BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
dainesefreak
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82

Rear Window Defrost

Hi all

Saying hello as a new member but registered to ask a question.

The rear defrost on my 58 reg hardtop coupe doesn't seem particularly fantastic and as I only picked the car up a few days ago I wondered this was usual??

I read that the top few bars are the radio and aren't part of the heater but the whole thing seems fairly lacklustre. It sort of melts the ice slowly but takes ages to burn off properly and usually switches off before it has done a decent job of burning off most of the water/melt.

I also get a patch about 2/3rds of the way down where the wires open into a square where it doesn't really defrost. This isn't a break in the wires, it looks designed that way.

Should I be expecting this to be more dynamic? Should it really burn everything off or is this just a "feature" of this model?

Really enjoying the car, just want to know if I should be getting the dealer to sort this.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Pwalo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 118d m sport Le Mans blue 2009

Hiya, I thought mine had given up a opulent of weeks back so I pulled the fuse to check. Nothing wrong. With the fuse but suddenly the screen started working again. I assume it was a dry electrical connection on the fuse. Might not be your problem but worth a try. Also give the inside of the back screen a good wipe with a microfibre cloth to get rid of all the build up. gOod luck, best regards Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Bob Beeden
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: 120d Msport convertible

This is a good tip.
Mine was working very poorly, so I removed the fuse and wiped it with a fine wet and dry and it worked fine after that.

Try it yourselves if you have a problem, it can't hurt.

PS. I thought about doing that to all the fuses before the winter but didn't get around to it.

Safe driving.
Appreciate 0