BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
135i Guy
Rep
Drives:

iDrive/Navigation

So, I just placed my order for a Titanium Silver 135i, which as you can imagine I'm super stoked about. I got sports package, upgraded radio, Sirius radio, and comfort access group. However, I also ordered the navigation system, which I'm starting to have second thoughts about. Of course I've already heard all the complaints about about iDrive but I'm also not sure how much I'd actually use the navigation system.

I have 15 days to change my order and I'm looking for opinions on whether I should keep the navigation or save $2100 instead. For everyone who has already placed their order, did you opt for navigation or not, and what's you reason for doing so? Right now I'm currently leaning towards deleting the option as it would drop the purchase price below 40k (which would be good for the psyche).

BTW, this will be my first BMW so any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

iDrive is great, I've got a 2008 5er with Nav Pro, and I think the system is superb. It's the same system you'll get for your 1er. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Guy, do you own a car with navigation? It's awesome. It's one of the coolest toys I've ever owned. Once you've gotten used to "never being lost" it's hard to go back. The Acura system from 2001 was simple, fairly intuitive. From playing around with a 335 with iDrive, it didn't seem to bad. But the best advice would be to stop by your local dealer, take a car out and program it for a couple of familiar points of interest and see how you feel about the experience. If you do spring the extra $2100, knowing what you get for your money will probably be good for your psyche as well.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
JAMS 135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Yes, Nav is indeed wonderful. I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 760 for $1700 less than the BMW system, to see whether I could live with a portable before locking down my 135 order. Best decision I could have made. Love the Nuvi and will spend that extra money on aftermarket accessories & upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I have an E87 130i M with Professional Nav / iDrive and it is one of the things that makes everyday use of the car such a pleasure. If I ordered the car from new I would make sure I had it again. If it helps, you are paying in USD the same as we pay in GBP for the option so think of it as a half-price deal
      12-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

My biggest dilemma is a 2100 USD factory nav vs. a decent 500 dollar aftermarket navigation.

With factory nav. you can control other car settings via Idrive, ie radio, climate and car settings through nav lcd. And there's voice command. The bell and whistle sound cool but are they really worth 1500 over?

Question: Those who owns an iDrive Nav, does it speak street name or just turn left in 500ft?
      12-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #7
Rephlex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Your call, way better than something stuck to the windscreen IMO.

It doesn't speak the street name, just turn left etc.

Edit: Sorry I'm wrong it does say main road names i.e. "in 500 metres turn left on to the M25" etc but it doesnt say turn left into Acacia Avenue.
      12-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Voice control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i Guy View Post
So, I just placed my order for a Titanium Silver 135i, which as you can imagine I'm super stoked about. I got sports package, upgraded radio, Sirius radio, and comfort access group. However, I also ordered the navigation system, which I'm starting to have second thoughts about. Of course I've already heard all the complaints about about iDrive but I'm also not sure how much I'd actually use the navigation system.

I have 15 days to change my order and I'm looking for opinions on whether I should keep the navigation or save $2100 instead. For everyone who has already placed their order, did you opt for navigation or not, and what's you reason for doing so? Right now I'm currently leaning towards deleting the option as it would drop the purchase price below 40k (which would be good for the psyche).

BTW, this will be my first BMW so any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
I went for it because I wanted to have voice control for my bluetooth phone. That's a gimmick worth something.

Also because every time you turn on the ignition the unit flips up with big B-M-W letters as the start-up screen reminding you that you have excellent taste in automobiles!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Funny thing is that is sometimes tells you the highway name.... "In 500 feet take exit right onto I-93"

I guess it does routes, but doesn't bother trying to pronounce street names.

Btw, the voice command module is included with the premium package (as part of the bluetooth option), regardless of having navigation, albeit more limited, using phone commands only. After training it to your voice, you'll be able to say "Phone Dial Bill Summers" though, or just speak a telephone number.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
ok good information on the Navi here.

You can turn the screen off when you don't need it right? I like the smooth clean look of the dash when its down, but certainly want the Navi too. So I assume you can hide it when the car is in use without the need for Navi. Can someone confirm this?

Also, I can't find a owners manual online here in the US. Their must be a UK version we can read....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You can turn off the display and/or close the bin, but you won't see the radio display then either. HVAC has separate/redundant LCD display/controls.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Funny thing is that is sometimes tells you the highway name.... "In 500 feet take exit right onto I-93"

I guess it does routes, but doesn't bother trying to pronounce street names.

Btw, the voice command module is included with the premium package (as part of the bluetooth option), regardless of having navigation, albeit more limited, using phone commands only. After training it to your voice, you'll be able to say "Phone Dial Bill Summers" though, or just speak a telephone number.
Interesting difference. You can't have voice control in Sweden without one of the nav packages.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You can turn off the display and/or close the bin, but you won't see the radio display then either. HVAC has separate/redundant LCD display/controls.
Really??? the radio display is not available on the dash? I guess there is no other display on the central console display where the spedometer is then....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's correct. My wife's Audi shows track/station information between the gauges, but BMWs do not.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

This was the last option on my mind should I or not. First I have diven a 745i and a 530i both with I drive. I found it more confusing then useful maybe becuase the one on my Acura TL was so good. With the Acura I got in the car the Navi was so easy to learn in one day of just driving. The Idrive I must say was bit annoying maybe because there was so many diffrent options a windows to look and it bothered me I had to use that knob in the center with my TL it was just touch screen and voice activation, no fu#kin knobs to twist and push etc. Plus Its one less thing that can go wrong. And you can really get a good aftermarket Navi for 500-700 bucks and as for the $2100 I will save that will go towrds some useful mods.
      12-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I am on my third BMW, first one with idrive. Idrive is easy to use, don't listen to all those critics. My problem is getting the idrive software updates. Everytime there is some problem with my car, my dealer always seems to think an update will fix the problem. The thing is it takes them days sometimes to do the updates, it gets annoying. I can't even tell you what version software they are on now, too many lost count. I will never buy another BMW with idrive, unless they do major upgrades and fullprooth the idrive system.

Also, if you plan on keeping your car past the 4/50,000 warranty, I highly suggest you DON'T get idrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
Also because every time you turn on the ignition the unit flips up with big B-M-W letters as the start-up screen reminding you that you have excellent taste in automobiles!
lol good one
      12-31-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
epecon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I am now leaning towards not getting it after talking to several persons and reading this post. I don't have an issue with the technology although I have no doubt that there are better systems out there. My issue is with the price and the fact that there are much better after market options.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #19
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epecon View Post
I am now leaning towards not getting it after talking to several persons and reading this post. I don't have an issue with the technology although I have no doubt that there are better systems out there. My issue is with the price and the fact that there are much better after market options.
I think the think is that you need to have another reason besides navigation. Especially since you lose a cup holder!

For me, it was voice control, because you have to have nav to get voice control. For others, it could be email, realtime traffic info and alternative route selection and various maintenance and other telematics that they have in other European countries (I don't know about the US). But just as a nav system, it's wildly overpriced. And as a control system, well, I can work an air conditioner and a radio perfectly well without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #20
epecon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

sethcan, your point is well taken that if I was considering it solely for the navigation option I would immediately ignore it. The integration of other options is what I have been considering in my determination of whether it is worth it. However, as you said, as a control system I can easily work an air conditioner and radio. If in the US, like in Sweden, I would miss out on voice command, then I would seriously reconsider, but as larryn mentioned, voice command is part of the premium package in the US. As a result, I essentially would end up spending about $1,600 EXTRA on a poor navigation system. Please note that I consider myself technologically inclined and I usually like to get fully loaded cars but until BMW wakes up with regards to iDrive, I almost think it is a clear negative (at least in the US).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #21
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
sethcan, your point is well taken that if I was considering it solely for the navigation option I would immediately ignore it. The integration of other options is what I have been considering in my determination of whether it is worth it. However, as you said, as a control system I can easily work an air conditioner and radio. If in the US, like in Sweden, I would miss out on voice command, then I would seriously reconsider, but as larryn mentioned, voice command is part of the premium package in the US. As a result, I essentially would end up spending about $1,600 EXTRA on a poor navigation system. Please note that I consider myself technologically inclined and I usually like to get fully loaded cars but until BMW wakes up with regards to iDrive, I almost think it is a clear negative (at least in the US).
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't get it either, if it weren't for the voice control. Though I do like the start-up screen...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #22
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Well, what I mean is, I wouldn't get in in Sweden except for voice control. But elsewhere, you can use it to read email and send live data to BMW repair. And there's something like the Onstar system as well with nav. That stuff would be worth it to me. But we don't get any of that cool stuff in Sweden. Too few cars, I guess, to make it worthwhile!
Appreciate 0