BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Cool [Epic] Magnaflow Performance Exhaust Review!

Welcome to my review, sorry its a bit late, but I had finals and school is finally over for now : )! Also, sorry for video/mic quality, used my phone .

(At my front door !)

Introduction:

To be honest, I never believed that I would be able to put an exhaust on my car. Being a student and the joy of having a great dad who co-signed this car with me, most of the money I make at my job(aside from full time student) goes directly to making monthly car payments, and paying for other commodities like gas,food,etc. Therefore, modding this car is difficult, as money does not come easy ☺. It took me about 4 months to save for my Injen CAI, which was $250, so saving for an exhaust would take like 100000 years .

Opportunity:

There are only two exhaust on the market made for the 128i, the BMW PE, and the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. The Magnaflow on 128i is not well known, mainly because nobody really has it or put up clips. This is the main reason for my review.

How did this all start?

Well, over on facebook.com/magnaflow, they held a video contest, and the winner got a free exhaust of their choice. I took this as a big opportunity for me. Before, an exhaust was a dream, and now a reality! The rules were simple, using xtranormal.com, create a funny video, and the funniest video would win.

I went above and beyond and created two videos, while everyone else created one. The fact that I was the first entry as well, and created two videos compared to one made me stand out above the competition. Also, my videos were funny, which was the point xD.

Video1(NSFW-Sexual Language)

Video2(Rap)

So, a dream became real, and thanks to Magnaflow, I was able to put an exhaust on my car. I would like to thank Magnaflow a bunch. As everyone knows, they are a top notch brand that is well known for great exhausts, and they have contest regularly, so I suggest you like them on facebook : )!

(Image of Stock Exhaust)

Installation:

I got this exhaust installed by the guys at Stett Performance. They are a great bunch of guys, and did a great job installing the exhaust. They also gave me the lowest price, and they were also the most professional - couldn't have asked for anything better : )!

(My car at Stett)

This exhaust installs very easy. It is bolt-on. It comes with instructions you can see on their website. All you do is cut 7 inches from the cats, and the rest slides on : ). Very easy to do! I am just a noob

Review:

Welcome to the Review section! I know many of you have been anticipating this, so lets begin!

Information:
Magnaflow Performance Cat Back Exhaust
Part #:16525
BMW 128i Stainless Cat-back System Performance Exhaust

Description: L6 3.0L
5 x 8 x 14in. Muffler, 5 x 14in. Resonator; 2.5in. Tubing; 3.5in. Polished Stainless Tip, DUAL REAR EXIT

Other:
Material: 100% Stainless Steel
Tubing O.D. Size: 2.5in
System Type: Cat-Back
TIP O.D. Size: 3.5in.
TIP Quantity: 2
Single/Dual: Single
Exit Position: Rear Exit
Features and Benefits: Lifetime Warranty, Dyno Tested And Proven To Make Power, Performance Gains In Horsepower And Torque, Great Sound -Has A Smooth; Deep Tone, Easy To Install, Mandrel-Bent. All Welded. Built To Last.

Price: MSRP: $812 per magnaflow.com, but I have seen it for ~600 bucks from other websites, which makes it cheaper then BMW PE.

Performance Measures:

1) Weight: I can tell you there is weight savings, how much, I do not know. If anyone knows how much a stock exhaust weighs, please let me know! I do know that I was able to lift the Magnaflow Exhaust by myself into my car, but I needed help lifting the stock exhaust back into my car. It definitely felt heavier. My UPS tracking information says the package was 43 lbs, so with the packing material remove, I am assuming the Magnaflow exhaust weighs around 38-40 lbs.

2) Speed: While I do not have a dyno, I can tell there is an increase in performance. Surprisingly, I see it most in the low and mid range, especially with torque. The car breathes better and pulls more linearly, especially towards redline. It works amazing with the Injen CAI that I have, completely transforms car. It is a beast!! I can feel the rush more : ).

Obviously, I did not gain 50 hp or anything miraculous. However, the car definitely seems peppier and more alive.

For the top range, it feels better as well. Nothing life changing, but the drop in power in the upper range that our car has seems to be gone. It likes to push all the way to redline : )!

3) Gas Mileage: My gas mileage has improved, and I think it has to do with the low-end power gain. This car is my daily commuter. I know that this car takes a bit of gas to get it going. From 1-2.5k, this car seems somewhat slow. To drive it properly, we have to push the car to 3-4k. Because the car feels more NIMBLE, and seems to be making greater power, shifting at 2.5k does not seem an issue anymore. No toyota corollas passing me anymore

I have been recently been making videos for you guys, and with this in mind, I am driving more aggressively, yet, my gas mileage is STILL better then before. I averaged 21.1 MPG driving before, and even with my new heavy foot testing the exhaust, it has gone up to 21.5 mpg. Therefore, if I start to drive more “normal”, I am sure I can increase it to 23 mpg.

4) Sound - Paired with my intake, the sound is just amazing. I really really like this exhaust for two main reasons.

Note: Before, my mods included Injen CAI and Golf Tee Mod

A) It only makes noise when you accelerate! Cruising at 40 or 70, I notice no noise at ALL, which is a big plus for me because this is my daily driver. I did notice a very SMALL amount of drone, but that was only when I was driving with no music on because I was making the videos. Under normal driving conditions, (i.e air conditioning and music) you won’t notice any drone.

B) Deep sound – I will let the music clips speak for themselves, but the exhaust is very deep! I love it so much! I am driving with my windows down all the time just to hear my exhaust more

5) Looks – I love how aggressive the exhaust is! It has 3.5 inch tips, and barely fits into rear bumper : ) The quality is top notch and uses all OEM hangars and parts.

Extras:

I now have to drive this car in manual mode because the exhaust is too much fun to control. When you up shift, you can feel the exhaust go deeper. I left some upshifts/downshifts in the video so you can hear what I mean.

Summary:

This exhaust is fantastic! I give it 10/10! My car not only looks more aggressive, but sounds more aggressive as well. Performance has improved, and I get better gas mileage! I am very blessed to have had the opportunity to win the exhaust, and I would like to thank Magnaflow for holding the contest, and Stett Performance for installing the exhaust.

Thanks guys for reading all of this, I did this mainly for you guys. I know many are curious as to what it is/sounds like. I enjoy it and I hope you guys do as well.

As to what is next, I would love to get an ECU tune, or rims : )! However, need money first ; ).

If you guys have any questions, please ask ahead, I will try to do my best to answer !

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 05-14-2011 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: fixed links
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

Woo review! Awesome review and an awesome sounding exhaust!

Intake + Golf Tee + Exhaust = Nomnomnomnom
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

oops, I should add that as well xD. With the Magnaflow exhaust, it gets rid of the flapper valve completely, so you essentially have to close it with a zip it. I think the same applies with the BMW PE
      05-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Nice review!!! Glad you won the exhaust being that it seems like you work very hard with school and work. Congrats! oh, by-the-way, I would check your app out if you made it for android Apple sux nutts!! Android has taken over and I'm sure you would make more money if you ported it over. Again, Congrats!
      05-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep

What's the function of the flapper valve?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
What's the function of the flapper valve?
You know how the standard OEM exhaust has dual tips, there is a flap that covers the left hole and it acts as a silencer, makes the car more quiet at low RPMs. However, after about 3k RPM the flap is opened up so you can hear your exhaust better. The golf tee mod basically keeps the valve open all the time so you can hear your exhaust better at low RPM. since the BMW PE and Magnaflow are about sound, they don't use the flapper at all. There is a thread in the DIY section that has more info and pics on how to do it.
      05-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oh I see Now I know what the golf tee mod really is, interesting!

Edit: Hilarious videos btw LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1524 View Post
Apple sux nutts!! Android has taken over and I'm sure you would make more money if you ported it over. Again, Congrats!
Sorry to thread jack but you obviously don't know any mobile developers. The android market makes developers next to nothing. 85% of app revenue still takes place on the Apple App Store. Not to mention that when you take the iPod touch and iPad in to account the iOS platform is 60% bigger than the android platform.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Rustom 8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

^android has taken over the market quickly. Android started like 3 years ago with the g1 i think... and now how many do they have?!? too many to keep track of anymore... Android after 3 years has the highest market share in the US for smartphones... so if u want in on that $$$... go sell android software!

ANYWAY awesome review! Although I'm still buying BMW perf exhaust for my 128i... i figure BMW made this amazing machine... go with what u know and stick with BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Rustom 8;9611731]^android has taken over the market quickly. Android started like 3 years ago with the g1 i think... and now how many do they have?!? too many to keep track of anymore... Android after 3 years has the highest market share in the US for smartphones... so if u want in on that $$$... go sell android software!

Ha, knew I would stir up something! LOL. I was just messing with him guys! Even though I really hate Apple products and would never give a cent to that company, EVER!!! Hardware is terrible, they are way behind on innovation now, even before their new devices are released, they are obsolete. If your happy with Apple and it fits your lifestyle, that's cool. I like to stay on top when it comes to my phones LOL Just my personal preference of coarse!

On another note, wait till your exhaust "settles" in a bit longer and then update your review Kirby. All the aftermarket exhaust that I've put on my car(s) have sounded better after a couple of months
      05-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Rustom 8;9611731]^android has taken over the market quickly. Android started like 3 years ago with the g1 i think... and now how many do they have?!? too many to keep track of anymore... Android after 3 years has the highest market share in the US for smartphones... so if u want in on that $$$... go sell android software!

Ha, knew I would stir up something! LOL. I was just messing with him mrow! Even though I really hate Apple products and would never give a cent to that company, EVER!!! Hardware is terrible, they are way behind on innovation now, even before their new devices are released, they are obsolete. If your happy with Apple and it fits your lifestyle, that's cool. I like to stay on top when it comes to my phones LOL Just my personal preference of coarse!

On another note, wait till your exhaust "settles" in a bit longer and then update your review Kirby. All the aftermarket exhaust that I've put on my car has sounded better after a couple of months
      05-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

lol you guys arguing are silly xD. Both Apple and Android have their positives and negatives. I chose Apple first because I own an iPhone and I enjoy the phone. Yes, Android is creeping up, and is easier to develop for(IMO, it uses Java, which is universal, Apple uses Objective C which is not a common language). However, I am only one person, and do it for fun : ). Right now being a student and having a job doesn't give me much time to work on this hobby xD. But yes, I will also be looking at Android as well : ). Like I said, both are great.

As for my exhaust, I had the exhaust for about a week before shooting the videos. I got it done the weekend before finals, and during finals I was too busy to shoot or anything so I broke in the exhaust. I think how it sounds now is how it will stay, but if anything changed I will def update : )
      05-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Greenkirby21;9615667]lol you guys arguing are silly xD. Both Apple and Android have their positives and negatives. I chose Apple first because I own an iPhone and I enjoy the phone. Yes, Android is creeping up, and is easier to develop for(IMO, it uses Java, which is universal, Apple uses Objective C which is not a common language). However, I am only one person, and do it for fun : ). Right now being a student and having a job doesn't give me much time to work on this hobby xD. But yes, I will also be lookin

I know, I knew it would start something. Lol. I'm a little bit of an instegator. Lol. Cool, let us know how much it changes over time!
      05-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustom 8 View Post
^android has taken over the market quickly. Android started like 3 years ago with the g1 i think... and now how many do they have?!? too many to keep track of anymore... Android after 3 years has the highest market share in the US for smartphones... so if u want in on that $$$... go sell android software!

ANYWAY awesome review! Although I'm still buying BMW perf exhaust for my 128i... i figure BMW made this amazing machine... go with what u know and stick with BMW
http://touchreviews.net/apple-app-st...s-market-2014/

Projected Android Market revenue for 2011: around $450 million.

Projected iPhone App Store revenue for 2011: around $3 billion.

Projected to stay this way for at least the next three years. Android may sell marginally more phones but the iPhone is not the only device targeted by the App Store, with iOS you get the iPod touch and the iPad as well. All those together make the iOS market share still 59% larger than the android market.

If I was a mobile developer I know where I'd be targeting first...

Anyway, about the exhaust. Could you retake some of those videos? The wind noise on the outside shots make it basically impossible to hear. Inside sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Yes I will try. We've had bad wind/storms lately here in Texas, and it doesn't help much I am using an iPhone to record. xD. But I will try to get a friends camera or something
      05-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
http://touchreviews.net/apple-app-st...s-market-2014/

Projected Android Market revenue for 2011: around $450 million.

Projected iPhone App Store revenue for 2011: around $3 billion.

Projected to stay this way for at least the next three years. Android may sell marginally more phones but the iPhone is not the only device targeted by the App Store, with iOS you get the iPod touch and the iPad as well. All those together make the iOS market share still 59% larger than the android market.

If I was a mobile developer I know where I'd be targeting first...

Anyway, about the exhaust. Could you retake some of those videos? The wind noise on the outside shots make it basically impossible to hear. Inside sounds great.
Take into account that the iPhone was exclusive for 5 years...
      05-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

still raining here x_X. Should I just tape my phone to my bumper and drive around in a parking lot LOL.
      05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Take into account that the iPhone was exclusive for 5 years...
First iPhone came out June 2007, 4 years ago. First Android phone, the G1, came out October 2008, almost 3 years ago. If you want to talk about App Stores, the iOS App Store didn't come out until July 2008 with iOS version 2.0 so the Android App Market was only 3 months behind it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
still raining here x_X. Should I just tape my phone to my bumper and drive around in a parking lot LOL.
Haha, I'll let you determine if you want to take that risk on your own.

If you use your hand to help shield the mic from the wind on the iPhone I find that tends to help a lot. Also maybe try using a big piece of cardboard or something as a wind shield.
Appreciate 0