BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

OT: Anyone got a current (Gen VI) Golf?

One of my kids is looking at a second hand Golf. Any comments, pro's, con's, words of caution?

She's looking at a couple of 2009 MY10 GenVI 103 TDI's, Comfortline, Auto. with about 20,000kms. They seem to be asking low $30K's

Does that seem like good value and about right?

Whats the auto (DSG) like?

Alternative seems to be same car in the 118 TSI, for similar money.

Anyone comment on whether one's better than the other?

Hopefully someone has some informed or experienced comments.

Thanks folks. Appreciate your help. We gotta help our kids.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
One of my kids is looking at a second hand Golf. Any comments, pro's, con's, words of caution?

She's looking at a couple of 2009 MY10 GenVI 103 TDI's, Comfortline, Auto. with about 20,000kms. They seem to be asking low $30K's

Just brought a 118 TSI DSG for my wife, being brand new I've got to wait until end of May due to the specs we wanted etc.

I've not driven the TDI so cant comment on that but found the 118 to be very good and zippy in performance. It's very quite (similar to our 1'er) and handles well (sport pack). Test drove the 118 several times before settling on it. I'm on the VW forum and there are reports of the odd problem etc, but then again we have our fair share of issues with the 1'er here.

I found the DSG to work fine, maybe a slight hesitation on takeoff but nothing you cant live with, and honestly not everyone is going to notice. No paddle shift though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
E92325i
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

I'll chime in although it might not be too relevant.

I had a '07 MkV GTI (DSG) for over 30,000km and the only problem i had was the left hand xenon globe blew and needed to be changed under warranty. I found the DSG to be great and that slight hesitation (really nothing major) is due to the fact that it isn't a proper "automatic" in the sense that doesn't have a torque converter like a true automatic.

IMO, the GTi (or golf's in general) is a great car for the money and they also have pretty good resale values as well

Good luck with your car searching
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

if the mk6 GTI had been available when I was ordering, I wouldn't have the 120d.....
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:

I've only heard good things about the Mk.VI so you can't go wrong with the golf.

One point worth noting though, I presume your daughter is a P-plater? If so, then the 118TSI will require her to have an exemption to drive. Costs $26 to apply which isn't that much, but the process is a bitch. You need to prove that there is no viable public transport for her to get to work/uni/school etc. or that she needs the vehicle in the course of employment for the RTA to even consider giving one out. Keep in mind they also consider the other cars under the same owner (if you are buying it for her).

The 103TDI doesn't have such a problem since it's a diesel. Stupid law, but what can we do

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'fatboy' View Post
I'm on the VW forum and there are reports of the odd problem etc, but then again we have our fair share of issues with the 1'er here.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

fatboy: Which VW forum have you found to be helpful. We've never had anything to do with VW's, so I might have a snoop around for "tips and tricks".

Thanks again folks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

I'm thinking about trading the 1series for a MkVI GTI... vwwatercooled is the forum
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

fatboy: Which VW forum have you found to be helpful. We've never had anything to do with VW's, so I might have a snoop around for "tips and tricks".

Thanks again folks.

Try this link: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...load/index.php
Appreciate 0