BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
As Offtopic as it gets: Ship Kinder Surprise Eggs to the US?

Hi folks!

I wanted to return a favour to someone in the US, and she asked me wether I could send her a bunch of Kinder Surprise Eggs, as they're apparently not on sale in the US. I was about to say "yeah sure, no problem", until I looked up why they're not available. Apparently the FDA dislikes the concept of stuff hidden in food and thinks its dangerous and decided to ban them. And not just from sale, but importing them seems also prohibited and can result in a fine that apparently can reach 4-digit figures.

Anyone has the slightest clue wether that is enforced when I send them as a private person to another one marked as gift or something? And if yes, do you guys got ways to ship stuff like that through the military?

I'm thankful for any kind of input on this!

-Thomas

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Kinder Eier (eggs) are banned, shipping thru the Military Postal System(MPS). I would not ship them, you could also loose your privileges plus have to pay a huge fine.

The story I heard, was that some dependent from Graf shipped some eggs to the states, and a child choked on them - now they are banned. I guess you could ask the people at a German post office. Maybe they know more. I will say that back a few years ago (6 years or so) I would mail these Kinder Eggs to my family back in the states. Nine times out of ten the US Customs people would open my "eggs" and open the "little surprise" toys. And since you know if you have put the toys together like a puzzle... all the bits were mixed up! It was a real disaster!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Great.. seems basically impossible.. well I am kinda glad I did not take some with me to Texas 3 weeks ago, might have ruined my trip on day 1 .

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas View Post
Great.. seems basically impossible.. well I am kinda glad I did not take some with me to Texas 3 weeks ago, might have ruined my trip on day 1 .

Did you shoot any guns while you were in TX ?

A few years back... a co-worker mailed some "Maggi" mix thru the MPS... the US customs got to it before it left Germany. Since it had some "meat products" inside the Maggi mix... he had to pay a huge fine and had not postal privileges for a while. He learned his lesson. Ironically he now works for the Post Office!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Did you shoot any guns while you were in TX ?
Well, I went to Texas. Of course! Not a lot, but at least a decent selection for someone who never had a gun in his hand before .

I shot:
- Glock 17
- Glock 19
- Glock 30
- HK P7
- Ruger 10/22 Takedown
- AR15 5.56
- Winchester .30-30
- Keltec Sub2000 .40

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to try the AR10 that was on the table for a moment . But boy that thing was noisy

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Next time comon down to the "Hall Ranch". Papa Hall (AKA Tex at Meilen Werk meet) is a life member of the NRA and the former Texas Rangers Association can triple your numbers & then stuff you with BBQ & a tall cool glass of sweet tea with lime wedge.

If you tried to enter the U.S with kinder eggs & if you were caught they would most likely be confiscated.
      11-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, I went to Texas. Of course! Not a lot, but at least a decent selection for someone who never had a gun in his hand before .

I shot:
- Glock 17
- Glock 19
- Glock 30
- HK P7
- Ruger 10/22 Takedown
- AR15 5.56
- Winchester .30-30
- Keltec Sub2000 .40

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to try the AR10 that was on the table for a moment . But boy that thing was noisy
I think the question would better be.......

What did you NOT shoot while you were in Texas?
      11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well, the AR10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
Next time comon down to the "Hall Ranch". Papa Hall (AKA Tex at Meilen Werk meet) is a life member of the NRA and the former Texas Rangers Association can triple your numbers & then stuff you with BBQ & a tall cool glass of sweet tea with lime wedge.

If you tried to enter the U.S with kinder eggs & if you were caught they would most likely be confiscated.
Yeah I definately want to go back to Texas ASAP. I really liked it there, so far my favourite place in the US . This time I was limited by money and vacation time to only 9 days (14th-22nd) which I spent almost exclusively with the people I know there at H2R in San Marcos . One day I did a short trip to Fredericksburg, but that was kinda disappointing, because just touri-crap. But I found the cemetary which was literally 90% german (unlike the rest of the town), which again was very interesting to see . Also got BBQ at Salt Lick in Driftwood. That place was a very interesting experience but had awesome food .

On the original topic: I guess I won't be shipping Kinder Eggs to the US.. I kinda dislike fines :P

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW/CR 135i Msport

Even though I knew the possible consequences, last year for Christmas my wife and I put together "Taste of Germany" boxes for about 12 different people as their Christmas presents. These were USPS flat rate Large boxes and we stuffed them with all kinds of different German goodies, including Kinder Eggs and a few bottles of beer in each.

They all got to their destination just fine....

I also shipped multiple boxes filled with just beer bottles at other times. On the form on the outside I listed them as "figurines" and put the quantity next to it, lol.

PS, banning of Kinder eggs has gotta be one of the more asinine things that the FDA has banned.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Mhhh... Thats a really strange Story...
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
My ex and I went to Cancun a few years back. She grew up in Germany so when she saw Kindereggs at the duty-free shop in the Cancun airport she bought a couple. We had no issues bringing them back to the US.

YMMV
      11-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #12
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, the AR10
Yeah I definately want to go back to Texas ASAP. I really liked it there, so far my favourite place in the US . This time I was limited by money and vacation time to only 9 days (14th-22nd) which I spent almost exclusively with the people I know there at H2R in San Marcos . One day I did a short trip to Fredericksburg, but that was kinda disappointing, because just touri-crap. But I found the cemetery which was literally 90% German (unlike the rest of the town).
Guten Tag Y’all

My wife’s family are descendants of the German immigration to Texas (they came from the area of Leipzig). At least 5 or 6 German (Hessen) nationals died defending the Alamo from the evil General Santa Anna. Her grandfather although Texan by birth was fluent in German.

F'burg is not for everyone. It's mostly small trendy shops and boutiques. I prefer to sample the beer or grab a schnitzel und pommes. You should have visited the National War of the Pacific Museum. Admiral Nimitz was the son of these German Immigrants.
http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/index.asp

Also recommended reading:
http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/olmjou.html

Of all the people Olmsted encountered the Germans who settled in the hill country were the most fascinating. A butcher from New Braunfels "we have become quite wealthy and have no desire to return to Germany." BTW today’s forecast for the Hill Country sunny and 20.5 C.

According to Olmsted’s figures, Germans comprised nearly a third of the population in towns like San Antonio; they were the dominant group in many counties in the Hill Country. But numbers weren’t the reason for Olmsted’s interest in the Germans. The thriving German communities were his standing argument against the slave-plantation economy that was encroaching upon the Texas frontier. They were the shining example of what free labor and devotion to democratic ideals could accomplish in the new land.

I am glad you enjoyed visiting my home as much as we enjoy your’s

Okay..feeling homesick again...right Rick?

Last edited by smellthebeans; 11-29-2012 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: Guten Tag Y’all
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Oh yeah I stopped by the Pacific Warfare Museum with a friend, but only checked out what was accessible from the outside, didn't take a tour.

And I kinda feel homesick too, I think I found my happyplace and its called Texas . Can't you just adopt me or something so I can move to Austin?

Appreciate 0