BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
NJCrue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Can a dealer NOT refund your deposit??

So heres the story. I went into a dealership, i loved the 128i but they only had one in red, and i only wanted black or white with black interior, auto, and power heated seats. The salesman told me they had a black one coming in just like that, gonna be 4-6 weeks. So i put 1000.00 deposit on my credit card and signed away. Now i changed my mind, and told the dealer that I ran into a personal problem that swamped me financially, which is unfortunately what happened. So he said he doesnt know what to say, and hed refund my deposit. He told me to fax the credit card transaction receipt to him, but he has MY signed copy of that reciept why would he need a copy of the duplicate he gave me. AND i faxed it over and he said no no no, wrong fax number, (this was his fax number on his business card) , then he said "you need to fax it to this difff fax number". So i faxed it over and clearly made a note for him to call me when the card was refunded. No word back from him. Im going to call tomorow, but the question is, am i getting the run around? They were supposedly getting this car in anyway, and it was gonna be weeks before it was delivered also. I better not be gettin screwed. A friend of mine who is a car dealer said BY LAW, they cannot hold your deposit UNLESS you take delivery of the car, so who knows. Any input??
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
aitsu
Mmmmm.. torque....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCrue View Post
So heres the story. I went into a dealership, i loved the 128i but they only had one in red, and i only wanted black or white with black interior, auto, and power heated seats. The salesman told me they had a black one coming in just like that, gonna be 4-6 weeks. So i put 1000.00 deposit on my credit card and signed away. Now i changed my mind, and told the dealer that I ran into a personal problem that swamped me financially, which is unfortunately what happened. So he said he doesnt know what to say, and hed refund my deposit. He told me to fax the credit card transaction receipt to him, but he has MY signed copy of that reciept why would he need a copy of the duplicate he gave me. AND i faxed it over and he said no no no, wrong fax number, (this was his fax number on his business card) , then he said "you need to fax it to this difff fax number". So i faxed it over and clearly made a note for him to call me when the card was refunded. No word back from him. Im going to call tomorow, but the question is, am i getting the run around? They were supposedly getting this car in anyway, and it was gonna be weeks before it was delivered also. I better not be gettin screwed. A friend of mine who is a car dealer said BY LAW, they cannot hold your deposit UNLESS you take delivery of the car, so who knows. Any input??
If you don't hear from them, call them.
If you have trouble, just call your CC company and have them dispute it.
You'll get your money back.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCrue View Post
I don't know the laws on this in other states but I am also in NJ and in NJ they have to return your deposit unless you take delivery of the car. When I ordered my 135 in early March the sales guy told me the deposit was non refundable but then told me he is told to say that but under the law it is refundable and I cld get it back no problem. Go get your deposit back asap

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

By the way... what dealer is this in NJ?

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Jackdaws
Private
Rep
Drives:

It's refundable because you haven't even seen this new model car. Plus, they are not prejudiced by your refund because they'll sell car to the next guy walking on the lot, anyway. Contact dealer manager, then owner, then lawyer. You'll definitely get your money back. My Florida dealer told me deposits are always refundable on new model cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
NJCrue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all the info ... i have to call him tomorow, for all i know he may have credited it already, just not sure bc he didnt call like i asked him to. Its funny how great of guys salesmen are, then when god forbid something unfortunate happens to you they turn into a tottally diff person. i went in there to talk to him about it and he was just a different guy. I mean what do you want me to do ya know, sh!t happens...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
BMWBLOG.COM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

All the deposits are definitely refundable. You'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
If you have trouble, just call your CC company and have them dispute it.
I would suggest doing this now, as you're already having trouble and it's not worth increasing your blood pressure any further.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
imported_Hank Freid
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I don't know the laws on this in other states but I am also in NJ and in NJ they have to return your deposit unless you take delivery of the car.
I also dont know the rules and regulations in other states. But i am trying to get more and more information about states lying in USA. Have you any link that is so much informative to quench my thirst
      10-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
cobra
Rep
Drives:

I custom ordered a 128i in August. I also put down a $1K 'deposit'

I talked with my dealer, and he said that deposits are refundable. However, when you custom order a car, the money you put down is not a deposit.. it is a custom order amount put towards the car. And this is not refundable.

Anyone have an experience with this? or know what this is about?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra View Post
I custom ordered a 128i in August. I also put down a $1K 'deposit'

I talked with my dealer, and he said that deposits are refundable. However, when you custom order a car, the money you put down is not a deposit.. it is a custom order amount put towards the car. And this is not refundable.

Anyone have an experience with this? or know what this is about?

depends on the state...but I say this is BS in most cases...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
amurph182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra View Post
um...isn't that exactly what a deposit is? Money you put down ahead of delivery to show that you're acting in good faith, and that will be applied to the purchase price of the car?
Appreciate 0