BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
askari
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

question about oil change interval

Hi Guys,

a bit of a newb when it comes to bmw maintenance.

i bought my car used (2011 128i) in July 2011. Bought it at 32,000KM. The previous owner did the oil change at 28,000KM in June 2011. "Yeah the previous owner drove a lot"

I recently got a service light at 48,000KM. Went to the dealer thinking I was going in for an oil change, but they say only brake fluid change, and that oil change was not for another 6000KM.

I thought the oil interval was 25,000KM or every year, whichever comes first?

Never owned a bmw before and the long intervals make make me nervous.. My WRX i would change every 6000KM.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by askari View Post

I thought the oil interval was 25,000KM or every year, whichever comes first?
Yes, the OCI is every 25K kms or once per year. Which ever comes first.

I would go with more frequent OCI's though. Every 6K kms sounds good to me. I try to change my oil around then. Or at worse case, by 10K kms or every four months. But that is me. I plan on keeping my car. Lots of people lease and don't care what the OCI is.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, the OCI is every 25K kms or once per year. Which ever comes first.

I would go with more frequent OCI's though. Every 6K kms sounds good to me. I try to change my oil around then. Or at worse case, by 10K kms or every four months. But that is me. I plan on keeping my car. Lots of people lease and don't care what the OCI is.
+1.. if you plan to keep your car do more frequent oil changes.. every 25k is ridiculas unless its miracle oil lmao.. I do mine every 8k or so.. but then again I only drive my car in the summer and less then 8k so at least once in the summer or 1 before spring and 1 around fall..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
askari
Private
Rep

thanks guys. do you take to the dealer or is there a preffered mechanic?

i'm in richmond hill. i'll get them to do the oil change now, and stick to a different schedule maybe 10K.

Also is ther ea document on what gets changed? i see no mention of air filters/cabin filters etc.. this condition based system is driving me nuts. i prefer changing things on a schedule lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

change oil twice a year, in Spring & Fall. Do it yourself. You must have a friend who can guide you and there are DIY here. Otherwise find a good independant BMW garage. Join BMWCCC.

128 Sp Pkg 6MT Sedona Red

Last edited by NorthernDancer; 06-19-2012 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: add car colour
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

...Also is there a document on what gets changed? I see no mention of air filters/cabin filters etc.. this condition based system (CBS) is driving me nuts. i prefer changing things on a schedule lol.

I have not seen any published CBS plans. Basically its an oil and filter change (at least!) every 25K kms (or 15K miles) or once per year, which ever comes first. Also check fluid levels, PS and coolant and washer fluid and check your brake pads for wear.

Also... every year you should also replace your pollen filter and wiper blades.

Every two years a brake fluid fluid. (its every year over here in Germany!)

Like I said above I would change your oil more frequently. There are a lot of pluses in doing so. Your oil gets less diluted. Which in turns means less crankcase vapors. And in my thinking might mean less carbon buildup on the valves.

I would also change the transmision fluid and diff fluid every 30K. Air filter every 60K. Fuel filter every 90K. Spark plugs every 45K for stock, every 20K or so IF you are tuned.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
askari
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I have not seen any published CBS plans. Basically its an oil and filter change (at least!) every 25K kms (or 15K miles) or once per year, which ever comes first. Also check fluid levels, PS and coolant and washer fluid and check your brake pads for wear.

Also... every year you should also replace your pollen filter and wiper blades.

Every two years a brake fluid fluid. (its every year over here in Germany!)

Like I said above I would change your oil more frequently. There are a lot of pluses in doing so. Your oil gets less diluted. Which in turns means less crankcase vapors. And in my thinking might mean less carbon buildup on the valves.

I would also change the transmision fluid and diff fluid every 30K. Air filter every 60K. Fuel filter every 90K. Spark plugs every 45K for stock, every 20K or so IF you are tuned.

Dack
thanks. you're talking miles right?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
thanks. you're talking miles right?
Yup! Sorry about that.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Took mine in for 1 year oil change since last, put only 12k on the car in that time but dealer said no way, only when light comes on or 1 month before due we will do an "early fill". So I said to hell with that, went to a local shop that does BMW and other imports, and had LubriMoly BMW approved LL4 thrown in. Cost me $100 but I want to keep my car in tip shape. They also told me the brake fluid was down to 22% and should be done, BMW dealer said (looking at the key fob info) not due until 2013! To hell with them! got that done too.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
askari
Private
Rep

thanks guys! called the dealer and they agreed to do the second oil change tomorrow.

What else should they be replacing? air filter, cabin etc..?

i can't believe they don't change these things sooner.. i wish there was a list that i can follow and get them changed on my own.

after this oil change i'll be going to Advanced Knowledge Automotive in Richmond Hill to get work done.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
thanks guys! called the dealer and they agreed to do the second oil change tomorrow.

i can't believe they don't change these things sooner.. i wish there was a list that i can follow and get them changed on my own.

after this oil change i'll be going to Advanced Knowledge Automotive in Richmond Hill to get work done.

Google Mike Miller's "Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule", you might find information on it online. Its copyright to him so you might have to contact him for a copy. I can't remember if it specifically addresses the E82 (1 series) but the E90 or E9x (3 series) guidelines are probably close enough.

While you're at it you should google for his writeup of the 128i in Roundel magazine. Gives the car a very glowing review. Well worth the read for 1er owners and fans of "old school" BMWs.

Last edited by Lucky1; 06-22-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
bmwhitman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
Quote:

Do you know where is the new location for Advanced Knowledge Automotive? I heard a rumour that he might have moved or closed his location? I might need to drop by for some work myself.
Appreciate 0