BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #45
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
They were soldiers. Soldiers fight becuause they are told to.

Have you ever hears of the draft? You act like every able-bodied man in Germany went and said I wanna go Jew hunting. That thought is ridiculous.

You should always respect a soldier. It's asshats like you that are the reason why Vietnam veterans are the bast majority of homeless people.

They are all people. And deserve your upmost respect for putting their lives on the line...no matter which side of no mans land that they fight on
soldiers fight because they are told to, you are right on that account but if something so horrible is going on, why didn't they object and leave? Thousands of people left Germany, not them though.

You need to 1. stop the name calling, you sound like a child. 2 realize that even though I see your point I don't agree with it and 3. Not talk about things about me personally that you have no idea about. You wanna come take a look while I organized my tax deductible donations and see what contribution I made to the Vietnam Vets of Illinois? Or the countless $20 handed out to guys on the street who are vets and need some warm food or a cheap overnight hotel? Don't start with me.

A good part of my family has served, much like I'm sure most peoples have these days, and many of them in wars that they didn't agree with but you're right they were told to go so they went. My Dad would have gone to Vietnam but he got lucky, however he told me he would have left the country no questions asked if he was drafted. He said he could not fight in a war he didn't believe in, so he stood by his morals and would have made a choice. I don't completely buy the whole "when your told to go you go", they are asking you to take someone else's life for a cause that you either believe in, or don't. If its the former, then you are part of the machine and believe in what you are told and in this case of what we are discussing, believing in the Nazi party - even if its not fully, but enough to kill for them. If its the latter, then they were merely puppets used by someone smarter than they were but nobody ever forced you to pull the trigger, you have to do that all by yourself and while I'm sure many Germans who served had to choose between killing others or dying themselves, its still a choice. Raised as the kind of man I am today, I could never kill an innocent person. There are ALWAYS choices to be made and if you were flying rockets for Germany, you chose to do so.

Lets also not forget that in a rocket, its not like kill or be killed, its and offensive tactic... you are seeking combat. So for that reason, no I don't have much respect for someone fighting under that "flag" so to speak. Now I'm not saying I'd hold it against them forever, but to now take an emblem of that war, that country and their purpose - to kill people... that's shameful IMO.

Continue the debate if it makes you feel better but I think its all been exhausted now.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #46
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
stickers FTW
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #47
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Someone is on a VERY high horse right now. My grandfather joined the AF to avoid the Korean War draft. I'm not sure if I could be proud of him if he instead LEFT the country. It's called being a citizen. You can't just country hop when you don't agree with............you know what, I'm not even gonna get pulled into this. I think we all see eachothers points. However off to some they may be.

I hope that political views do not tear down the bond that our 1er's have created. After all, that's the beauty of our forum right? Different people sharing an interest? Let's not judge others by something we know to be a personal bias.
Forgoe the temptation to start building walls within what is already a small community.

And please be anti-war, not anti-soldier.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold

Last edited by HondaGoneRogue; 02-10-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #48
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Someone is on a VERY high horse right now. My grandfather joined the AF to avoid the Korean War draft. I'm not sure if I could be proud of him if he instead LEFT the country. It's called being a citizen. You can't just country hop when you don't agree with............you know what, I'm not even gonna get pulled into this. I think we all see eachothers points. However off to some they may be.

I hope that political views do not tear down the bond that our 1er's have created. After all, that's the beauty of our forum right? Different people sharing an interest? Let's not judge others by something we know to be a personal bias.
Forgoe the temptation to start building walls within what is already a small community.

And please be anti-war, not anti-soldier.
No high horse here, just know what I believe and stick to it passionately.

However, I will clear something up.

I realize I might have initially came off as being anti soldier, which I am far from. I want to just qualify it with the fact that when it was painted in such a light that shaking said German pilots hand was somewhat of an honor, like "thanks so much for what you do" as we do to a lot of our own soldiers. That to me is a little out of whack under those circumstance and though I wouldn't hate the guy if I met him today, I certainly wouldn't honor him for what he did in opposition to my country. How am I'm supposed to thank someone who was a part of (even if it wasn't them personally) for killing not only 10 million people but probably some of my countrymen and possibly even friends (Allies)? I don't see that POV to be honest and I don't think I ever will.

But again, I'm done... shoulda unsubscribed in the 1st place. Politics never plays out well on the forums, you are correct, but its hard to ignore it when it makes its way into our forums and in this case onto some members actual cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #49
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I should clarify also. I don't shake their hands because what I think what they dis wa right and I don't do it as a thank you.

I shake their hand because they deserve it. As in a holy crap I wish I could be as brave as you kinda way

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
soldiers fight because they are told to, you are right on that account but if something so horrible is going on, why didn't they object and leave? .
I'm taking it that you never served. Once you are in, it is almost impossible to leave, and most that joined had no idea what was really going on. Not to mention the fact that the majority of soldiers were fed false internal propaganda to make them think that they were on the right side, and doing good for the world. Short of the Soviet Union, the Nazi regime had quite possibly the most effective propaganda office that has ever existed. Any news that the soldiers got was first approved by Goebbels first. I would wager that 99% of the ground troops had no idea that the Jews were being systematically exterminated. Most were fed the same info that the Allies and Jews themselves were fed. They were being shipped out of the country, or held in prison camps until after the war.
      02-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #51
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
stop watching Finding Forester... the white propeller/blue sky story is just a myth. its just the colors of bavaria, the region BMW was born from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
haha your right, Its a myth..

This link is better and explains it all!! interesting.

http://www.bmwrocketscience.com/upload/roundel-myth.pdf
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #52
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Well damn i think i want this stiker..

I want it w/out the white background however. can that be done or is it possible to trim it off with a razor blade??

Thanks
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #53
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
Well damn i think i want this stiker..

I want it w/out the white background however. can that be done or is it possible to trim it off with a razor blade??
Romak,

You would have to trim it with a razor knife of some type. If you're interested, PM me, although I would have to find out what the postage to DE would be. They fit in a normal envelope, so not too expensive I shouldn't think...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0