Firthy247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M & 996 x50 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthy247 View Post
I'll check with better half and let you know if I can attend.
Can you tell us more about your DMS upgrade please?
Well I got an email off a car buff friend of mine late Tuesday night with a teasing photo just showing the headline from this weeks Evo article including the name DMS. I am fully aware of these guys as one of my other cars had been fettled by them previously.

I got curious and read the review online, it got a good write up so I fired off an Email the Wednesday evening just expressing an interest to DMS. I'm at the other end of the country so I just wondered how the whole logistical thing would work.

Anyhow they called today and as luck would have it Martin was in the area. I asked a few questions and then he said "I can do it this afternoon if you want". So I thought, yeah what the hell I'm gonna get the thing done.

I had a n54 135i before the 1m which I used as a DD and I loved it. I had the jb4 self install chip on that and this just transformed the performance of the car, but was prone to go into limp mode. It was always rectified by just stopping and restarting the engine and it didn't do it regular but when it did it was a pain.

So Martin turned up, great guy, he started the tune which he said would take about an hour so we had a coffee and a chat. We had so much car history in common it was scary and he filled me in about his job and the company.

After about a hour and a half he said right that's done, doesn't need a test drive, should be perfect. I waved him off and set off to the petrol station, he advised me to use premium fuel to after a fill up and a warm up I took it round a few back roads nearby. Needless to say, I'm still grinning.

Not done many miles yet, but the few miles I did tonight I can tell you the extra power is extremely noticeable and smooth, and the throttle response seems even sharper. I'll get a better feel tomorrow with my trip to work which is 24 miles away down country roads which I know extremely well. I've been doing the trip for 15 years!

Firthy

Last edited by Firthy247; 02-02-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
whitevancam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d & KTM300EXC

Car buff friend here.

Looking forward to my demonstration of the DMS modded 1M at the weekend, just don't reverse it through a hedge on your test track tomorrow morning, before I get a look at it!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
Firthy247
Private
Rep

Lol, hey up Steve, what you doing lurking on here!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
whitevancam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d & KTM300EXC

Just wondering if you were still grinning.

From the post above, I'd say you are :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Are the numbers being quoted at the wheels or at the crank? I don't understand how 485 ft-lbs is close to the new m5 unless you are talking wheel measured power. If so that is HUGE!

Plese forgive me but I'm not familiar with DMS, they are a tuner in UK right? What all did you add to the car for 900 pounds to give you that kind of power?

(Also, since I am asking so many questions where is the 'L' pound money sign on the keyboard? )
As far as I remember from previous threads and posts from UK, the numbers are always quoted at the crank and the online conversion I did for the 1M of Chris gave me a 664 nm of torque and he himself is telling that it is confirmed for 656 nm at two different dynos. The F10 M5 has 680 nm according to BMW AG, again at the crank. So, isn't that close? For me it is very close.

By the way, I have just checked my digital copy of EVO and in this DMS 1M drive they just loved the car, they are all for it. I am not gonna quote anything in detail or so and it is not a very long article but the DMS guys seem to confirm once gain that almost every 1M that they had at hand was around 360 hp in stock already and the EVO guys give the car a 5 out of 5 stars (like the stock 1M).

In this March issue's fast fleet the Editor Nick Trott who is with the 1M since 15,000 miles or so complain (his first to my knowledge) that the seats of 1M are not up with the rest of the car because he fails to fit himself in a perfect position. Their car is already with Michelin Pilot Super Sports because after the ECOTY the PS2s were finished, but they don't comment about the new tires yet.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 02-02-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 996 GT3 & M3M Performance

It was my car in the EVO article and there is a funny tale to tell....

Henry Catchpole was the journo that drove it and he loved the car - he rated the 1M as his choice for ECOTY. He was impressed with the throttle response without the Sport button pressed a it is much much better and makes the car better to drive - even when driving normally. But the torque delivery is savage - mine actually made 415/475, but they quoted minimum expected figures in the article so that they don't get any disappointed punters.

So back to the story....

We had parked up in the New Forest to take some static photos. Then we drove along a short stretch of road - I was tasked to keep it at 25mph, they were following on the opposite side of the road with the photographer leaning out of the passenger side taking more photos. After about 400 yards, we came to a T-junction and I did a U-turn and waited for them to do the same - but they turned right and went to turn around in a pub car park. As they did that, the car that had been right behind them as we did the photo (remember they were on the wrong side of the road with some geezer with a camera leaning out of the passenger side with no seatbelt on) followed them into the car park - turned out to be the local copper. He read them the riot act and Henry thought he was going to get 3 points on his licence - but after 20 minutes of ear bashing he got away with it. All the time, I'm waiting for them wondering what's going on.

So a narrow escape and no repeat of the same kind of photography.

Later on as we have finished and return to DMS, Henry was driving and hadn't had a great chance to really open it up - but he did on a stretch of dual carriageway - only to be followed by an Octavia VRS at a pace - he quickly pulled over and let off the gas, and the Octavia pulled up alongside...... you guessed it - it was another copper - waved his finger as to say "naughty naughty" and then blasted off.

This was Friday the 13th Jan. Henry nearly got down twice by the plod... He drove home very sensibly after these escapades as luck was not on his side....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #30
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Hmm i want to know what kind of mods you guys have on your cars im figuring to dyno a little higher than that possibly 425-430 bhp and about 380-390 wheel. I have full cattless exhaust with intercooler chargepipe intake and tune so basically full bolt ons and i was wondering whats on your car. Just got a aquamist hfs3 kit today so i should be close to 410 wheel soon and probably 450-460 bhp
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
Firthy247
Private
Rep

No mods on mine, just a tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #32
terrybGT3
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 996 GT3 & M3M Performance

The DMS remapped cars are just that at the moment - no further mods.

I believe the compression ratio is quite high on these engines, so without some internal modification there may be a limit to what you can achieve with bolt on mods..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #33
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mine is the same, just the remap. I spoke to DMS this week and they said they'd had a car in with the Akropovic exhaust on it and in their words "it sounded good but there was a little more lag with it".

Don't forget also that I think our fuel quality here in the UK may be a little higher so that could have a impact.

My dyno plot is below before and after the tune:

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #34
ruf
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
So your car makes very close to 666 nm of torque after the tune! That is hell of a (I mean literally hell) interesting and stimulating number

For too young to remember people: 666, number of the beast ... and the song goes on.

It seems I should consider tuning my 1M too ...

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #35
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
It seems I should consider tuning my 1M too ...
Cool picture. And now I know why you don't install LUX Angel Eyes.

Name:  BlackCat2.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  69.3 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 02-08-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
ruf
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Cool picture. And now I know why you don't install LUX Angel Eyes.
in fact I did !
Some days after this pic was shot ...
Appreciate 0