BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Anyone have corrosion on wheel hubs/brakes?

Just wondering if anyone else here has or had problems with their wheel hubs corroding, either from the car sitting outside in the elements or otherwise. My car has some bad oxidation on all 4 wheel hubs, particularly the left and right rear. It was a May '08 build car that I bought from a dealer in the snow belt in late February, and the corrosion was on the car when I took delivery of it. I flew in from out of state to pick the car up, and unfortunately didn't have the time to check the car really carefully when I got it.

I'm just wondering:

1. If anyone else has noticed this and its a common issue. I expect it may be for folks that are up north, and the wheel hubs are a problem area because they don't receive any corrosion protection when they're produced.

2. If it's reasonable for me to ask the selling dealer and/or BMWNA to correct the problem, or if this is considered inevitable, ordinary wear and tear that I shouldn't worry about. FWIW I did send an e-mail to the selling dealer after I got the car home, washed it, and determined it would not come off in detailing. The only reason it bothers me is that it is unsightly, particularly looking at the car from within a few feet.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Maine1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235xi

I know what you are talking about. It is part of the normal rusting process that I'm sure is accelerated by the road salt that we have to deal with during northern winters. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to spray paint them with some kind of high temperature silver metallic paint. If so, I'd like to see some pictures!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

It's normal, more so if you are in a cold and damp area, or a warm and humid area, or a ....It's normal. Go look at new cars on the lot, and you will see it on them. it does not harm....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

I havent had any crosion problems. I live on the coast too. So maybe you just have bad luck?
      04-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

I've never had a car that didn't have the corrosion you speak of. Different brands of rotors do not solve the problem... I would guess that possibly a zinc coating could help, or as others mentioned, some sort of paint.

It's really not that bad if you just ignore it.
      04-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

I have some rust on inner part of the rims. Just noticed it upon last washing. Seems to have got worse during the winter even tho garage.
They'll probably laugh if you complain.
Hey we all age!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Yes, I have it too. I've had this on all my cars, especially after sitting unused for a couple of days or more.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Yes, I have it too. I've had this on all my cars, especially after sitting unused for a couple of days or more.

Same here. Just on the rotor hats. Perfectly normal.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Are you talking of the actual hub face, where the lug bolts screw into, or do you mean more like the rotor hats?

If it is the hub face, was there not a coating of grease or anti-seize on them, between the hub face and the wheel? My cars seem to all have that, and so I replentish it when the wheels are off. Copper high-temp anti sieze, in a very thin layer, should protect and also aid in heat transfer from the rotor to the wheel.

If it is the rotor hat, I'd just get some high temperature paint on it. Best method is to remove the rotors, and then mask the friction areas, and spray the hat itself. Id also consider lightly and carefully brushing it on. Worst you can do is do it wrong, and then use some thinner, remove the paint, and do it again.

There are also anti-rust compounds designed for guns, EEZOX is one that comes to mind,which you can surely apply to protect the surfaces. Apply it right, and youll never know it is there.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Are you talking of the actual hub face, where the lug bolts screw into, or do you mean more like the rotor hats?

If it is the hub face, was there not a coating of grease or anti-seize on them, between the hub face and the wheel? My cars seem to all have that, and so I replentish it when the wheels are off. Copper high-temp anti sieze, in a very thin layer, should protect and also aid in heat transfer from the rotor to the wheel.

If it is the rotor hat, I'd just get some high temperature paint on it. Best method is to remove the rotors, and then mask the friction areas, and spray the hat itself. Id also consider lightly and carefully brushing it on. Worst you can do is do it wrong, and then use some thinner, remove the paint, and do it again.

There are also anti-rust compounds designed for guns, EEZOX is one that comes to mind,which you can surely apply to protect the surfaces. Apply it right, and youll never know it is there.
What he said

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
One thing what was noted about the 1 hubs on the latest Edwards blog was that the hubs seem to have no anticorrosion treatment at all and appeared surprisingly rusty to them when they were inspecting the suspension.