BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #89
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Okay. One more question because I'm just curious. Does any of you know if pirelli a good choice for our car? I heard pirelli p zero nero is quite good but not sure if it's available for our car. Any information that you guys can share with me regarding pirelli? I know the price might be more expensive but just want to get some more information since I want to change into the right tires. I know for sure PSS is one of the best
Hi put a set of Pirelli pzero rosso last December and they Are decent tires and much better than what i had before (chineese tires). They are very progressive and hold well in the wet. My only complain is they are noisy and harsh at around 60mph. I think the newer PZero that is standard on the latest breed of sports cars are much better and as good as PSS. Btw the pirellis can be found very cheap at tire rack.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #90
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep
Drives: none

I completely agree OP which is why I have purchased my new Michelin Pilot Super Street tires just recently and can't wait to get them on!
      08-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #91
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1
I just switched to Continental ExtremeContact DWS today... A much more comfortable ride! It's great.
I just ordered a set of Conti extreme contact Dws for my 128. You still liking yours ?
      08-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #92
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
I haven't found there to be much of a compromise running summer performance in cold weather. Of course, an all-season performance may do better, but ultimately, I want stick and grip during prime season when it's warm and I refuse to spend the money on an intermediate set. In the summer, I turn off traction control immediately when I get in the car...in the winter, I tend to leave it on more as cooler temps just don't provide as much grip (With any tire)...and in the Northeast, you never know if there's a patch of ice lurking around the next corner. Things can get a little squirrelly if you put your foot down (Which can be fun if you have the runoff, if not - well...)

I don't have a set of winter rims/tires, though I'd like to...I haven't tried the PSS in the snow, and don't think I will. Since I'm in NYC I'm lucky that I don't have to depend on my car for transportation. When it snows, it sits. I take it out in every other condition, just not snow.

Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point...
as a fellow Brooklyn-ite.....you are REALLY comprimising yourself and your car if you are running Summer tires in the winter. Really a bad idea. Whether you drive in snow or not it doesn't matter....when it is 30 degrees out and DRY your car is a safety hazard due to poor braking and poor handling on summer tires which are not working well in those temperatures.

and that one day you DO find yourself out on the weekend and it starts to snow, you will be in some major trouble so don't take that chance.

getting winter tires is NOT an added expense.....you save mileage anyways on your tires so they last longer. I think for us NYCers, storage is usually the biggest problem. Fortunately we have a little storage cage in our apartment building that we rent for all our extra 'stuff'.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #93
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
I just ordered a set of Conti extreme contact Dws for my 128. You still liking yours ?
Yes, they have great grip/traction, great bang for the buck. However, if I could choose I would have bought Michelin PSS and then dedicated winter tires/wheels, like everyone else does. Didn't have that type of $ though.

edit: But I should add that it is really comforting knowing that in ANY weather, year round, I'm always good to get around on the DWS.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #94
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
as a fellow Brooklyn-ite.....you are REALLY comprimising yourself and your car if you are running Summer tires in the winter. Really a bad idea. Whether you drive in snow or not it doesn't matter....when it is 30 degrees out and DRY your car is a safety hazard due to poor braking and poor handling on summer tires which are not working well in those temperatures.

and that one day you DO find yourself out on the weekend and it starts to snow, you will be in some major trouble so don't take that chance.

getting winter tires is NOT an added expense.....you save mileage anyways on your tires so they last longer. I think for us NYCers, storage is usually the biggest problem. Fortunately we have a little storage cage in our apartment building that we rent for all our extra 'stuff'.
Please step down from the soapbox you're on and refrain from telling me what "Chances" to take, I'm a grown man over 40 and haven't had an accident in 20 years (When I was hit by someone else). I've got enough seat time on the track to handle my car. Relax and enjoy the effortless traction in your Quattro...

(And maybe read my whole post - which at the end states, 'Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point')

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #95
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
Please step down from the soapbox you're on and refrain from telling me what "Chances" to take, I'm a grown man over 40 and haven't had an accident in 20 years (When I was hit by someone else). I've got enough seat time on the track to handle my car. Relax and enjoy the effortless traction in your Quattro...

(And maybe read my whole post - which at the end states, 'Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point')
MEH. those reasons aren't good enough to not buy the right tires....a bit of a fail considering all the ranting you've done here about tires. LOL.

i don't care if you've driven 5000 years without an accident...running summer tires in the winter is totally foolish....

summer tires harden at certain temperatures...even if there is no snow on the ground, you are comprimising your safety and performance by running summers in cold weather.

Last edited by IEDEI; 08-17-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #96
FrankieFord
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 2011 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGadget View Post
This is what I use ... OEM Jack system and OEM mobility kit. The latter uses a latex solution which washes out and does not wreck the tyre. Part numbers are shown.
I've been meaning to change tires. I was always worried about not having a spare but thanks for the part #'s
Cheaper + better performance =
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #97
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFord View Post
I've been meaning to change tires. I was always worried about not having a spare but thanks for the part #'s
Cheaper + better performance =
I also bought the E91N 335i Space saver emergency wheel and tyre (as Dackelone did) Part No. 36110445045. I bought mine from eStore Central and I think it must be gold plated. LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #98
z0so
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28

I agree! Run flats are the most uncomfortable tire ever. I had some on my C5 Corvette and hated them. The trade off of 50 miles with no air that may benefit you once during ownership is not worth the comfort and noise quality of a regular tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #99
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

What is everyone's flat-tire prevention method? spare in the trunk? I doubt it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #100
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
Cell phone and a VISA.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #101
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
For me that is exactly what I have done. Full size spare carried in the trunk.

I just travel too far away from my home base to risk being stranded in some little village or another EU country. Even though BMW Assist and/or ADAC (the German automobile club) is just a phone call away. Still I don't like having to depend on some roadside service. Its far better to have a full size spare and jack.

At first I bought one of BMW's alloy spare donuts and the jack kit. The spare is a 3.5inch by 17" alloy spare. But when I had to use it... the handling was quite scary. It made my rear end want to wiggle and fishtail in the rain - not a good feeling. And of course I got that flat tire some 500+ kms from my home and had to drive 100 km to Nurburgring for a vintage race and then drive back to my home in Bavaria. Lucky for me, another 1Addict lived close by and let me borrow one of his winter wheels. THAT was a life saver.

It was then and there I decided to buy a full size spare. I ordered a 7Jx17 steel wheel for a e46 330i, and then mounted a 205/55ZR17 tire.

Name:  IMG_5306.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  150.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5309.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5285.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  147.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5292.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5295.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  114.2 KB

BMW's eu only mini spare donut. The reason why its only available over here is bc the tire has no DOT rating on it.
Name:  IMG_5274.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  142.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #102
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
For me that is exactly what I have done. Full size spare carried in the trunk.

I just travel too far away from my home base to risk being stranded in some little village or another EU country. Even though BMW Assist and/or ADAC (the German automobile club) is just a phone call away. Still I don't like having to depend on some roadside service. Its far better to have a full size spare and jack.

At first I bought one of BMW's alloy spare donuts and the jack kit. The spare is a 3.5inch by 17" alloy spare. But when I had to use it... the handling was quite scary. It made my rear end want to wiggle and fishtail in the rain - not a good feeling. And of course I got that flat tire some 500+ kms from my home and had to drive 100 km to Nurburgring for a vintage race and then drive back to my home in Bavaria. Lucky for me, another 1Addict lived close by and let me borrow one of his winter wheels. THAT was a life saver.

It was then and there I decided to buy a full size spare. I ordered a 7Jx17 steel wheel for a e46 330i, and then mounted a 205/55ZR17 tire.

Attachment 910093

Attachment 910094

Attachment 910095

Attachment 910096

Attachment 910097

BMW's eu only mini spare donut. The reason why its only available over here is bc the tire has no DOT rating on it.
Attachment 910098
You Sir have the cleanest most orderly trunk I have ever seen
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #103
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Cell phone and a VISA.
Who do you call and who do you pay?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #104
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
You Sir have the cleanest most orderly trunk I have ever seen
Thanks.

Quote:
Who do you call and who do you pay?

Anyone can call BMW Assist. IF your car is still under the 4 year warranty, everything is free. IF you have an older car... BMW Assistance will still come, but they will charge you after 30 minutes of their time on site. At least thats the way it works over here in DE.

BMW Roadside Assistance directly at its toll-free number: 800-332-4BMW (800-332-4269).

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ssistance.aspx

Or you could join AAA and or pay a local towing company when you need help.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #105
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Just got rid of the RFTs (after 23K miles) and went with Michelin PSS this weekend because of all the rave reviews on this forum. I've personally never really had much luck with Michelins on "regular" cars, but I'm going with the consensus here. I checked out a bunch of others and could have saved a few hundred but had the money and decided to pull the trigger on these. I went with 225/40/18 up front and the 255/35/18 in back. Looks sweet!

I gotta say, the ride is MUCH improved. This is a DD that will never get tracked, just driven with spirit once in a while. You guys were right, that harsh RFT feel was not necessary, and I'm already glad I went this route.

Question I have is what's the best air pressure? I am running 38 front and 40 rear right now. I think the tire place had 34 up front and 36 in back when I got it back. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #106
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
Just got rid of the RFTs (after 23K miles) and went with Michelin PSS this weekend because of all the rave reviews on this forum. I've personally never really had much luck with Michelins on "regular" cars, but I'm going with the consensus here. I checked out a bunch of others and could have saved a few hundred but had the money and decided to pull the trigger on these. I went with 225/40/18 up front and the 255/35/18 in back. Looks sweet!

I gotta say, the ride is MUCH improved. This is a DD that will never get tracked, just driven with spirit once in a while. You guys were right, that harsh RFT feel was not necessary, and I'm already glad I went this route.

Question I have is what's the best air pressure? I am running 38 front and 40 rear right now. I think the tire place had 34 up front and 36 in back when I got it back. Any advice?
I just keep with the recommended BMW pressures - 36 front, 39 rear, but check your door jam/manual to see if that's what was recommended on your year. Gill @ Tire Rack I believe said you should still run the same recommended pressures in the PSS as the runflats. So, I'd start there, and then adjust if you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #107
Tito44
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235XI

BMW tells me I need to sign a waiver to switch from RFTs.. Anyone else go through this?

I want to switch to Michelin PS A/S 3..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #108
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito44 View Post
BMW tells me I need to sign a waiver to switch from RFTs.. Anyone else go through this?

I want to switch to Michelin PS A/S 3..
I asked my dealer if I could swap them with michelin pilot super sports prior to delivery and they flat out refused. I'd have gladly signed a waiver. I don't see how they could ask you to sign a waiver now though if you already have the car.

Curious to hear how those new A/S 3's are though. Heard the rears were available on tirerack but the front sizes wouldn't be til october, but perhaps that changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #109
Tito44
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235XI

I just ordered them in 225/40 18 and 255/35 18 from Gill at TR.

I'm siked! I just need to find an inexpensive place in Sicklerville area to mount them.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #110
dubai135
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert msport

Another PSS fan

I just got the PSS for my 10 vert m-sport in the 225 / 255 setup. Fit fine no mods. Happy with tirerack. Deep regrets now I waited to switch off the OEM run-flats until wore them out. PSS so good its worth it even if just scrapping new oem rfts. Only problem now is I realize the m-sport suspension is too soft and should be modd'ed. The first day I took my 6 year old son to school he asked me how come the car doesn't bounce around anymore -- unprompted and I'm not joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito44 View Post
Funny I don't recall BMW asking me to sign a waiver re RFT when I drove home with my F10 M5 which comes factory with PSS (non-RFT).

It is ridiculous they sell a 300 HP sports car like the 135i and the sport option (m-sport) carries RFT and an open diff.
Appreciate 0