BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

The exhaust manifold feeds the two small turbos and they in turn feed the large turbo.

Here's how I envision this working....

Full throttle throughout.

From idle, the small turbo wastegates close, VTG goes to minimum diameter, and the small turbos spool up and provide boost. The large turbo's wastegate is fully open to avoid restricting the small turbos.

As the revs rise, the small turbo's VTG starts to increase it's diameter to maintain the proper turbine speed. Large turbo still not engaged at all.

At the point where the small turbos run out of breath, the large turbo's wastegate closes and it's VTG goes to minimum diameter. Small turbos wastegates begin to open.

Large turbo is up to speed and as it's boost pressure rises, the small turbos wastegates open fully to preserve the exhaust's energy for the large turbo and to cease providing boost to the engine.

Towards redline, the large turbo increases it's VTG diameter to maintain proper turbine speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Would it be possible to build a 1M car with a diesel engine that is as fun? I know its offensive idea to many. But the mileage and monster torque... Need some sound engineering I do agree. But I actually really like the thought. Even if you start throwing hard things at me! :-)
Your original question was that engine in the 1M. I said no.

However...

...Diesel in an M car? Sure.

Why? Well... BMW was the first manufacturer to win a major 24h race with a diesel. LONG before Audi ever woke up.

A 1er diesel won the worlds hardest endurance championship.

In Germany, there are a number of successful rallye and race diesel BMWs.

Are these cars fun to drive? Sure they are. And fast. Back in the days that I had my M346, I used to state, that I would have loved THAT car (including the SMG) with a 3L TT diesel.

I just wouldn't want that big and heavy of an engine as the 50d in a 1M shell.

Correct the balance a little (i.e. by using a transaxle gearbox, which would work better in a diesel anyhow) and a diesel can power a seriously fast fun car without problems. There is just one single country in the world that is yet to understand that.
      02-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
God I am so addicted to this engine and its technical complexity. BMW needs to release some sort of video or animation showing how this system works!!!!

Here is the PS(HP) and Torque curves...

Displacement: 2,993 cc,
output: 280 kW/381 hp at 4,000 – 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) at 2,000 – 3 000 rpm,
Name:  M-Diesel-Triturbo-M550d-M50d-Drehmoment-Leistungs-Diagramm.jpg
Views: 3685
Size:  66.4 KB

and here is BMW AG's press document on the new M_Performance sport line diesels. Sorry its only available in German(so far). Be sure to check out pages 42 and 36 for the M550d engine specs.

Die_BMW_M_Performance_Automobile.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

So it will redline about 4800 rpms it looks like? Pretty impressive. I think my diesel truck revs to something like 3200. I wonder what the highest reving production deisel out there is?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

The rev-range is nothing spectacular. The Citroen CX (1977 through 89 - off the top of my head) already almost reached these revs (4.500rpm max). Over 30 years ago.

I would assume, that one of the 'downsized' 3-cylinder engines will be the ones with the highest revs.
      02-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #28
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Here is the PS(HP) and Torque curves...

Displacement: 2,993 cc,
output: 280 kW/381 hp at 4,000 – 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) at 2,000 – 3 000 rpm,
Attachment 638653

and here is BMW AG's press document on the new M_Performance sport line diesels. Sorry its only available in German(so far). Be sure to check out pages 42 and 36 for the M550d engine specs.

Attachment 638654
Dat torque.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
dieselspeed
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Your original question was that engine in the 1M. I said no.

However...

...Diesel in an M car? Sure.

Why? Well... BMW was the first manufacturer to win a major 24h race with a diesel. LONG before Audi ever woke up.

A 1er diesel won the worlds hardest endurance championship.

In Germany, there are a number of successful rallye and race diesel BMWs.

Are these cars fun to drive? Sure they are. And fast. Back in the days that I had my M346, I used to state, that I would have loved THAT car (including the SMG) with a 3L TT diesel.

I just wouldn't want that big and heavy of an engine as the 50d in a 1M shell.

Correct the balance a little (i.e. by using a transaxle gearbox, which would work better in a diesel anyhow) and a diesel can power a seriously fast fun car without problems. There is just one single country in the world that is yet to understand that.

Hello, I am the owner from dieselspeed.
The E46 Diesel on the picture, its my car. We drive with the 535d Engine (272HP) with 374HP and 750 Torque.
Does you have questions, I will help you.
Sorry for my English.
Günter
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #30
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselspeed View Post
Hello, I am the owner from dieselspeed.
Ich weiss Günter. Ich hab Euren Autos in der VLN schon ab und zu mal mit meinem 325 im Weg rumgestanden.
      02-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
dieselspeed
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ich weiss Günter. Ich hab Euren Autos in der VLN schon ab und zu mal mit meinem 325 im Weg rumgestanden.

Du hast uns im Weg gestanden? Glaube ich nicht, ich kann mich an niemanden erinnern der uns im Weg gestanden ist. Wenn wir schneller waren, sind wir vorbei gefahren.
Wer bist Du denn?

Gruß
Günter
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #32
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

@Günter: Peter. 325, V4, "Prinzessin Lillifee", ehemals Startnummer 555. Diese Saison wieder am Ring, allerdings in der RCN.

02-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
dieselspeed
Germany
Rep

Quote:
@Günter: Peter. 325, V4, "Prinzessin Lillifee", ehemals Startnummer 555. Diese Saison wieder am Ring, allerdings in der RCN.

Einar ist ja auch mal bei Euch gefahren.
Netter Kerl, er ist bei uns in Dubai auf der Corvette gefahren.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #34
Onehp
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: GT86+

Quote:
God I am so addicted to this engine and its technical complexity. BMW needs to release some sort of video or animation showing how this system works!!!!
Here you go

Quote:
The exhaust manifold feeds the two small turbos and they in turn feed the large turbo.

Here's how I envision this working....

Full throttle throughout.

From idle, the small turbo wastegates close, VTG goes to minimum diameter, and the small turbos spool up and provide boost. The large turbo's wastegate is fully open to avoid restricting the small turbos.

As the revs rise, the small turbo's VTG starts to increase it's diameter to maintain the proper turbine speed. Large turbo still not engaged at all.

At the point where the small turbos run out of breath, the large turbo's wastegate closes and it's VTG goes to minimum diameter. Small turbos wastegates begin to open.

Large turbo is up to speed and as it's boost pressure rises, the small turbos wastegates open fully to preserve the exhaust's energy for the large turbo and to cease providing boost to the engine.

Towards redline, the large turbo increases it's VTG diameter to maintain proper turbine speed.
Good try, but quite wrong. I too am very much fascinated of this engineering masterpiece.
Idle-1500rpm: basically single VNT turbo operation (right one) Inlet air always flows through the large turbo compressor.
1500-2700rpm: exhaust gasses are going to the large (non-VNT) turbos turbine, adding boost to the small 1st turbo already working untill it saturates
2700-5400rpm: the second VNT turbo comes in to take the flow from the large compressor, and from here on all three turbo's sing to 5400rpm (previous biturbos only had the large one going once the small turbo saturated and was cut out). Two VNT's in the small turbos secure excellent throttle response.

Also, it seems this engine uses a top mounted water cooled IC, so no piping to the front, less volume, less flex, higher efficiency and therefore excellent response (alike the F10 M5).

What an engine

Oh and on the X-drive: apparently BMW did their best to make it handle predictably with a very clear rwd bias...

(Did I mention I want a M150d?)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Terrible idea in my opinion - let's make the car heavier and understeering so it can beat a couple of audi's in a straight line sprint from a dig? I pass.
Appreciate 0