutch, brake, and gas.
Take key out. Car will keep running if above has been done. Otherwise it acts just like normal, shuts off and remote start is disabled.
Open door and get out.
Shut door.
Car will lock when last door is closed.
System checks for:
- Hand brake on.
- Clutch is up.
- Brake is not pressed.
- Minimum RPM with gas pedal up.
- Speed of zero MPH.
- Windows and sun roof are closed.
- All doors, trunk, etc are closed and locked.
This takes less than a second to happen.
Car shuts off.
Remote start is now enabled and indicated by special beep and parking light flash if you want.

Open any door, trunk or set off any of the alarms and remote start is disabled. Even unlocking without opening anything and then re-locking it will disable the remote start. There are probably other things it checks for too that I can't remember.

Newer Compustar units also have a motion sensor that if the car moves more than a half inch in any direction when starting it's immediately shut off. I've had two cars with the older style remote starts without the motion detector and never had a car move. It always locked me out from remote starting whenever I didn't do something right and that did happen a couple of times. The 2-way remotes even tell you why they won't remote start if something is not right.

Now as too why. Think about getting in a cold car at -10 degrees. Probably -20 or -30 with wind chill. If you have never done that you really cant say anything. Belive me its bad. It's also bad for the motor to just start and go at that point without the fluids being warmed up. You should let it warm up at least a little bit before driving. This can be especially important if your talking about a performance motor with a turbo(s). It gets worse if your in some parts of Canada. There the oil can literally freeze solid in the engine block. Start it then and your looking at a new motor. This can happen in just a few hours of the car sitting. Part of what the remote starts also add is a temperature sensor that you can set so it will auto start when the temp drops below a set temp. It will then run for a set amount of time, like 15 minutes, and then shut off. Even if you have a block heater this can be a life saver if you go somewhere that you can't plug in the block heater or you just end up staying longer than you intended and didn't plug the block heater in.

So there you have it. A safe way to remote start a manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
spinnakerflying
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i, 2010 135i

How does the system know that you didn't accidentally leave the transmission in gear when you get out? It seems like leaving the car in gear accidentally could cause the car to lurch forward when remote started. That could be tempered with the emergency brake, but even then you'd probably damage the starter motor. I agree, however, that if the driver never makes a mistake, that it could work well.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
z00mantwo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsbored View Post
How does the system know that you didn't accidentally leave the transmission in gear when you get out? It seems like leaving the car in gear accidentally could cause the car to lurch forward when remote started. That could be tempered with the emergency brake, but even then you'd probably damage the starter motor. I agree, however, that if the driver never makes a mistake, that it could work well.
Well you got out of the car with it running and it checks for the mph from the ODBII port. There is also the motion detector in the newer models. You would also notice it moving away from you as you stepped out. Plus it will immediate shut off if there's any movement and the remote start will be disabled at that point. Re-read the order things have to happen and the checks. They will prevent the operator from making a mistake otherwise remote start is disabled automatically. The order you have to do things prevents you from leaving it in gear otherwise remote start is automatically disabled.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #20
eric135
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E82 135I

Quote:
With the add a circuit jumper down to 8 wires to connect. Everything else is plugs.

1 ground wire.
2 wires to CAN bus behind lower dash, drivers side.
4 wires to switch on clutch pedal.
1 wire to switch on brake pedal.
Just wondering what about the wires from the FT7200s I know the power wires are needed but did you use any others?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #21
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
LOLZ beat me 2 it
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

so wife's caravan has remote start... BUT, it's OEM, so not a cut and shut job. So it's safe.
I like it.. so here's how mine works

"hit a button 2, car horn beeps, car starts. car is locked, go to car unlock the car
get in put the key in the ignition turn to start position, then go"

A lot of thought goes into it.

HACKING a rem.start into any car , is a crap shoot, depending on state, most places 99.95% of places I know deem the following to be illegal

1> To leave a car unattended and running

Especially a manual.. NOT a good idea.
long time ago Clifford has auto-starters in the UK, if you frigged it to a manual, it would void the w'tee
in fact 99.99% of installers would NOT install to a manual

Also leaving a car running on idle is not the best of things to do and doesnt warm it up as good as driving it straight, in fact most manuals say to do just that.

mind you that said, the rem.start on the caravan is great & gimmicky

But having read a LOT on line I would NO WAY aftermarket a rem.start on my BM

IMMHO - BAD IDEA
Appreciate 0