BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
imported_Maurice
Not too sexy for his car.
Rep
Drives:

I'm really psyched to think of a car that is comparable performance-wise to a WRX STI but will be more civilized and refined. It will also be easier to access its performance potential! I can hardly wait until my car comes in!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Great read. Tires make such a difference and for sure the 135i would post better numbers (slalom, acceleration, braking, g force, etc.) without runflats and something at least equivalent to what tire the Subie wears. Most motorcycle mags place the same tire on the bikes with they do comparos. Eliminates that major variable from the equation. I'd like to see a comparison between the 135i and the new M3 with both cars wearing the same rubber as the M3 gets. I'm guessing that the gap would close considerably.
      03-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #25
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amulett View Post
Modern, no... We had a Z3 (RIP) that was absolutely horrid IMO. Your comparison between winter driving in an A4 and modern BMW is comforting. Did the A4 have winter tires as well?
The A4 has all seasons on it (Kumhos), and does well. The e90 330i has blizzaks on it, and I think it might even do better than the Audi. I wouldn't hesitate to take either out in all but the worst blizzardly weather. (you still have to know how to drive in the snow with any vehicle/tire combo).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amulett View Post
Modern, no... We had a Z3 (RIP) that was absolutely horrid IMO.
Did your Z3 have the stock Pilot MXM rubber? The one time mine accidentally got caught in 2~3" of snow, it would accelerate up to 2 mph in reverse on level ground but wouldn't move forward at all! OTOH, my E46 with proper winter tires does just fine - recognizing that we get less snow than you.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
My guess is that they did not weigh it then. :iono:

If I can get a a confirmation that I can pick it up tomorrow, I'll go down to the sand and gravel weigh station and see for myself. Advevo already weighed his 135i, and it was 3300lbs w/full tank, 3218lbs empty.
Anyboby that has taken delivery already should be able to check their Certificate of Origin for the listed net weight.
I assume that would be accurate.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #28
hooner35
Make every day a great 1!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [9.87]
I too, was debating between STI and 135i for a long time. I don't have to look back now. That's awsome.
Thanks, Edmunds.
      03-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #29
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
The Evo wasn't mentioned once in the entire article. Also the 135i and the STi put up almost identical numbers in every category that they mentioned so saying that either one is "superior" is a little biased. But hey, this is a BMW site.
For the Evo, I was refering to this Edmunds test: http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...ticleId=124209

The STI and 135i post similar handling numbers, with a slight edge going to the 135i in the slalom.

The 135i brakes noticeably better, and accelerates noticably better. 2mph of trap speed is a noticable difference, that generally equates to 2 car lengths in a 30-100 race. Perhaps more in this case, given the STI's tendancy to fall on it's face at high speeds.

Based on these numbers, it's indubitably superior to the Evo X, and edges out the STI.

All I'm saying, is that this will silence certain fanboys on this and other sites that have said that the Evo and STI "perform better". This is simply not true. Infact, the opposite is true.

The only advantage they offer over the 135i is more doors, and better traction in the snow. The performance arguement has been thrown out the window.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #30
Amulett
Dreamer
Rep
Drives:

Yes Tom, at the time they were stockers. Those stock tires were so terrible for that car IMO. They really made me wonder wth they were thinking.

And Larry, I wholeheartedly agree that one really does need to know how to drive in snow. My current setup on the quattro TT is Blizzaks also. They're a nice, reasonably priced tire for snow. They were my first dedicated snow tire and have done well enough to convince me that it's a useful purchase on all future cars. Although I'm the guy who enjoys going out in all of the weather where people in trucks even look at me funny. But that's what TT stands for -- tiny truck.

Regardless, I'll reserve judgement until a test drive. Stellar non-snow performance can make up for average snow performance.
      03-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #31
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

That part of the Edmunds review was glowing. Unfortunately, no one had posted the next page of the review with the second opinion that isn't as positive.

Lead Senior Editor Ed Hellwig says:
I would find it hard to buy a BMW 135i. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant package — one of the best BMWs I've driven in some time. It's fast in a straight line, rips corners and is nicely finished throughout. More importantly, there's never any sense from behind the wheel that it's somehow a lesser BMW. All the materials are high quality, it seems as solid as a 7 Series and the interior feels spacious despite the small exterior dimensions. In fact, its size is often a plus when it comes to squeezing into traffic or tight parking spaces.

So why would I hesitate? Because the BMW 335i coupe is only $5,000 more. Yeah, that's not exactly chump change, but if you can afford $35K for a car, is $40K really that much of a stretch? Maybe, but I would make it. For the extra $5 grand I would get a coupe that's not only better-looking, it would lack the stigma of being BMW's "entry-level" car. Sure, the 335i coupe was the entry-level coupe until the 1 Series came along, but it never looked like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #32
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
That part of the Edmunds review was glowing. Unfortunately, no one had posted the next page of the review with the second opinion that isn't as positive.

I would find it hard to buy a BMW 135i. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant package — one of the best BMWs I've driven in some time. It's fast in a straight line, rips corners and is nicely finished throughout. More importantly, there's never any sense from behind the wheel that it's somehow a lesser BMW. All the materials are high quality, it seems as solid as a 7 Series and the interior feels spacious despite the small exterior dimensions. In fact, its size is often a plus when it comes to squeezing into traffic or tight parking spaces.

So why would I hesitate? Because the BMW 335i coupe is only $5,000 more. Yeah, that's not exactly chump change, but if you can afford $35K for a car, is $40K really that much of a stretch? Maybe, but I would make it. For the extra $5 grand I would get a coupe that's not only better-looking, it would lack the stigma of being BMW's "entry-level" car. Sure, the 335i coupe was the entry-level coupe until the 1 Series came along, but it never looked like it.
I'm really glad he said that. Many people feel that way and its fine and dandy. What he dosent realize is that not everyone wants a car as big as the 335i. Most of want a small and tidy package. I'm glad he pointed out that many that can afford the 135i could swing a 335i. Too bad he wouldnt look deeper into why were all in awe about the car. The slightly lower pricing is just a perk.
      03-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #33
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Red135i.. that's a very good point to make. I think most of the 135i people on this site are here because they know about the 335i, but want the 135i more. That's the case for me, and I've read that same thing from others here numerous times.

I'm thinking a lot of people will view my car as the "entry level" BMW. I could care less. I don't buy these cars for what other people will think, with one caveat. It's nice to not have people at work be all uppity when finding out their fellow worker bought a new BMW. I call sell it as the new "entry level, below the 3"... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #34
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

He makes a good point. If I wanted to buy a car just for image and cache, the 335i would be a better choice. However, I'm buying it for performance and fun, where the 135i is better.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #35
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:

The main review caters to enthusiast drivers. The second review that you posted caters towards individuals that focus on looks and prestige.

You will mainly find the first group on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #36
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:

Hopefully these sort of statements will help keep some of the "posers" away. I'd like to think that most of my fellow buyers are doing it for the right reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #37
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
It's a trick that's being played by lighting on the surface of the face of the car, making it appear a bit distorted. I see it a bit too. It almost makes it appear as if they used photoshop to remove some lens distortion, and it cause some unintended curvature.
Must be the California sunshine. It is pretty bright!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #38
me1.0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
The main review caters to enthusiast drivers. The second review that you posted caters towards individuals that focus on looks and prestige.

I agree.

I would also make the 2nd reviewer's point in reverse. I don't care what others think of my car, they definately aren't going to be driving it. Also, why spend $5000 for what I don't want: a bigger car with a lesser suspension system and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #39
JOe335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R32-08STI-e92335i

umm it handles great? dont get me wrong, but how many of us do change of direction many times over the same action? the salom test isnt real world. i am a bit surprised that the 135i isnt able to outrun the 335i in the G factor as that is the more real world testing. i am also surprised that from 60-0 the 135i with almost 200 less weight and the o so nice 6 pot brakes were only 5 feet better, and 0 feet better from 30? what gives?

im sorry guys but im gonna get another 335i for my wife. the 135i has better brakes (from 60 at least) and changes direction quicker, but is a tad slower and a about 2mph slower down the 1/4 , and it handles just aswell at the edge as the 335i? did anyone look at the lease rates for the 135i? the sound alone in the 335i twine dual exhaust gets me excited and the backseat room are gonna be handy via coupe or sedan.

135i
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #40
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Please provide an extensive list of cars quicker than 72.4-mph in the slalom and stop in 109ft 60-0. The latteral grip isn't astounding because of the stock run-flats, but that's an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #41
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Slalom is a much more real world test of the chassis than skid pad. It measures agility instead of tires. You could stick hoosiers on a Honda Accord, and it would pull well over 1g. Skidpad tests how well you can drive in a circle, mostly dependant on tires. Slalom tests agility and poise.

As for braking, it's testament to it's raw braking power that it out-brakes the 335i with MUCH less tire, the big limiting factor for braking.

Slower? What do you mean? Same power, less weight=Faster. I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I haven't seen anything to suggest that the 1'er won't be faster than the 3er. It's physics.

That said, if you're leasing, get a G37, better value.

Honestly, I'd take the 135i if it was the same cost as the 335i. It's better in every way, except for back seat room, and bling factor. I don't really care about either, and a 3 series isn't exactly big bling factor anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #42
GTS Jeff
I wanna be a douchebag
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post

Typical BMW douchebag attitude to care about being seen as "entry level."
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #43
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Well, that certainly doesn't make my wait seem any shorter.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #44
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iM3krai View Post
umm it handles great? dont get me wrong, but how many of us do change of direction many times over the same action? the salom test isnt real world. i am a bit surprised that the 135i isnt able to outrun the 335i in the G factor as that is the more real world testing. i am also surprised that from 60-0 the 135i with almost 200 less weight and the o so nice 6 pot brakes were only 5 feet better, and 0 feet better from 30? what gives?

im sorry guys but im gonna get another 335i for my wife. the 135i has better brakes (from 60 at least) and changes direction quicker, but is a tad slower and a about 2mph slower down the 1/4 , and it handles just aswell at the edge as the 335i? did anyone look at the lease rates for the 135i? the sound alone in the 335i twine dual exhaust gets me excited and the backseat room are gonna be handy via coupe or sedan.

135i
Can I ask what you were expecting? A supercar? I thought everybody understood it will likely be a bit better performing than the 335i, not a lot, which it is. It's also known it's a bit smaller, and about $5k cheaper. :iono:

On one hand you fault it for steering well in the slalom, asking how many people will do that (even if you don't autocross, the slalom also simulates emergency steering that can upset the car). On the other hand you mention the 335i is faster in the 1/4 mile (which is isn't). Using your own logic, is your wife doing to the drag strip any time soon?

Again, what were you expecting? You've known the 1er had one muffler since you joined, and you had to have known the back seat would be smaller.:iono:
Appreciate 0