BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #45
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
When you n00bs get done with your circle jerk
Wow, you really are a bit of a Richard, aren't you?

OK, end of conversation.

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #46
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Oh snap!

It's the Turnip Truck Tag Team Throwdown!

When you n00bs get done with your circle jerk, post your track and mod experience.
I could...but I dont converse with trolling dumbasses.

You talk about satisfying our "inadequacies" with mods, n yet you blaze in here for no reason tryin to start some kind of thread fight over nothing, why?

The carbon pads perform excellently from what I can tell so far, smooth braking, more forgiving, not just JOLTing from the first hit like Ianc said, yet they are not mushy or lacking, these babies go with the huge ass brakes on this car just fine.

And btw, I happen to mod as a hobby more than anything, honestly when I bought this car I was saying to myself I would keep the modding to a minimum, but I just cant help doin a lil more, its too damn fun, specially when you see the full potential of a car like this come out with even things that arent that expensive like the pads, JB+, exhaust, etc. All n all, mods like this make this car more unique and fitting for myself, and I dont have to explain this reasoning to you, its more for everyone else to agree upon cuz I feel thats the way it is with many other modders on here.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #47
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
P.S. - Bradford, if you want to see how brakes really should feel, ask someone to let you drive one of their Porsches at the track sometime. You'll be amazed...
lmao

ummm yeah, I've definitely never driven or instructed a Porsche at the track before. NEVER. EVER.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #48
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
I could...but I dont converse with trolling dumbasses.

You talk about satisfying our "inadequacies" with mods, n yet you blaze in here for no reason tryin to start some kind of thread fight over nothing, why?

The carbon pads perform excellently from what I can tell so far, smooth braking, more forgiving, not just JOLTing from the first hit like Ianc said, yet they are not mushy or lacking, these babies go with the huge ass brakes on this car just fine.

And btw, I happen to mod as a hobby more than anything, honestly when I bought this car I was saying to myself I would keep the modding to a minimum, but I just cant help doin a lil more, its too damn fun, specially when you see the full potential of a car like this come out with even things that arent that expensive like the pads, JB+, exhaust, etc. All n all, mods like this make this car more unique and fitting for myself, and I dont have to explain this reasoning to you, its more for everyone else to agree upon cuz I feel thats the way it is with many other modders on here.
Im not trolling. It's a valid question. What do you think you are gaining by paying money to replace the stock pad in the context referenced in this thread? I see lots of replies but the intelligent ones are few and far between. Hence my lols.

What does "more forgiving" mean btw? I've never heard this used as a positive attribute for brakes...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #49
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Im gaining my happiness, im not just paying for shit on the ground, all mods found in this forum have a purpose, its not like we're installing neon lights under the car..

Was that intelligent nuff? Either way I couldnt care less, Im happy and your a douche
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #50
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
EFFECTIVE, SILENT, DUSTLESS. Choose any two.

Every couple of years, the new MIRACLE pad comes along and John Q. Retard thinks he found the Holy Grail. Explanation: John Q. Retard just fell off the turnip truck.

Spend your money how you like; it's your money. There are a LOT of things that suck on a 135i, and if you want to put your money toward fixing what ain't broke, good luck with that.

Thanks for proving that you don't know WTF you're talking about. The pads on the 135i are marginal AT BEST for any track duty, and it's been widely discussed here.

As far as the dust goes, I don't really care about it either way, but there are plenty of other manufacturers that have VERY effective brakes that don't make a lot of noise and don't generate the amount of brake dust the factory BMW pads do.

Furthermore, if you'd just articulated some sort of point, any point at all, earlier in the thread that would have been ok. You didn't though. You just made stupid little snipes without ever really saying anything, and that's why you look like an tool.

IOW, if you've got something to say, come out and say it, or just remain quiet. Spamming loll posts is for children who can't make a point.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #51
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Thanks for proving that you don't know WTF you're talking about. The pads on the 135i are marginal AT BEST for any track duty, and it's been widely discussed here.

As far as the dust goes, I don't really care about it either way, but there are plenty of other manufacturers that have VERY effective brakes that don't make a lot of noise and don't generate the amount of brake dust the factory BMW pads do.

Furthermore, if you'd just articulated some sort of point, any point at all, earlier in the thread that would have been ok. You didn't though. You just made stupid little snipes without ever really saying anything, and that's why you look like an tool.

IOW, if you've got something to say, come out and say it, or just remain quiet. Spamming loll posts is for children who can't make a point.
Hey look, it's a straw man argument!

I neither said nor implied that the stock pads are appropriate for track duty. Though I have used the stock pads on the track in a completely bone stock 135i and found them to be highly resistant to fade FOR OEM PADS on a 300+hp, 3300 pound car, they're not appropriate for serious track use. I use Hawk DTC-70s.

I'm more amused by the fact that you imply that these Cool Carbon street pads are not only miracle pads on the street, but suitable for track duty as well. And you wonder why I'm lolling.

I think my point was made with my very first post in this thread. If you're too obtuse to reach out and grasp it, I can't help you.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #52
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I'm also happy with the change. The feel is much more intuitive for me, cold stopping power is as good as stock or at least very close, and I don't have to look at the fucking dust anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #53
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey look, it's a straw man argument!

I neither said nor implied that the stock pads are appropriate for track duty. Though I have used the stock pads on the track in a completely bone stock 135i and found them to be highly resistant to fade FOR OEM PADS on a 300+hp, 3300 pound car, they're not appropriate for serious track use. I use Hawk DTC-70s.

I'm more amused by the fact that you imply that these Cool Carbon street pads are not only miracle pads on the street, but suitable for track duty as well. And you wonder why I'm lolling.

I think my point was made with my very first post in this thread. If you're too obtuse to reach out and grasp it, I can't help you.

You've made clear several times that you don't feel there's any room for improvement from the stock pads, and that's idiotic. You've got ZERO experience with the pads in question, so there's no way you can offer any kind of informed opinion on how they perform in comparision to the stock pads (in any of the three catagories you're concerned with), yet you felt the need to come in here and mouth off to everyone who DOES have some experience with them and CAN offer an informed opinion about how they compare. No one here EVER said they were miracal pads, and I know for damn sure I didn't. Please reference a quote from someone who made a statement like that.

You're nothing more than a troll with a big mouth, and I think that's painfully obvious to anyone readin this thread.

Keep lolling all you want. All it does is demonstrate exactly how worthless your opinion is. What are you 16 years old?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #54
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
You've made clear several times that you don't feel there's any room for improvement from the stock pads, and that's idiotic. You've got ZERO experience with the pads in question, so there's no way you can offer any kind of informed opinion on how they perform in comparision to the stock pads (in any of the three catagories you're concerned with), yet you felt the need to come in here and mouth off to everyone who DOES have some experience with them and CAN offer an informed opinion about how they compare. No one here EVER said they were miracal pads, and I know for damn sure I didn't. Please reference a quote from someone who made a statement like that.

You're nothing more than a troll with a big mouth, and I think that's painfully obvious to anyone readin this thread.

Keep lolling all you want. All it does is demonstrate exactly how worthless your opinion is. What are you 16 years old?
Don't be mad. Do you need a hug?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #55
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't be mad. Do you need a hug?

I'm not mad at all. Do you need a clue?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #56
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

What's the matter Bradford, can't get any respect? You sound like you're getting a little frustrated. Poor baby. Relax and enjoy life! Oh and whatever brake pads you use...no one cares.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #57
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
What's the matter Bradford, can't get any respect? You sound like you're getting a little frustrated. Poor baby. Relax and enjoy life! Oh and whatever brake pads you use...no one cares.
*cries*

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #58
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Ooooh, did I hurt your widdle feelings....?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #59
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
Ooooh, did I hurt your widdle feelings....?
Totally. I'm distraught. Literally.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #60
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Totally. I'm distraught. Literally.

lolz
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #61
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Wow, I think the original point of this thread was lost. For the record, I said I liked these pads and many things about them, but never called them a miracle pad.

To recap:

They do dust less than OEM
They squeal much less than OEM (none on my CC yet)
They work fine at auto-x, and many others have used them at the track (light track duty) with success
Most relevant to the thread: they have less initial bite, but the brake application is certainly more linear. I think we can all control our right foot, but this makes it much more predictable.

They are not full track pads, they are not miracle pads, but IMO they are better than OEM in every way so far...so why not put these on as an improvement?

Tim
      05-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #62
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

No reason, except for the price. I'd love to try them, but I think I saw... gulp... $275?

I just can't figure out any earthly reason why a set of brake pads should cost so much. Think of how much electronics you can buy for $275. It's not like these are rocket science. My 911's pads used to cost $80 and I thought that was steep...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #63
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
Oh snap!

It's the Turnip Truck Tag Team Throwdown!

When you n00bs get done with your circle jerk, post your track and mod experience.
Ok Bradford, I’ll bite. You seem to have an ego and all knowing because you are a big instructor and all. Actually I have read a lot of your posts and for the most part you are very knowledgeable and I like your posts. I think I could even like you. But then you get a wild streak in some posts (like this one) and act like a douche bag teenager. Kind of bi-polar like.

I can assure you that I am not a noob and did not fall off the turnip truck as you say. I have driven tracks in your neck of the woods like Gingerman, Putnam Park and Gratten. I have instructed with many clubs like: PCA, BMWCCA, Car Guys, Mustang Club, Corvette Museum Club, THSCC, Chin Motorsports/Track Quest and NASA etc. I have instructed at tracks like: Road Atlanta, VIR, CMP, Roebling Road, Sebring, Watkins Glen and Barber Motor Sports Park. I have owned and tracked cars like: Porsche (RS America and 986S), Corvette Z06s, WRX, Lotus Elise, and E36 M3 etc. I have used many types of race brake pads (many Hawks, Carbotechs, Raybestos, Pagids, and Porterfield, Performance Friction and EBC etc.) and probably forgotten about others. I won’t even get into mods that we know are needed for performance and reliability on the track. I even worked on a World Challange Corvette entry team awhile ago.

The point is I do have plenty of experience and I can assure you I prefer other pads for the street other than stock BMW OEM. I think as Tim stated here those attributes he mentioned pretty much sums up what they are. For the track they would not be suitable for me and I need a more aggressive pad that would hold up better. I think beginners and novices could use them fine on the track.

So people here are open minded and do like choices. What you need to understand is that your thought process is not the all mighty word of god and the only correct view point. The old adage; if you don’t have any thing nice to say … keep the old trap shut. You will gain more respect that way or a least have some thing constructive to say at the least.

Take care, I look forward to seeing you help provide knowledge here (which you certainly have), but in a more civilized manner. We know you can do it. Thanks.

Brad

Last edited by Cisitalia; 05-15-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #64
bradford
Major
Rep

I thought I exercised pretty good restraint until I was told I didn't know what I was talking about. I didn't even quote the particular parts of the thread that I was laughing at.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #65
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Quote:
I thought I exercised pretty good restraint until I was told I didn't know what I was talking about. I didn't even quote the particular parts of the thread that I was laughing at.
Yeah you probably did. LOL. I for the most part just blow off idiots and don't repond, but then again I can not refrain some times. We need to pick and choose the fights as they say. You are certainly entertaining at times.

Hey can you give us a quick synopsis of your track experience and cars you have owned and/or tracked? I am always curious about that sort of thing. Thanks.

Brad
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #66
bradford
Major
Rep

A smattering of my LOLfodder:

"you need to be operating on hot brakes for those pads to work properly." Not exactly a trait I'm looking for in a street pad

"actually it was embarrassing to drive with a squeak like that!" German brake pads all squeal. It's normal, and they even have pamphlets at the dealers explaining it so former Lexus owners don't get their panties in a bunch. Effective braking > impressing people at the bus stop

"that huge bite can get you in an accident if ur not always careful." Please head to your local DMV and turn in your license immediately.

So anyway, that's why I was laughing. Pretty benign comments on my behalf, and AFAIK voicing one's opinion is allowed and/or encouraged, no?

Then I get home after an evening of enjoying drinks with friends, and I'm told that I don't understand what the discussion is about. I'm not sure how the poster arrived at that conclusion given my limited comments in the thread. But hey, if you're going to go ad hominem, I can play that game with the best of them...
Appreciate 0