BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
dc-1er
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 128i - Sedona Red

PSA: CARSTAR in Ancaster

I posted last week about my sunroof shattering. I decided to trust my insurance company (bad idea) and go with their suggested auto body repair shop, Carstar on Garner Rd in Ancaster.

I was told that to replace the glass and touch up paint the scratches that were made from the broken glass, that I would have my car back on Wednesday the latest. I've been calling them constantly today and finally got through an hour ago. I was told by them that they just started working on the car today (a week later) and they just ordered the sunroof glass. They now say the earliest it will be ready is this Friday, but to expect it not to be ready until mid-next week. The person I spoke to was unbelievably rude and had no sense of customer service whatsoever.

I can say with certainty that they are not going to install an OEM sunroof and I will end up with water leakage and even more issues in the future now. I'm even more worried, because after speaking to a few other close friends and family that have had service work done by this location, and other Carstars, that they not only received horrible workmanship with repairs, but actually had the nerve to rack up km's on their customers cars and don't record the km's until after the service is completed. The latter has been noted by a number of customers that have had their car serviced at this particular location. Good thing I recorded and took a picture of my km's before I brought it in to get serviced.

TL;DR Don't be an idiot like me and listen to your insurance company about where to have your car repaired after a claim. Avoid Carstar on Garner Rd like an std.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Damn, that really sucks to hear. Any way you can call your insurance company and lean on them to do something here? I would insist they prove it is Original/OEM glass/parts, these insurance snakes gouge us for premiums but when it comes down to it they always try to wiggle out.

Fair is fair, get what you paid all that insurance for, give em hell!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
dc-1er
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 128i - Sedona Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Damn, that really sucks to hear. Any way you can call your insurance company and lean on them to do something here? I would insist they prove it is Original/OEM glass/parts, these insurance snakes gouge us for premiums but when it comes down to it they always try to wiggle out.

Fair is fair, get what you paid all that insurance for, give em hell!
Talked to her last night after I had cooled off (was a rouuugh afternoon at work) but the lady I spoke to at insurance said that if I notice anything unusual, ie. in excess of 20km's from what has been recorded (but really they shouldn't even move my car from out of their garage without the sunroof, especially with the chance of it raining into an opening) to report it immediately to them. She also said that they will call them this morning to ensure they are using OEM parts and will 100% match the colour. Taking it with a handful of salt because of horror stories I've heard. On a side note, I had a dream/nightmare I picked up my car and they painted then roof and trunk crimson red instead of sedona and I had to wait another 2 weeks for them to fix it..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc-1er View Post
Talked to her last night after I had cooled off (was a rouuugh afternoon at work) but the lady I spoke to at insurance said that if I notice anything unusual, ie. in excess of 20km's from what has been recorded (but really they shouldn't even move my car from out of their garage without the sunroof, especially with the chance of it raining into an opening) to report it immediately to them. She also said that they will call them this morning to ensure they are using OEM parts and will 100% match the colour. Taking it with a handful of salt because of horror stories I've heard. On a side note, I had a dream/nightmare I picked up my car and they painted then roof and trunk crimson red instead of sedona and I had to wait another 2 weeks for them to fix it..
lol....maybe the god's will smile on you after all this shitty luck
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
In Ontario you have the right to choose your own repair shop when going through insurance; your insurance appraiser only has to approve the cost of the work ahead of work being done. Never let them pick a shop for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
jlc45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

FWIW.
My neighbour had his trunk lid and tail light repaired at the Carstar in question and they did a perfect job and were on time. Not a BMW though. But thanks for the report.
Appreciate 0