E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Options Advice

07-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #45
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
To me the 3-series is a luxury sports sedan. And although I try to go to track as often as I could, e.g. every 1 or 2 months, all other days it's used as a city driver.

As such, I prefer to load the car up with convenience features. So, I'd take

must haves:
zpp- too many features to ignore
zsp -the sports seats alone are worth the price of admission
steptronic - convenient w/o sacrifising the fun factor
comfort access - again, too much benefit to ignore
nav/idrive - another must have. nav feature and the addition of idrive completes the car. Also the 2nd hump in the dash makes the interior much nicer looking imho.

nice to haves:
pdc - neat feature. would be nice to have PDC on both front and rear though
heated seats - very nice in those cold mornings. It's the only option that I regretted for not getting
sun shades - for pessenger comfort
active cruise control - neat
folded rear seats - useful when you need it.

avoid:
active steering - why add a middle man between the driver and the driven
awd - unless you're living in snow country

All the above are just MHO of course.

-hkj

Last edited by hkj; 07-25-2006 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #46
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
By choosing one of these cars, you put yourself at risk of being categorized as such.
I'll take the risk.

But "tools"? Not the right word here. If anyone is a tool, its the guy the guy in pickup tailgating me on a two lane road, or the soccer mom who gets all riled because I passed her on the right when she was going 75mph in the fastlane durring rush our.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #47
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1
Being a sales guy another thing is there are a lot of times I have other people in my car and I'd prefer a more private call rather than having it broadcast to all.
A good point. I wonder if theres a way to have it de-pair on command so you can take the call on the handset or headset?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #48
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
But "tools"? Not the right word here. If anyone is a tool, its the guy the guy in pickup tailgating me on a two lane road, or the soccer mom who gets all riled because I passed her on the right when she was going 75mph in the fastlane durring rush our.
Errr...a tool is somebody who's easily used or manipulated. Not sure how your examples fit that definition.
      07-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #49
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
A good point. I wonder if theres a way to have it de-pair on command so you can take the call on the handset or headset?
In this case I probably could just turn the BT off on my phone before I get in the car and take it directly that way but I still don't see $750 of value in this.

Thing is I am an electrical engineer and I love all things electronic...but when it comes to my car I want the simple things DONE VERY WELL...stick, sport, regular steering, a rear view mirror that I can dim manually...I don't want an integrated garage door opener...or folding mirrors...or a frieakin' compass...or, to me, relatively gimmicky comfort access...just the car please!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #50
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Why not? Am I going to be burned at the stake for heresy? Before that happens, at least give me a chance to slap an M3 badge on my car first! Oh noes!!1

Oh, and since you clearly missed the premise of the joke: it's usually unfair to generalize, but BMW owners/drivers are routinely stereotyped as being arrogant, assholes, yuppies, snobs, and the like. I find that stereotypes constitute unfair generalizations, but they DO exist for a reason - as it so happens, many (if not most) BMW owners actually ARE yuppie snobs and/or badge buyers! By choosing one of these cars, you put yourself at risk of being categorized as such.
Thats why I want the car
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #51
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Errr...a tool is somebody who's easily used or manipulated. Not sure how your examples fit that definition.
LMAO, got that definition from Webster's, didja?
If that's your definition then why did yo go rambling on like this:

"Oh, and since you clearly missed the premise of the joke: it's usually unfair to generalize, but BMW owners/drivers are routinely stereotyped as being arrogant, assholes, yuppies, snobs, and the like. I find that stereotypes constitute unfair generalizations, but they DO exist for a reason - as it so happens, many (if not most) BMW owners actually ARE yuppie snobs and/or badge buyers! By choosing one of these cars, you put yourself at risk of being categorized as such.?"

To back up your claim that buying a BMW makes you a tool? I suppose you're gonna have some explanation of how the above has anything to do with being used or manipulated? Come on, dude, you're smarter than this - I've read your posts - don't embarrass yourself. You called us all tools, and a couple of us called you out on it. Nothing out of the norm or unexpected here. If you want to retaliate by trying to pick apart everything I write then that's your perogative I guess, but do you really want to go there?

FWIW, To me a tool is anyone whose behavior exhibits a level of cluelessness or obliviousness. I guess that means your being a tool right now, but hey at least your not an arrogant yuppie snob like me.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In this case I probably could just turn the BT off on my phone before I get in the car and take it directly that way but I still don't see $750 of value in this.
Yeah maybe. I wonder if it will then re-pair if you turn BT back on?

Quote:
Thing is I am an electrical engineer and I love all things electronic...but when it comes to my car I want the simple things DONE VERY WELL...stick, sport, regular steering, a rear view mirror that I can dim manually...I don't want an integrated garage door opener...or folding mirrors...or a frieakin' compass...or, to me, relatively gimmicky comfort access...just the car please!
Heh heh, don't I know it - computer engineer, here. But certain things just make sense, like BT and CA. If it saves me from having to carry extra shit around (a keyfob and a headset) then I'm sold.

Other than that, I agree, Give me a ZSP and a manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #53
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LMAO, got that definition from Webster's, didja?
If that's your definition then why did yo go rambling on like this:

"Oh, and since you clearly missed the premise of the joke: it's usually unfair to generalize, but BMW owners/drivers are routinely stereotyped as being arrogant, assholes, yuppies, snobs, and the like. I find that stereotypes constitute unfair generalizations, but they DO exist for a reason - as it so happens, many (if not most) BMW owners actually ARE yuppie snobs and/or badge buyers! By choosing one of these cars, you put yourself at risk of being categorized as such.?"

To back up your claim that buying a BMW makes you a tool? I suppose you're gonna have some explanation of how the above has anything to do with being used or manipulated? Come on, dude, you're smarter than this - I've read your posts - don't embarrass yourself. You called us all tools, and a couple of us called you out on it. Nothing out of the norm or unexpected here. If you want to retaliate by trying to pick apart everything I write then that's your perogative I guess, but do you really want to go there?

FWIW, To me a tool is anyone whose behavior exhibits a level of cluelessness or obliviousness. I guess that means your being a tool right now, but hey at least your not an arrogant yuppie snob like me.
Does anybody have a sense of humor anymore? I should've expected this. If you've actually read my posts, you should well know that I have a very dry sense of humor - and that I rarely take myself or anything else very seriously (though I intentionally make it seem the other way around - in an almost ridiculously blatant fashion - as part of the joke). Perhaps it just doesn't translate well in print; I don't know. I'm not going to waste my time spelling out the joke point-by-point; either you get it or you don't.

So, for future reference, next time you see me say something like that, remember this post.

Case closed. Let's go back to ripping on BMW's nickel-and-dime optioning practices, shall we? I'm off to go find some more "Lexus is a Toyota" posts or "I saw a rebadged 325: OMG DIE POSER!" threads.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 07-25-2006 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #54
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anybody have a sense of humor anymore?
Absolutely. I guess I thought the laughing smilies should have been a good tip off.

I'll keep laughing as long as you'll join me.

Quote:
Perhaps it just doesn't translate well in print; I don't know.
Bingo.

Quote:
I'm not going to waste my time spelling out the joke point-by-point; either you get it or you don't.
Actually you did waste your time explaining it, since I got the explanation in your original, unedited post in the email notification.

Sorry, but you have to admit that one is funny.

Anyway, I do get it. The thing is, its just wasn't very funny. But its ok, its ok, all is good. In retrospect it is a little funny. Just a little though.

Quote:
So, for future reference, next time you see me say something like that, remember this post.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 12:03 AM   #55
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually you did waste your time explaining it, since I got the explanation in your original, unedited post in the email notification.
Yeah, yeah, I went back and forth on whether to include that portion - ultimately, I decided it cluttered up the post and did nothing to further my point. Probably should've deleted the part from the first draft of the post where I said I wouldn't waste my time, since it doesn't make sense as part of a revision (you're right, of course - how can I say I won't waste my time when I already have?), but whatever. So there.
      07-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #56
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I went back and forth on whether to include that portion - ultimately, I decided it cluttered up the post and did nothing to further my point. Probably should've deleted the part from the first draft of the post where I said I wouldn't waste my time, since it doesn't make sense as part of a revision (you're right, of course - how can I say I won't waste my time when I already have?), but whatever. So there.
AK, you are much better when you just post about engines and other technical stuff...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #57
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AK, you are much better when you just post about engines and other technical stuff...
Or when I don't try posting after my bed time. For some reason, I used the imaginary word "sensical" on another forum a couple days ago. Oops.
      07-26-2006, 06:18 AM   #58
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I got it and I still think it was freakin' hilarious! Keep up with the dry humour Ak!

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 06:47 AM   #59
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Does anybody have a sense of humor anymore? I should've expected this. If you've actually read my posts, you should well know that I have a very dry sense of humor - and that I rarely take myself or anything else very seriously (though I intentionally make it seem the other way around - in an almost ridiculously blatant fashion - as part of the joke). Perhaps it just doesn't translate well in print; I don't know. I'm not going to waste my time spelling out the joke point-by-point; either you get it or you don't.

Case closed. Let's go back to ripping on BMW's nickel-and-dime optioning practices, shall we? I'm off to go find some more "Lexus is a Toyota" posts or "I saw a rebadged 325: OMG DIE POSER!" threads.
Put me in the category of those who appreciate it!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #60
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfox
FYI - I'm waiting to buy the 335i when it comes out this fall. I'm new to BMW so I'm asking for some advice from owners themselves.

What options/packages do you recommend?

And, how do you like BMW NAV?

I do love my quattro, so i would enjoy a great suspension.
IMO, one option that you should seriously consider is active steering. This is a far more important upgrade to the car than other options such as NAV.
There have been many snide comments about AS on this thread, from folks who do NOT apparently have AS in their cars.
Before spec-ing out my 335 coupe order, I did a lot of research on AS, beginning with this forum, where you will find lots of informed comments. I have also driven AS both on and off the track and I came away very impressed with its benefits. But it was important for me to gather feedback from E90 owners with AS. I searched Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, and all of the BMW forums. I could not find one unhappy owner with AS. I also scanned the automotive literature for articles that mentioned Active Steering. I found strong support for it in Motor Trend, European Car and Canadian Driver, to just mention three publications. Here's what the editor of European Car wrote about the 330i with AS :
"Our 330i was ordered with AS which we really didn't know much about. After the first few minutes turning the steering wheel, it's obvious it makes this car a much different animal. Simply driving it through the parking garage is like driving an F1 car. The slightest nudge turns the BMW with razor-like sharpness, no more hand-over-hand stuff. As speed increases, the ratio grows taller but remains markedly tighter than a standard BMW. Although the first generation of active steering was left wanting (poor on-center feel and feedback), BMW basically reworked the entire system until they were satisfied. The end result is the best steering car I've ever driven. Ultimately, BMW's active steering makes our 330i more fun to drive. The downside is driving a car without active steering, especially after just getting out of the 330i. Everything else seems to steer like a school bus.
Active steering may be a hard sell for BMW dealers because it's not a visible option like larger alloy wheels or a moon roof. It is, however, just as rewarding as a more powerful engine or sport suspension. Think about that when you spec out your new 3 series." Les Bidrawn, Editor, European Car, July 2006.
Finally, these comments just published in Canadian Driver (read First Drive, 2007 335i Coupe, canadiandriver.com) about the new 335i coupe :
"Our test cars were equipped with BMW's active steering, which significantly adds to the car's feeling of agility and quickness. It's an optional extra, but you won't regret the additional cost as the benefits bring fully into relief the enthusiast character of this car. The handling is so sharp, the cornering so flat and brisk as it saloms through the Tyrolean curves..."

So, in summary, don't listen to uninformed commentators. Before you dismiss this very beneficial piece of advanced technology, do your own research and test drive a 3 series, with and without AS, then make your own decision.
The derogatory comments about AS from the uninformed remind me of similar comments when anti-lock braking was introduced by Mercedes and BMW; many people were then oppposed to this "new" advanced technology.
      07-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #61
martyl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Just to go on record, I refuse to participate in the "if you don't get a car exactly like mine you're an asshole" fest.

Look at the brochure. Talk to your CA. Take test drives. Decide.
Incredibly intelligent comment.
      07-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #62
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Just to add to DerekS's remark, I tried AS back when the E90 was launched and it is pretty smooth and very easy...many others would say that. If it came on the xi which I have then I would have gladly paid for it.

Appreciate 0