BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #45
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Easily remedied by using launch control at every light or stop sign. hahaha. I'm yet to try it. Scares me.
DO IT!!!!!

1. Press brake
2. Press DTC button (once)
3. Press Sport button
4. Push gear lever to manual mode
5. Select M1 gear
6. Press accelerator to floor
(past resistance point – to click)
7. Flag appears
8. Release brake pedal

WATCH OUT!!!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #46
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
I know IEDEI hasn't driven an IS in DCT since his was the first he drove, but Rick, did you ever drive one in stick to compare? Like you, I have some physical limitations that would prevent me from safely owning a manual as my only car or at least would be wise for me to not go that route. I've always been curious how different it would feel though and haven't had a chance to drive one in stick. Only ones dealers had that weren't pre-sold when I went were DCT except for a space gray on oyster, but after fighting with the guy for 15 minutes that an IS even existed, and another 10 trying to find it across 2 lots and 4 levels in an upper garage, I wasn't in the mood to drive that one.

Just curious if any IS owners ever were able to drive both or both back to back though.
I drove a 6MT 135i and a DCT 135i back-to-back, but not with IS versions. Without question the 6MT is a good unit. The accel-shift-accel-shift-accel nature of the 6MT car provides higher peak accel Gs compared to the seamless power delivery of the DCT, and therefore felt a bit "faster" to me.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #47
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
I drove a 6MT 135i and a DCT 135i back-to-back, but not with IS versions. Without question the 6MT is a good unit. The accel-shift-accel-shift-accel nature of the 6MT car provides higher peak accel Gs compared to the seamless power delivery of the DCT, and therefore felt a bit "faster" to me.
Update, TODAY I'm disappointed in the 135is, or at least ordering parts for it.

Thanks for your impressions Rick. Never driven any 135 variant in stick and have had a 135 with steptronic and now DCT.

Now in whatever the appropriate thread is, we're waiting with baited breath to hear what you think of the new tires! =)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #48
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update, TODAY I'm disappointed in the 135is, or at least ordering parts for it.

Thanks for your impressions Rick. Never driven any 135 variant in stick and have had a 135 with steptronic and now DCT.

Now in whatever the appropriate thread is, we're waiting with baited breath to hear what you think of the new tires! =)
Probably won't have a review until next weekend. Appointment was rescheduled for today. I'm in a '13 328xi loaner, will pick up my car tonight with tires installed and drive the rush hour commute back to the house, pack and head out of town for 1 week+. So much for a good back-to-back comparison.

OK, I might post my initial impressions in the wheel/tire forum later tonight...

Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #49
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Probably won't have a review until next weekend. Appointment was rescheduled for today. I'm in a '13 328xi loaner, will pick up my car tonight with tires installed and drive the rush hour commute back to the house, pack and head out of town for 1 week+. So much for a good back-to-back comparison.

OK, I might post my initial impressions in the wheel/tire forum later tonight...
You do it through the dealer? Along with post break-in oil change?

Luckily, I don't think you need a back to back comparison on this one to get a good idea of what they're like. Don't need to eat ground chuck right before good steak to know, mmm, that was a good steak!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #50
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You do it through the dealer? Along with post break-in oil change?
Yessir!

Quote:
Luckily, I don't think you need a back to back comparison on this one to get a good idea of what they're like. Don't need to eat ground chuck right before good steak to know, mmm, that was a good steak!
Within one block of the dealership I could feel the difference. Dramatic improvement in ride quality. On the way home I detoured a bit to find roads that induce known quantities of harshness and upset in the G37 and RFT-equipped 135is. I wasn't expecting this much improvement. If you are on the fence about swapping, my advice is to DO IT if you can tolerate the risk of getting a flat. I'm now a believer in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #51
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Yessir!

Within one block of the dealership I could feel the difference. Dramatic improvement in ride quality. On the way home I detoured a bit to find roads that induce known quantities of harshness and upset in the G37 and RFT-equipped 135is. I wasn't expecting this much improvement. If you are on the fence about swapping, my advice is to DO IT if you can tolerate the risk of getting a flat. I'm now a believer in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it and can't believe your dealer would do it! They make you sign some kind of waiver or something? I asked my dealership to do it before I even took the car and they refused to.

Like I said, if you thought you liked how it drove before, THIS is how the car should drive and is such a more compliant ride AND improved grip, reduced stopping distances and will probably get a little better as there's typically a 300 mile "break in" on the tires.
Appreciate 0