BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
MIKE28i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Unhappy Curb Rash Repair Options

This is a horrible first post but after lurking for a while, I finally need some insight.

Walked out to my '11 128i (Black Sapphire Metallic) this morning and was greeted with this:

Seems like some decent curb rash which I don't recall happening. GF drives the car occasionally, our parking area is VERY tight, I valet it from time to time, park it on the street occasionally. I don't know how/when it happened, but I cleaned it up as much as I could and am now left with what you see above.

Now, I've searched the boards and have concluded that I pretty much have three options:
  • The rash is low enough that I can get some touch up paint to fill it in, take a deep breath, and come to terms with the fact that she's scarred for life.
  • Take it to a body shop in LA and pay to get a respray
  • Pick up a new bumper

My question is...does anyone know some good body shops in LA to get a quote from? Or...would you touch it up and just leave it? I appreciate any opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Good body shop and around $400 and it will look brand new. No need for a new one. You think you can learn to live with that? Forget the touch up paint, it will look worse than it does now
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Your other option would be to have it airbrushed, provided you can find a good service. I've had hit or miss luck with those guys. Of note too, even a quality air brusher won't be able to perfectly match the factory metal flake in BSM, but the same is true of a body shop repainting the bumper.

Do not, under any circumstance assume that you can make that better with touch up paint. As stated, there's no need for a new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
MIKE28i
Registered
United_States
Rep

I figured there was no need for a new bumper unless it wound up costing less than the respray.

I don't think I could learn to live with it...but you never know. It's bound to happen again. Had some rash above my rear passenger wheel that I was able to buff out a couple weeks ago.

Looks like I'll be making some calls to get it fixed. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

That needs a trip to a body shop. Try a few of them. Maybe you might get a good price to have it filled/sanded/sprayed. In the spot it is, they don't have to do much taping off so you might be able to get a decent fix for not too much $$$. Worth a try.
Trying to paint it yourself would be a waste of time and money. That one looks like it needs some professional intervention!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

If you want to do it yourself -

Sand the damage with wet/dry sandpaper - start with 400 then work up to 1500 grit. You may need a little finishing putty as well. Lightly prime it with primer. Then use a can of BMW Touch up paint in the right paint code. Mask the area off and don't overspray - a few light coats is best. Then cut polish it in. It won't be perfect, however it is down low and won't be that noticeable (except by you since you know it is there and it will always catch your eye).

This repair will cost less than $75, and will take a few hours over a weekend, allowing for drying and curing time.

The other option is to have it done at a shop.

Wurth Sandpaper - 400/600/1000/1500 Grit •Wet / Dry Silicon Carbide Waterproof Sandpaper
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
MIKE28i
Registered
United_States
Rep

I'm conflicted now. It is in a space that's low enough for me to do it myself and not notice it as much. But...it's less than a year old and I don't want to mess it up anymore than it already is.

I think I'm just gonna ride with it like that for a while until I find a shop to re-do it. Anyone have some suggestions in SoCal?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Hey Mike,

I'm an Angeleno too!!
Anyway, I would not get a new bumper for that scratch. Scratches are not really noticeable by people except the driver. So no option #3.
I think option #1 might be the best. Go to your dealer and pick up a touch up paint and just paint it with the back of a toothpick, not with the brush that comes with the touch up paint. (it might take a while but trust me, you don't want to paint with the brush, because you'll make a giant mess with brush stroke marks and stuff; it's up to you, I'm no expert)
You can either order the touch up paint from BMWUSA.com or go to your dealer.
(I go to South Bay BMW for services, but I bought my touch up paint at Shelley BMW)
I forget how much I paid for it but I think it was like $40.
After that, if you are not satisfied with the result like if you mess it up even more, then take your car to "The M Shop" in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, CA.
It's considered the best BMW/Mini shop in Los Angeles area along with "MiniWorx"

The M Shop http://www.themshop.com/
MiniWorx http://www.miniworx.com/

Good luck!!

(Edit: I just checked and I paid $32.64 for the touch up paint at Shelley BMW. I went to my preferred dealer (SB BMW) but it was like $45 so I got it at Shelley BMW instead. Don't ever go to Shelley BMW for service though. South Bay BMW is the best service dealer in my opinion)

Last edited by sonicbimmer19; 10-02-2011 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
jimmy1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i sedona Red

maybe time for m-sport or performance bumper?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

I have found that the Touch up paint you buy at the dealer, even WITH THE RIGHT CODE, does not really match well at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
I have found that the Touch up paint you buy at the dealer, even WITH THE RIGHT CODE, does not really match well at all.
This may be true, but since it is down low and on a corner where light reflects a little differently, you might get away with it for everyday use. Higher up on a flat part of the car where the light reflects in the same plane, not so much. The trick in in the preparation, and spraying not too much on so it will run.

It really depends on how much the OP has to spend on it, and how much it will bother him on a daily basis. If you take your time with this, it shouldn`t look that bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
MIKE28i
Registered
United_States
Rep

sonicbimmer19: Thanks for all the info. Just moved here from Chicago not too long ago so I still don't know what dealers to avoid. Thanks for the heads up.

With everyone's input, I think I can pull off the touch up on my own. Like what has been said a few times: it's pretty low so even if the metallic touchup paint doesn't match, light won't catch it that much to notice. Though, it will definitely stand out to me like an eyesore.

The cost to fix it doesn't really matter to me. If I have to pay $3-400 to get the bumper repainted, then that's what I have to do. But, I figure I can try to pull it off myself and if I make it worse...just take it in and get it done.
Appreciate 0