BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

135i owner perspective after driving the M2 on the track.

So I know this post isn't about the 135i cars, but I wanted to provide my perspective as a 1 series owner....so hopefully I don't get flamed.

First off, Thank you to Thompson BMW in Doylestown PA for inviting me to participate in this awesome event. They hosted an awesome track day where they provided the venue, instruction , cars, breakfast and lunch at no cost...nicely done?

So as a disclaimer I've only been on the track 2x, this being my second time. (Previously drove the M3, M4, M5 and M6)

So...at this event I got to drive 2 M2's auto trans)around a short auto cross course in addition to the 650 coupe and Grand Coupe around the outside track(and inside) of Pocono Raceway...Amazing cars!

Coming from a 135i Dinan Stage 3 car (no mids or muffler, pushing est. 400hp & 410 lb ft), the M2 felt similar. It got off the line fast, 1st gear came and went quickly. Good power down low, but it felt a little flat in the mids, similar to the 135i (not like M3/4's).

The cars sound really great (snap, crackle and pops

The M2 felt nice in the corners. Traction control was on...the car felt more nimble but less planted than the M3/4. I really liked how it felt.
The car feels like it's the right size unlike the other M cars which have grown significantly over the years.

Brake fade was a concern (short track) as there weren't many straight aways where you could give the brakes time to breathe.

Also I expected the steering to feel numb like the other recent M cars, but instead it had a nice weight an balance. Similar to our 1 cars.

I didn't love the interior CF...it looked unfinished...looks and feels like a place where dust can get trapped. I hear the BMW alcantera performance parts will be a nice replacement.

This is a great car. Whoever is getting one you are lucky and enjoy it.

I had a great time in the M2 but once I got back into my 135i, I really appreciated the similarities of our 1 series cars to the M2 and enjoyed the 1.5 hour drive home. Enjoy your cars people.
Attached Images

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Thanks for sharing and nice write-up. Was this the BMW Ultimate Driving Event or just a special dealer event? I'm scheduled for the UDE at our local track in a few weeks. I hope they have similar cars at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Thanks for sharing! I need to get out and drive an M2, after driving the M235's I was left wanting more.
      05-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Just curious... what susp and tire mods do you have on your 1?
      05-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
Thanks for sharing and nice write-up. Was this the BMW Ultimate Driving Event or just a special dealer event? I'm scheduled for the UDE at our local track in a few weeks. I hope they have similar cars at it.
It wans't the UDE, instead I think this particular dealership (Thompson BMW) pulls from a customer base (new car buyers, People having performance work done, or basic service) and invites them to this hosted event.

This dealership has done all of my Performance work so I was lucky enough to get an invite. Hope that answers your question.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Just curious... what susp and tire mods do you have on your 1?
It's in my signature, but I'm running the ST coilovers, HRE FF15 wheels and Michelin PSS.

Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Good to hear you had fun in the M2. It is a special car. Can't wait to drive one. Also good to hear that you still appreciated your 135i afterwards and enjoyed your drive home. Whenever I test drive another car, which I try to do often, I can't wait to get back in my 1er. Fits me like a glove.

Nice pics BTW.

Last edited by Esteban; 05-25-2016 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Good to hear you had fun in the M2. It is a special car. Can't wait to drive one. Also good to hear that you still appreciated your 135i and enjoyed your drive home. Whenever I test drive another car, which I try to do often, I can't wait to get back in my 1er. Fits me like a glove.

Nice pics BTW.
Esteban...thanks. You know the 135i is one of those quirky cars that if you've never driven it you might have some pre-conceived notions of what it is or isn't. But once you sit in that drivers seat (the cacoon) it all makes sense. It feels very driver oriented, the inside isn't cavernous like some other cars but at the same time it's not too small.

Then you drive it...and wow...this is where the car really shines. Sure it has it's flaws and it's not perfect..but it's a great drivers car.

I think many years from now(and maybe I'm wrong) people will look back and say...you know what, that 135i was a great little car and if you have an opportunity you should own one. For personal reasons, this will be the car for me (spring/summer) until I can justify something else. (Maybe a Cayman S or 911)

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
Esteban...thanks. You know the 135i is one of those quirky cars that if you've never driven it you might have some pre-conceived notions of what it is or isn't. But once you sit in that drivers seat (the cacoon) it all makes sense. It feels very driver oriented, the inside isn't cavernous like some other cars but at the same time it's not too small.

Then you drive it...and wow...this is where the car really shines. Sure it has it's flaws and it's not perfect..but it's a great drivers car.

I think many years from now(and maybe I'm wrong) people will look back and say...you know what, that 135i was a great little car and if you have an opportunity you should own one. For personal reasons, this will be the car for me (spring/summer) until I can justify something else. (Maybe a Cayman S or 911)
Well said. Yes, there are definitely some better cars out there, but in my mind, the 135i will always have it's charm and appeal.