BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
alphagamma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX, 2011 1-series M

Adaptive headlight error and Angel Eye mods

I was researching Angel Eye mods, specifically LED bulbs, and feel there is a correlation between swapping the LED bulbs and adaptive headlight error. I also noticed that there were many 1-series headlights that had condensation build up on the inside of the headlight, including stock ones.

I was wondering if it's possible that the exposed circuitry on the LED builb, coupled with the condensation build-up, created a short-circuit that affected the adaptive headlight motor. Is this plausible? If so, can manufacturers produce an LED with no circuitry exposed?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

nope.

adaptive headlight failures are the result of poor installs. the ballasts get in the way and stop the headlights from turning. if you want a no-brainer, get the bms(??) bulbs that don't have ballasts. I have the lux v3 + velcro holding the ballasts in place and it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
alphagamma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX, 2011 1-series M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
nope.

adaptive headlight failures are the result of poor installs. the ballasts get in the way and stop the headlights from turning. if you want a no-brainer, get the bms(??) bulbs that don't have ballasts. I have the lux v3 + velcro holding the ballasts in place and it's all good.
I originally thought it was a result of poor installs, namely the ballasts getting in the way, but it seems like people have reported doing the installs correctly and still having errors.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
ENZO-
HUSTLE.... HARD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535I

No problems here! I have the Lux V3 with 3m double sided tape holding the ballast in place.
RIP : 2003 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
if you want a no-brainer, get the bms(??) bulbs that don't have ballasts.
BMS bulbs have ballasts.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamma View Post
I originally thought it was a result of poor installs, namely the ballasts getting in the way, but it seems like people have reported doing the installs correctly and still having errors.
I am with you buddy. I have seen way too many posts on how someone installs new (brighter or differnt temp) AE bulbs - only a week or two later to report how they have condensation and/or a adaptive headlight failure.

The factory headlights are so much $$$ to replace IF your dealer refuses to replace them under the warranty your screwed. Plus inside the headlights is a circuit board that can also get damaged due to water/condensation.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
BMS bulbs have ballasts.
Yes but they are very small. There are some AEs that have very large ballasts the size of hockey pucks.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FINANCE View Post
No problems here! I have the Lux V3 with 3m double sided tape holding the ballast in place.
Same here, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
deim
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i M-Sport, '11 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Same here, no issues.
+1. Had a problem on passenger side after install. Fixed later by adjusting the position of power block, and for a month now - no problems, no errors.
3M double-sided velcro is holding just fine!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
+1....my gasket failed, in other words would not seal properly due to age (?). I avoid high pressure washes since my headlight was replaced. My passenger side is still the original.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I was researching Angel Eye mods, specifically LED bulbs, and feel there is a correlation between swapping the LED bulbs and adaptive headlight error. I also noticed that there were many 1-series headlights that had condensation build up on the inside of the headlight, including stock ones.

I was wondering if it's possible that the exposed circuitry on the LED builb, coupled with the condensation build-up, created a short-circuit that affected the adaptive headlight motor. Is this plausible? If so, can manufacturers produce an LED with no circuitry exposed?

Here is the latest victum...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668194
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
Hambone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 TiAg 135i

Quote:
nope.

Waking up an old thread, but I was looking at the headlights and I don't see how any ballast could affect the movement of the adaptive headlights motor. The motor installs just as the H8s do, in a twisty socket. The part that goes into the slot has a stem with a ball on it (much like an electric razor / hair clippers do) which slides into a hole to lock in place with the headlamp. It's this stem which does all the movement, none of which is exposed in the backside of the headlight housing unit where the ballast is to sit. Does anyone with a more intimate knowledge of the design of the headlight housing unit have any insight on this?

2009 TiAg 135i 6MT - Custom AST 5100 coilovers with Swift springs, Cobb Tuning, DCI, ER FMIC/CP, Tial BOV, AR Design Catted Downpipes, Berk Full Street Exhaust, BMW OEM Performance Rear Spoiler, BMW Black Kidney Grilles
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
Hambone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Waking up an old thread, but I was looking at the headlights and I don't see how any ballast could affect the movement of the adaptive headlights motor. The motor installs just as the H8s do, in a twisty socket. The part that goes into the slot has a stem with a ball on it (much like an electric razor / hair clippers do) which slides into a hole to lock in place with the headlamp. It's this stem which does all the movement, none of which is exposed in the backside of the headlight housing unit where the ballast is to sit. Does anyone with a more intimate knowledge of the design of the headlight housing unit have any insight on this?
I'll try to take photos tomorrow so it's a bit clearer what exactly I'm talking about - but these are basically simple stepper motors which I use on a daily basis in the lab, and the backside of these motors (the power and drive unit) is all that's exposed to the ballast, which is very robust. It cannot impede the function of the stepper motor ball-joint by "blocking" it. But I'm wondering if the casing for these motors is the exposed drives, rotating freely and exposed, or if it's an actual protective casing. Pictures to follow.

Edit: Found a picture online. The backside of the motor, which is exposed, is the grey portion. Does anyone know if these are exposed drives or a casing?

Name:  adaptive_motor copy.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  82.4 KB

2009 TiAg 135i 6MT - Custom AST 5100 coilovers with Swift springs, Cobb Tuning, DCI, ER FMIC/CP, Tial BOV, AR Design Catted Downpipes, Berk Full Street Exhaust, BMW OEM Performance Rear Spoiler, BMW Black Kidney Grilles

Last edited by Hambone; 05-06-2012 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: carifying question
Appreciate 0