E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > When did you realise BMW was for u???

10-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #23
the*saint*
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

This is a cool thread.

My uncle in Chicago had a white E30 325is and in one summer that i was visiting, I was given the errand of picking up the car at the dealership, after some service. I'd guess that i only had my driver's licence for about 2 years at that time, but boy did this car feel different than anything i had ever driven. The car felt like it turned on rails and the brake pedal felt so firm. I was enamoured by the car even though my uncle complained that it spent almost as much time at the dealership than it did in his driveway.

I think the actual moment that infatuation set in was when i got a copy of Car & Driver showcasing the E36 M3. At that moment in high school, i remember feeling fully prepared to mortgage away my future for a bimmer. Though i likely used a different term because "mortgage" wouldn't have been in my vocabulary. Needless to say, i pinned the magazine clipping up in my locker, as an official object of desire. I loved the look of all E36 models as they seemed far and away the best looking cars in magazine print and on the road. Particularly the M3 of that era struck a chord in me that has kept me interested in anything adorning the blue and white propeller logo!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #24
nrg09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda& proud of it

I knew a BMW was for me when I went to the Dallas Auto Show about 4 yrs ago I saw an M3 on display. From that day I knew I was going to own a BMW one day.

Click here to view the most horrific mod and most hilarious thread ever!!

|O /\/\ \rrrr/
|O/rrrr\ \/\/
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #25
bluesea
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E90 330i

I knew it as soon as I test drove one - An E39 528i back in 1997. I was going between that and the Mercedees E-class. I've had three E39's since then.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:23 PM   #26
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
My father bought his first BMW in 1977, a 320i. I thought it was cool and all. Then, he bought another in 1980. I never was able to drive either one. I was 6 when he bought the first one. I did, however, get to drive his E28 535is a couple of times. Okay, I thought that was cool too. I thought BMWs were cool in general by then. Then, he went through one E34 535i and then a 540i. It was probably that 540i that really set me on my road to loving BMW. It was a great balance between handling, luxury, practicality, etc. The thing that really got me is the throttle response and the power. Man, I squealed the tires accelerating away from a stop--completely by accident. Of course, I knew the steering and braking, etc. were great too.

The car that really made me love BMW was our 1991 318is. That was the car I got to drive the most. The road feel, the driving feel, everything except the power, which is admittedly lacking, was just awesome. It has been the most communicative and precise-feeling car that I've ever driven. It's just a fun, fun car to drive. Additional factors that solidified my love had to do with needing a car a couple years ago. I drove 3 series competitors. Man, none of them was "right." None of them felt right or responded quite the way I hoped for a car to respond. The ones that were closest to the way I hoped for a car to respond, well...they were E46s.

If I had the money for a new BMW at the time, I would have bought one. I really didn't want to buy a CPO. (1) I was scared re: quality issues, but maybe I shouldn't have been. (2) But the other thing was that if I were buying CPO, I would have wanted a 2002 E46 in 2003, and, therefore, I wasn't going to be saving enough of a cost savings either. (3) Besides, I wanted the car the way I wanted the car to be--not the way someone else ordered the car. I figured, who cares about the savings if the car isn't optioned out the way I want it to be? My next car will be a BMW in all likelihood. The only cars that might make me change my mind are the Porsche Cayman, Cayenne, or 911 Coupe--probably in that order.

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #27
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

Back in the 60's I fell in love with 2002. I knew then I will own an BMW. However not until 1986 I purchased my first brand new BMW 325e. After 19 years, I still have her with close to 280K mile. She still drive a new car, solidly sound, has the original clutch, engine, tranny. The only things I have replaced are brake pads, brake line, rotors, exhaust, tires, a few wheel bearings, timing belt, water pump.

Recently, without much of thinking. I took her completely apart and rebuild from the ground up. I replaced all her suspension parts, all the seals in the tranny and engine. It is been very busy, so I am not sure when I have be able to get her to on the raod. Becasue of this reason, I have been thinking to get another BMW. It is getting close.

uD
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #28
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Some really interesting stories in this thread. Good Luck getting the E30 back on the road uD. I think your car is a example of how long BMWs actually last. When my dad got rid of his E36 it was preety much the same just kept goin and goin and goin and............................................... ......................
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2005, 06:58 AM   #29
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
9 years ago i was baffled and didnt know what to buy either a merc or a bmw i test drove a merc e260 automatic and fell in love with the car instantly but then i test drove an bmw e 32 735i. After driving the bmw all my love for the merc vanished and i was definately in love with bmw, this is where my romance with bmw started. I bought the bmw 735i this car was my first girl friend for me it was the car of dreams. After having the car some years it was time to move on and i was waiting for the new bmw 5 series which was due to come out on may 02, this was something bmw delayed for another year so i bought a vw bora for the meantime until the 5 series was replaced but when the 5 series came out in july 03 i wasnt in a financial position to get the car as i had recently bought myself a house but my love for bmw was all the time growing stronger and stronger until this year when the new e90 came out that i went instantly and ordered myself one.
The love continues.