BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

First out of warranty service woes

My car's four-year anniversary was this past June. At that point I had barely 45k miles on the car but I wanted to get one last free service so I brought it in in May, a month before the warranty expired. They said they couldn't give me the full 45k service yet cause I wasn't due for it and so BMW wouldn't pay for it, so I asked them to give me what they could. They gave me... a free oil change :-/.

Now, 4 months, I had a headlight go out so I brought it in to get it fixed. Headlight cost $37.40 plus 1/2 hour labor @$126.25/hour. Total was about $100 which is guess wasn't that bad.

But, I found out I was due for a ton of other service (as I am at 45k now) and so I told them to do. New sparkplugs, brake fluid flush, and 2 airfilter replacements (intake silencer and microfilter) cost an additional $600!

The ironic thing is had I simply driven my car more earlier this year, that would have all been free.

On the plus side, I had a cracked rear brake light (on the trunk) that they replaced for free. That light should have been recalled though anyways, as it is a POS (my brother has had to have his replaced 3 times already on his 1).
      09-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Honestly, you got overcharged for a lot of that. Picking up an owners manual or reading on here, you could have done all of that yourself and saved a ton of money. A headlight would take you 30 mins, if you have no mechanical ability at all. The airfilters and plugs are easy as well. Brake fluid flush (not really required) is a little more difficult. But next time, search the forums and try it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
GotM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT

The service is still less expensive than a new car.

I am sure the 'free' service is all part of what we pay for the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Hopefully, this will not be the beginning of lots of threads about out of warranty repair horror stories. Mine is out of warranty also.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
My car's four-year anniversary was this past June. At that point I had barely 45k miles on the car but I wanted to get one last free service so I brought it in in May, a month before the warranty expired. They said they couldn't give me the full 45k service yet cause I wasn't due for it and so BMW wouldn't pay for it, so I asked them to give me what they could. They gave me... a free oil change :-/.

Now, 4 months, I had a headlight go out so I brought it in to get it fixed. Headlight cost $37.40 plus 1/2 hour labor @$126.25/hour. Total was about $100 which is guess wasn't that bad.

But, I found out I was due for a ton of other service (as I am at 45k now) and so I told them to do. New sparkplugs, brake fluid flush, and 2 airfilter replacements (intake silencer and microfilter) cost an additional $600!

The ironic thing is had I simply driven my car more earlier this year, that would have all been free.

On the plus side, I had a cracked rear brake light (on the trunk) that they replaced for free. That light should have been recalled though anyways, as it is a POS (my brother has had to have his replaced 3 times already on his 1).
When you say headlight, what light are your talking about. You have a 135 so you have the HIDs. YOu had an HID bulb go out? If they replaced that for 126$ i can understand but if your talking about an angel eye went out, you got ridiculously raped. The other services are like 250$ max somewhere other than a BMW dealer and even that is too much. All simple DIYs and the break fluid could wait if you didnt want to get dirty.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Seems to me that the brake fluid change and the filters should have been covered under the free maintenance plan at the time they did the oil change based upon time rather than mileage.
      10-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I had an angel eye go out. $37.40 for a bulb doesn't seem that bad and a half hour of labor. Half of $126.25 is ~63, so almost exactly $100 total.

With my previous car (Audi TT), I did a lot of the maintenance myself, including replacing the sparkplugs. But I live in the city now and I park on the street. There is nowhere I could actually perform this maintenance. It is much easier to take it to the dealer.

I agree that it should have all been done the last time I brought it in under warranty but it doesn't work like that. I asked for the service to be performed but they said because I only had 40k miles on it at the time they could not do anything but an oil change because otherwise BMW wouldn't reimburse them for the work.
      11-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Wow. 37$ for a 4$ bulb and half hour of labor. Straight stealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
KrisM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '10 LMB 135i M-Sport

Use this as a lesson to find a good indy or DIY next time.
      12-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Newby
1Mtech
Rep
Drives: BMW

Saying brake fluid isn't required is just stupid, changing brake fluid is important part of keeping your braking system operating correctly.

Unfortunatly tho, you hit the nail on the head. If you had driven your car more It would have been done. BMW service plan will only cover the items when they are due.

Some of the others are right, microfilter, air cleaner are easy change. IMO these items are something you can inspect and possibly "blow out" if they arent too dirty
Appreciate 0