BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #23
ziazhp
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '14 x1 35i, '06 M Road

Wow a lot going on in these threads here, making me not want to get rid of my ZHP coupe, lol. Thank you for all the feedback. To answer tock172, my E24 M6 is an '88 in Royal Blue and my ix is an '89 but needs new paint though everything else has been replaced (complete suspension overall, not fun or cheap!) and new interior, etc. Been a fun project..
Here is a link to my M6: https://1988m6.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprp85 View Post
Well I know its off topic but...

I have a 2011 128i with 6MT, sport pkg, slicktop, yadayada, as bare as it gets with only essential options.

Its always fun to drive, loves to get revved, typical I6 engine from BMW.

But I have always wondered how a ZHP drives. And of course, I have a soft spot for E46 sedans!

ZHP is basically raved by everyone, except for maybe M3 owners Lol!

If anyone could chime in with comparison between 128i and ZHP, it would be awesome!!
128i MT with sport package is very close. I'm a big fan. Car and driver was too. If I recall the steering seemed a little slower and slightly less feedback and suspension felt softer than ZHP but very close and great car. Especially light version nonsunroof manual seats no nav etc. They ran those cars with run flats and softened the suspension to cope with RF harshness which made them slightly crunchier but a really great ride IMHO.
Appreciate 1
sprp8596.00
      12-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #25
Steven135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
06 Bmw 330ci ZHP  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I own a Bmw 135i N55 6-speed and a BMW ZHP couple black 6-speed both of the cars are amazing and so fun to drive! idk what it is about the zhp it really feels like a race car when im in it and 135i aswell because of the turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #26
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

The interior of a 1-Series car, at least the leather ones, will hold up fine if you garage it and don't let it sit in the sun for long periods of time. Left outdoors it will deteriorate, just like about any car I can think of. All 3 of my 1-Series cars, two of which are 4+ years old and my 2011 1M is even older, have been garaged, and their interiors could look like new with 20 minute's worth of effort on my part with cleaning products.
      12-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #27
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I can't speak as to how much/not better the E82/88 is over the E46. However, I can say that I love my car. The way mine's set-up is nice, but needs some tweaking of the alignment to balance it out. It turns in very nicely and sharply, and doesn't feel twitchy and hectic on the highway. With some easy mods, the 1er can be a very sharp corner carver. If you value ease of maintenance, lack of maintenance, balance, and just a nice-driving car, I'd go with a 128i instead of the 135i. It's a lighter, simpler car, which can be found for less money, which gives back more money for lightweight wheels, tires, suspension bits, brake stuff (F30 335i brakes are awesome), and maybe a DISA manifold swap for extra power eventually. Like what I hear about the E46, the E82 takes a few simple-to-do-but-not-that-cheap mods to make it a real peach. As for the interior, my car has 167k miles (2009 model) and it's holding up very well for the wear that it's been dealt by the PO. My base manual sensatec (vinyl) seats are holding up well upholstery-wise, but the driver's side cushioning is suffering from some deflation. The faceplate on the radio has some shiny spots where fingers frequently rub it, and the steering wheel trim peeled (a common issue), but nothing is broken or fragile-feeling. All of the soft-touch spots still feel soft, and nothing is wearing badly. I think this may be the best car interior I've interacted with in recent memory, save for a brand-new GTI (but that's brand new). I don't think you'll be disappointed with one of these cars, no matter if you get a 135i or a (superior, IMO) 128i. One bit of advise: find a car with the sport package.
      12-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #28
DSR27
Rep
Drives: 2010 Deep Sea Blue 135i

135 is much coarser

Don't know if the OP has made up his mind yet... but I'll add this to the discussion. I have a 330i and recently bought a 135i. My 330 is not ZHP. Much has already been said about handling comparisons, and my experience agrees with all the above statements.

To me, what is surprising in the comparison of the 2 is that the overall smoothness of the e46 is lacking in the 135. Mechanically, the engine of the 135 is a coarser, less refined piece. If you value the smooth quality of your ZHP, you will not find that in the 135. You will find plenty else to like, oodles of power for sure and the sound out the back too. Noise at the front, not so good. Valve tics, injector noise (reportedly worse in the N54 than N55), HPFP and fuel evap valve noises seem to be rather common. Not the faint whir of your 330. Bear in mind that I'm only 3 weeks into my 135 ownership, and perhaps not up to speed on any solutions to the noises. Also, these tics, etc, vanish as soon as you're moving, and so far have not been audible above even normal 'radio' listening levels ... but were surprising to me.

All that 'complained' about, and knowing that the 135 is likely to make my 330 repair history look like that of a Honda, I would have to say that the 135 is going to be one of my favorite cars of all time. The 135 is for sure the most fun I've experienced in a street car. This last weekend a buddy of mine insisted I drive his C6. While I'm sure the C6 would win if the contest were lap times, though not by much, my reaction was 'meh ...'. The solid, granite-like, feel of the e46 is as fully present in the 135 as it is fully lacking in the C6.

try one, and tell us what you think
Gary
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSR27 View Post
Don't know if the OP has made up his mind yet... but I'll add this to the discussion. I have a 330i and recently bought a 135i. My 330 is not ZHP. Much has already been said about handling comparisons, and my experience agrees with all the above statements.

To me, what is surprising in the comparison of the 2 is that the overall smoothness of the e46 is lacking in the 135. Mechanically, the engine of the 135 is a coarser, less refined piece. If you value the smooth quality of your ZHP, you will not find that in the 135. You will find plenty else to like, oodles of power for sure and the sound out the back too. Noise at the front, not so good. Valve tics, injector noise (reportedly worse in the N54 than N55), HPFP and fuel evap valve noises seem to be rather common. Not the faint whir of your 330. Bear in mind that I'm only 3 weeks into my 135 ownership, and perhaps not up to speed on any solutions to the noises. Also, these tics, etc, vanish as soon as you're moving, and so far have not been audible above even normal 'radio' listening levels ... but were surprising to me.

All that 'complained' about, and knowing that the 135 is likely to make my 330 repair history look like that of a Honda, I would have to say that the 135 is going to be one of my favorite cars of all time. The 135 is for sure the most fun I've experienced in a street car. This last weekend a buddy of mine insisted I drive his C6. While I'm sure the C6 would win if the contest were lap times, though not by much, my reaction was 'meh ...'. The solid, granite-like, feel of the e46 is as fully present in the 135 as it is fully lacking in the C6.

try one, and tell us what you think
Gary
Agree that the N54/N55 sound chattery when in idle, kind of like a diesel. But when up and running, they sound pretty sweet to me. Owned both but currently own an N55. I have the BMW Performance exhaust on mine and it sounds great when getting on it and has a nice purr when cruising. Nice tone all the time. Love the power, especially the torque!

Don't have much experience with the E46 so can't really compare it. My only time with an E46 was when I was seriously considering buying an E46 M3 and test drove one at CarMax, but the experience was ruined by the car's SMG. Would've preferred a stick but can't drive one anymore because of a permanent injury that I've mentioned too many times here. Dammit, just mentioned it again. lol
      12-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #30
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Would've preferred a stick but can't drive one anymore because of a permanent injury that I've mentioned too many times here. Dammit, just mentioned it again. lol
Don't worry, it's an appropriate excuse to use.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #31
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Don't worry, it's an appropriate excuse to use.
Okay, now you went and made me tell the story. I was hiking in Mt Baldy in 2008 and fell and broke my left ankle. Never healed properly and still hurts like hell. Get cortisone injections every once in a while for the pain. Especially hurts when I walk. No more clutch for me.

Was driving a 2006 Mustang GT manual at the time. Supercharged with 475 ponies. Traded it for a 2008 135i with the Steptronic transmission and never looked back. If you like, Tommy boy, I can bring a note from my mommy.
      12-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #32
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Okay, now you went and made me tell the story. I was hiking in Mt Baldy in 2008 and fell and broke my left ankle. Never healed properly and still hurts like hell. Get cortisone injections every once in a while for the pain. Especially hurts when I walk. No more clutch for me.

Was driving a 2006 Mustang GT manual at the time. Supercharged with 475 ponies. Traded it for a 2008 135i with the Steptronic transmission and never looked back. If you like, Tommy boy, I can bring a note from my mommy.
Shit, that sucks! Sorry to hear that. I run a lot so I'd be a bit sad if I couldn't even walk nor press the clutch in a car that deserves to have a manual transmission.

I'd totally own an automatic car now, though. Especially if it was going to be driven daily in the city. It's sooooo comfy.
      12-13-2017, 11:21 PM   #33
DSR27
Rep
Drives: 2010 Deep Sea Blue 135i

[QUOTE=Esteban;22533322
Don't have much experience with the E46 so can't really compare it. My only time with an E46 was when I was seriously considering buying an E46 M3 and test drove one at CarMax, but the experience was ruined by the car's SMG. Would've preferred a stick but can't drive one anymore because of a permanent injury that I've mentioned too many times here. Dammit, just mentioned it again. lol[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention the SMG. I finally had to give up my 944T due to my back not liking the seating position or the clutch. So the next toy had to have an AT of some form. I considered the M3 SMG ... right up until the time that I drove a buddy's. 'Ruined', as you put it, completely describes the effect of the SMG. Also, for a track car the e46 M3 engine is perfect, but for a street car, the torque of the 135 is hands-down more usable and fun.

Gary
Appreciate 0